Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Congressman's plan to deport children of illegals sparks fir

Congressman's plan to deport children of illegals sparks firestorm
    Comments made by San Diego congressman at weekend 'tea party' gathering
    By Bob Ponting
    9:37 AM CDT, April 29, 2010

SAN DIEGO - Comments made by East County Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Alpine) continue to create quite a firestorm of controversy.

"Would you support deportation of natural-born American citizens that are the children of illegal aliens," Hunter was asked over the weekend at a "tea party" rally in Ramona, Calif. "I would have to, yes," Hunter said. "... We simply cannot afford what we're doing right now. We can't afford it. California's going under," he said. "Â… We're not being mean, we're just saying it takes more than just walking across the border to become an American citizen."

Talking to Fox 5 News by phone Wednesday, Hunter said his comments were misinterpreted.

"If you have parents that are here illegally, and they have a child, the parents that are here illegally are going to have to be sent home, so do you leave that child here without them? No. You probably send the child home with them even though the child is an American citizen," he said.

Immigrations rights activists like Richard Griswold Del Castillo said Hunter's comments were highly offensive.

"I think it's sad that an elected official like Mr. Hunter is trying to appeal to a very fringe group for political reasons," said Del Castillo, a volunteer with Border Angels.

Del Castillo said the decision about what to do with children after their parents are deported should be up to the families, not the government.

"He's basically advocating violating the Constitution of the U.S. by deporting U.S. citizens," said Del Castillo.

Hunter denied allegations that he was pandering to the tea party crowd.

"I'm not pandering to anybody," he said. "I think we need to enforce our immigration laws."

At the weekend tea party gathering, Hunter called illegal immigration a national security issue and said securing the country's border was necessary before taking any other steps toward immigration reform.

"Secure the border for me. Prove that it is secure. Prove that nobody can cross it illegally. Then we'll talk about the other stuff," he told the appreciative gathering over the weekend.

Hunter said there should be no amnesty for people who came here illegally. He said the government needs to go after businesses that hire undocumented workers, and he praised Arizona's new law requiring local police to check the immigration status of anyone suspected of being in the country illegally.

Hunter said solving the immigration problem is not complicated. "You just need the political will to do it, and I think we're gathering political will now, and this Arizona law is a fantastic starting point," he said.

Reaction to Hunter's comments was sharply divided on Fox 5's Facebook page. People either strongly supported his sentiments or angrily disputed them.

"It's about time somebody does something. We the people are really tired of all the illegals. I wish politicians would find their spine once in a while and do the right thing for a change," Christina Smith wrote. "He has got my vote! We are tired of all the illegals."

"If the parents are illegal, so are the children," Scott Quinnan said.

"Obviously, you are not familiar with the Constitution, Scott," Antonio Garcia wrote in reply. "If you're born on American soil, guess what, you're an American citizen!"

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/nationworld/ ... ationWorld%
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They can't afford to lose their wefare tickets and they wouldn't be able to drain the economy as effectiely.

If Mexico insists on advocating for its citizens in this country, then they should be under the same rules as foreign diplomats. Not under the jurisdiction of the U.S.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here is the original story
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-196590.html

Deporting minor dependents with illegal alien parents is standard international practice. We can not afford to be the exception.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I think it's sad that an elected official like Mr. Hunter is trying to appeal to a very fringe group for political reasons," said Del Castillo, a volunteer with Border Angels.
    Ya Mr. Del Castillo, the people you refer to as a "fringe group" who want all immigration laws enforced now, includes about 75% of U.S. citizens.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

His name is actually Griswold his mother is del Castillo
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)