Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Construction pay is dropping

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs. ... 10414/1029
    This is a printer friendly version of an article from www.heraldtribune.com
    To print this article open the file menu and choose Print.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Article published Jul 31, 2006
    Construction pay is dropping

With all the discussion about illegal immigrants, the focus has been on them picking tomatoes and oranges. However, this is not all they do.

Talk to any construction worker in Sarasota and one will find that, in the last five to seven years, illegal Mexicans have come to represent about 50 percent of the work force. The result of this cheap, illegal labor is an actual reduction in skilled-trade wages to nearly the lowest level in the country. While Florida has always been known for paying low wages to skilled carpenters, electricians, etc., wages have actually dropped recently.

In 1978, I had four years of experience in the electrical trade and was paid $8 an hour. The national average is now $18 per hour. I recently spoke with a friend who has been in the trade for four years and is making $11 an hour. Five years ago, he would have made $16.

Not only are undocumented immigrants here illegally, they've been using our schools, hospitals and social services for free. Now they are driving wages so low in the construction industry that many people I know are looking for a new line of work. Yet the Herald-Tribune publishes mostly stories favorable to illegals.

Take a look at the local construction scene and talk to legal Americans. The illegal-worker situation is slowly destroying their lives.

Mike Hill

Sarasota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

jimpasz--was in construction in Miami for 20 years, no longer, thank God!! but I know what you're talking about. I was in Estero on highway 41 over the weekend..there's ALOT of construction going on there..might suggest you look there if you need a job. I know there's illegals there working but I've heard that they aren't as prevelant as it used to be 3-4 years ago. Worth a shot..
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)