Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cop Suing Arizona Stole Toys from Needy Children

A second full article with video included is printed out below the following:

Cop Suing Arizona Stole Toys from Needy Children
    By Jon Feere, July 22, 2010

The media has been busy highlighting the supposed moral superiority of law enforcement officers opposed to Arizona’s SB 1070. The darling of the anti-Arizona effort is Phoenix police officer David Salgado who sued Arizona claiming that he wouldn’t be able to keep himself from racially profiling people if SB 1070 were to remain law.

The CBS affiliate in Phoenix has broken a story which highlights a part of Mr. Salgado's past that the mainstream media has decided to forget. While on the police force, Officer Salgado and his brother were reprimanded for stealing toys from a charity drive. The toys, which were intended to bring joy to needy families, instead ended up going to the Salgados' family members. As CBS explains:

Phoenix police Officer David Salgado has often said he is fighting Senate Bill 1070 in court on moral grounds.

"I knew right then and there that I did the right thing," Salgado said when he watched his attorney bring the first legal challenge to Arizona’s new immigration law.

But Salgado, the point man for the suit, has a moment in his police past that raises serious moral questions.

"It's a name I will never forget till I die, and I thought, 'Wow, I can't believe that guy is in the news,'" said W. Steven Martin, founder of the W. Steven Martin Police Toy Drive, a charity in the Valley for which officers bring toys to families that have very little of their own.

In 1997, David Salgado and his police officer brother Rick were accused of taking toys intended for needy children and giving them to their own extended families.

"It was unbelievable that somebody would put personal greed over a family they could make a difference with for a lifetime," Martin said.

Rick Salgado lost his job over the incident, but according to CBS 5 News archives, the police review board recommended David Salgado be suspended for 240 hours.

Officer Salgado is suing Arizona with the help of "Chicanos Por La Causa" – an open-border group that previously sued Arizona over their "Legal Arizona Workers Act," which requires employers to use E-Verify. The 9th Circuit ruled against La Causa.
    http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/o ... 717272.pdf

The full article and a video report are available online.

http://www.cis.org/feere/Cop-Suing-Ariz ... y-Children

Links within the original are available by clicking on the source link above.

The full article about Ofc(s) Salgado is printed below; a video is included at that source.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

4:24pm | July 22, 2010

Video
    SB1070 Challenger Has Questionable Past

SB 1070 Challenger Has Questionable Past

Officer David Salgado Accused Of Stealing Toys From Needy Children

Pat McReynolds
    Reporter, KPHO.com

POSTED: 10:34 pm MST July 16, 2010
    UPDATED: 10:05 pm MST July 20, 2010

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Phoenix police Officer David Salgado has often said he is fighting Senate Bill 1070 in court on moral grounds.

"I knew right then and there that I did the right thing," Salgado said when he watched his attorney bring the first legal challenge to Arizona's new immigration law.

But Salgado, the point man for the suit, has a moment in his past that raises questions about his morality.

"It’s a name I will never forget till I die, and I thought, 'Wow, I can’t believe that guy is in the news,'" said W. Steven Martin, founder of the W. Steven Martin Police Toy Drive, a charity in the Valley in which officers bring toys to families that have very little of their own.

In 1997, David Salgado and his brother, Rick, who is also a police officer, were accused of taking toys intended for needy children and giving them to their own extended families.

"It was unbelievable that somebody would put personal greed over a family they could make a difference with for a lifetime," Martin said.

Rick Salgado lost his job over the incident, but according to CBS 5 News archives, the police review board recommended David Salgado be suspended for 240 hours.

CBS 5 News called David Salgado to ask him about the incident.

"I was not suspended for 240 hours. That’s a lie. Put it this way: If you do your research, you’ll find out," Salgado said.

CBS 5 News spoke with people familiar with the case who said Salgado not only took toys, but he wrote down the name of a family known to be in dire need of help, and instead kept the toys for himself.

His personnel file shows no record of his discipline, but according to department policy, after 10 years an officer is allowed to ask that his record be scrubbed clean.

"I believe in morals. Also, I believe that we’re human beings and we all make mistakes," Salgado said Friday.

"What happened 10, 15 years ago doesn’t mean you can’t change, but it also means you should keep an eye on that person and always question, 'Why would they do that then?' and 'What are they looking for now?'" Martin said.

In the 25 years of the W. Steven Martin Police Toy Drive, the Salgado brothers are the only officers accused of taking toys.

The judge who heard Salgado's challenge to SB 1070 has yet to make a ruling on its merit.

http://www.kpho.com/news/24292722/detail.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How will this crime affect his standing in court? He certainly isn't coming in with "clean hands!!!" How terrible for the poor children!

par for the course..... he wants to steal arizona for his "extended family" too. my peeps down in phoenix say the cops are all lined up with riot gear, to quell threats of mass uprising at the state capitol. aznews.com? im just getting info now......