http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bi ... _27-22/GOV

Cordle faces Democratic foe in Ward 5
By DAVID ABRAMS, Staff Writer
When Ward 5 voters go to the polls on Nov. 8, they'll choose between an incumbent steeped in law enforcement experience and a challenger well-versed in development issues and promising better communication with voters.

Alderman David H. Cordle Sr., the only Republican on the City Council up for re-election, faces James Turner, a Democrat who has been on numerous committees covering such disparate issues as planning and zoning, human resources and the city charter. Mr. Turner is the executive director of the Opportunities Industrialization Center, a job training and placement program.

"I'm concerned with growth and development, because that was what most people talked to me about," said Mr. Turner, a retired director of printing for the Navy and a supporter of Mayor Ellen O. Moyer.

Mr. Turner, 67, said he hasn't heard from Mr. Cordle since the last election.

"His constituent services are poor, and I want to make sure I effectively communicate with my constituents," Mr. Turner said.

Mr. Cordle, 47, said his strength is responding to calls from his constituents, and noted that he has scheduled a second public meeting on Wednesday to discuss the controversial annexation of the 179-acre Katherine properties on Forest Drive with Hunt Meadow residents.

"I don't see the need to reach out and make personal contact with every constituent," he said. "When I notice there's a problem in a particular area in the ward, that's where I take action."

Mr. Cordle, chief investigator for county State's Attorney's Office, said he has successfully lobbied for a loosening of rules so people obviously over 21 don't get carded for buying liquor, tightened up the hate crimes law in the city and backed support for the nonprofit groups that have taken over the Thomas Point Lighthouse.

Both candidates support legislation that would control growth by blocking projects at failing intersections or near overcrowded schools.

They differ on taxes. Mr. Cordle supports reducing the annual cap on property tax bills from 10 to 4 percent. Mr. Turner said he needs to review the issue further.

Broken down by party registration, the ward includes 1,122 Democrats, 879 Republicans and 507 unaffiliated or third-party voters.

The ward runs south from the Hilltop Lane and Primrose Road area, down to Hunt Meadow and Harness Creek View. According to the candidates, it has a booming Latino population.

Census figures show the number of immigrants from Latin and South America in Annapolis has increased from less than 500 to roughly 2,300 over the last decade. Officials believe the actual number is higher because of uneven responses to census questionnaires and an inability to track illegal immigrants accurately.

Both candidates said the city needs to prepare for rising health-care costs and other issues regarding immigrants.

Mr. Turner said the city needs to invest more in programs that teach English, and both candidates support adding a Latino liaison office in city government.

"They're going to have to, if they want to stay here, learn how to speak English," Mr. Turner said.

Another problem with the changing demographic is a growing presence of Latino gangs, and a practice called "hot bunking," where a large number of cars are parked in front of a house because multiple families are crammed inside, illegally living together, Mr. Cordle said.

"We need to nip that in the bud," he said.

The candidates have slightly different approaches to growth and development. Mr. Turner wants the city to tighten the rules and develop a plan for annexations that looks ahead 20 years. Mr. Cordle is co-sponsoring a bill to enact an adequate public facilities law that would block proposed developments when water, sewer, roads or schools can't handle more growth.

They also disagree about how the budget process should work. Mr. Cordle said aldermen need to allow the mayor to set the budget, then ask tough questions. Mr. Turner favors requiring the mayor to submit a line-item budget that contains more information than just highlights.

"We have to be honest and not have a smoke-and-mirrors approach," Mr. Turner said.