Councilman Wants To Crack Down On Illegal Immigrants

By Nefertiti Jaquez
POSTED: Tuesday, September 7, 2010
UPDATED: 7:51 am CDT September 7, 2010

TOMBALL, Texas -- A Tomball city councilman wants to crack down on illegal immigration.

WATCH IT: Tomball To Consider Immigration Ordinance
"We got illegal immigrants coming into our county right now and picking up Social Security. How is that fair?" Councilman Derek Townsend asked.

Towsend said he's been working on fighting illegal immigration for 10 years. He said that in the wake of the controversial Arizona immigration bill which was largely struck down by a federal judge, his ideas are gaining traction.

On Tuesday, Townsend plans to introduce an ordinance that would prevent illegal immigrants from renting or owning property and owning and operating a business.

"I feel like people who come here illegally are taking the bread and butter away from those who have come here legally off their table," said Townsend.

Some residents said they agree with Townsend.

"I work and I pay my taxes, and I feel everyone else should too," said one resident.

Some residents said they don't agree with Townsend. Elizabeth Hunt said that as the daughter of South American immigrants, she believes this isn't a cut-and-dried issue.

"Everyone wants to be treated fairly. They should be able to get their paperwork and become legal," said Hunt.

The meeting where Townsend will introduce the ordinance will be at Tomball City Hall at 7 p.m.

Councilman Wants To Crack Down On Illegal Immigrants
By Nefertiti Jaquez

POSTED: Tuesday, September 7, 2010
UPDATED: 7:51 am CDT September 7, 2010

EmailPrintTOMBALL, Texas -- A Tomball city councilman wants to crack down on illegal immigration.

WATCH IT: Tomball To Consider Immigration Ordinance
"We got illegal immigrants coming into our county right now and picking up Social Security. How is that fair?" Councilman Derek Townsend asked.

Towsend said he's been working on fighting illegal immigration for 10 years. He said that in the wake of the controversial Arizona immigration bill which was largely struck down by a federal judge, his ideas are gaining traction.

On Tuesday, Townsend plans to introduce an ordinance that would prevent illegal immigrants from renting or owning property and owning and operating a business.

"I feel like people who come here illegally are taking the bread and butter away from those who have come here legally off their table," said Townsend.

Some residents said they agree with Townsend.

"I work and I pay my taxes, and I feel everyone else should too," said one resident.

Some residents said they don't agree with Townsend. Elizabeth Hunt said that as the daughter of South American immigrants, she believes this isn't a cut-and-dried issue.

"Everyone wants to be treated fairly. They should be able to get their paperwork and become legal," said Hunt.

The meeting where Townsend will introduce the ordinance will be at Tomball City Hall at 7 p.m.

http://rss.msnbc.msn.com/id/39037161/ns ... ouston_tx/