http://www.avpress.com/n/02/0302_s7.hts

Councilman: 'Washington, do your job'

This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press on Friday, March 2, 2007.
By MARISSA BELLES
Valley Press Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LANCASTER - After expressing deep disappointment with the federal government, Councilman Andy Visokey asked the city to pass a resolution calling for the enforcement of federal immigration laws.
The Republican councilman said Palmdale passed a similar resolution a few weeks ago and suggested all cities, including Lancaster, take a cue from Palmdale.

"I thought it was a good idea and I think other cities should get on board and do the same thing," Visokey said. "I truly feel every time the federal government fails to do their job, it puts additional costs on local governments and our public schools."

Visokey also said he was tired of the federal government focusing energy on social programs when "they should be focused on foreign policy and immigration."

"Bottom line is we should never have to talk about this issue," Visokey said. "I'm excited Palmdale brought this up a couple weeks ago and I feel it is important we add this to our list of items."

Visokey said it grieves him to criticize the federal government since the GOP has been in power for the last six years.

"This resolution is simple, it basically says, 'Washington, do your job when it comes to illegal immigration,' " Visokey said.

The motion was brought forward by Visokey, seconded by Councilman Ron Smith and approved unanimously by the council.

Visokey and Smith have been the frontrunners on several anti-immigration measures adopted by Lancaster.

In November, Smith introduced a measure that prohibits matricula consular cards from being considered a valid form of identification for those wanting to do business with the city.

A matricula consular card, or identification card, is a Mexican government-issued identification card that demonstrates a Mexican national is living outside the country. The card resembles a California ID card, but it bears the colors of the Mexican flag: red, green and white.

The council unanimously agreed with Smith and Visokey in August that business licenses should have an area where the applicant agrees not to employ undocumented or illegal workers. In July the council passed another motion adding a stipulation to city contracts that anyone working for the city must be a legal U.S. worker.

mbelles@avpress.com