Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Counties defend CASA pickets of Minutemen

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20060416 ... -1235r.htm

By Keyonna Summers
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published April 17, 2006

Officials with Montgomery and Prince George's counties say the taxpayer-funded CASA of Maryland advocacy group has a constitutional right to picket outside the homes and businesses of members of the Minutemen, a group that photographs employers hiring day laborers and illegal aliens.
    "What's good for the Minutemen is good for the laborers," said Prince George's County Councilman Will Campos, a Democrat. "Let's face it -- don't get mad because somebody's doing the same thing you're doing."
    CASA officials say that they are just reacting to "provocation" by the Minutemen and that the picketing protests would be like those staged in front of the homes of employers who don't pay laborers.
    "It's proven to be an effective way of bringing publicity and ensuring that people pay their wages," said Peter Shiras, who is on CASA's board of directors. "This was not something that was instigated by us [and] I don't think CASA is trying to pick a fight here."
    CASA is also training legal observers who would document but not protest the activities of the Minutemen while they monitor the day laborers in Maryland.
    Mr. Shiras said there's a "big difference" between the Minutemen, who he says are trying to intimidate CASA employees, and CASA, which is trying to "bring publicity" to the Minutemen's actions.
    Spokesmen for Montgomery and Prince George's counties said the actions of CASA employees and volunteers are independent of the county's views. They also say that CASA is an independent contractor and that county funds do not support its monitoring activities.
    "They have a contract to perform a certain set of services and that's what they're paid for," said David Weaver, a Montgomery County spokesman. CASA is "not an official county agency. They don't speak for the county government anymore than [other groups] who also receive money from the county."
    Montgomery County has spent nearly $1.6 million in fiscal 2006 in contracts with CASA for day-laborer and community centers in Wheaton and Silver Spring, and health and language services for thousands of residents.
    Takoma Park pays about $40,000 annually for a temporary day-laborer center. Prince George's County last year pledged $91,000 to the opening of a center in Langley Park.
    Baltimore has approved a $75,000 contract to open a permanent center this spring to replace a temporary one monitored by CASA, which formed about 20 years ago to provide assistance to Central American refugees but now offers advocacy, legal, language and health services.
    Mr. Weaver declined to comment on the Maryland Minutemen or its president, Stephen Schreiman, who has called for the Justice Department to investigate CASA and has urged financial contributors to stop supporting the organization. The Minutemen have mainly targeted an informal gathering site at a church in Gaithersburg.
    Montgomery County law prohibits picketing outside private homes unless a public meeting is being held inside. However, protesters are allowed to picket outside businesses.
    Gaithersburg officials recently drafted similar legislation after realizing the county code did not apply to the city. An incident unrelated to the CASA issue prompted the move, officials said.
    Barb Matthews, city manager of Takoma Park said, the municipality's role is to prevent violence and other problems "but it's really not the role of the city to say who does what, or whose opinion is wrong or whose is right."
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Montgomery County law prohibits picketing outside private homes unless a public meeting is being held inside. However, protesters are allowed to picket outside businesses.

maybe they haven't heard yet, but the 'illegals' are immune to the law.

but keep marching and keep picketing --- the citizens and employers will soon learn these people are a threat to our peace and tranquility
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I must have read this wrong because i believe it stated that the counties had changed the law to allow the protesting and picketing in front of priviate homes so that CASA could picket in front of the homes of the Minutemen. Please somebody read this for me and tell me that is not what happened i've been reading large documents today and i'm tired. Thanks for the Help
    Your Rights END where MY Rights Begin. You have NO Rights if You Are ILLEGAL.

now I'm confused!

"Let's face it -- don't get mad because somebody's doing the same thing you're doing."

I don't think anybody should be able to picket in front of somebody's house . . . if the Minutemen are picketing 'businesses' hiring illegals in violation of the law, how is that the same thing?
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Hmm, In a local editorial CASA threatened to picket the schools of the the Minutemen's children. Real nice, lets threaten children.

/I love my county