Commissioner: County Should Be 'Sanctuary' For Immigrants
Proposal Comes After Two Incidents With Immigrants

POSTED: 5:52 pm CDT September 14, 2006

CHICAGO -- Cook County Commissioner Roberto Maldonado on Thursday proposed making Cook County a "sanctuary" county for undocumented immigrants.

The proposal comes after two recent incidents involving undocumented immigrants, NBC5's Natalie Martinez reported. Maldonado chaired a public hearing on the matter Thursday morning.

"It will prohibit county employees, and Cook County law enforcement professionals, from engaging themselves in (Immigration and Naturalization Service)-type of activities," he said.

In an incident on Monday, Martinez reported, sworn officers at Stroger Hospital allegedly mistreated Saul Santiago's 75-year-old uncle, Augustin Sotomayor.

Sotomayor, who is Puerto Rican, was waiting for his wife in a no-parking zone on Monday when the guards approached and allegedly questioned his ethnicity and legal citizenship. Sotomayor suffered a stroke last year, and family members said he was moving at 40 percent of his normal speed.

"He's feeling abused mentally and physically," Santiago said.

The incident is being investigated by hospital officials and the FBI, Martinez reported.

In another incident, Ernesto Cruz said he was standing with his bike when two officers wearing hats that said "U.S. Border Patrol" hauled him into the station, presuming he was an undocumented immigrant.

"They handcuffed me and put me in the car and took me to the police station," he said.

At the hearing, several people spoke out in favor of the idea.

"We're all immigrants," said 13-year-old Richard Cagnetta. "We were born in the United States, but we are all immigrants. The only people who are not immigrants are Native Americans."

"The sanctuary is a beacon of hope, like the light of the Statue of Liberty," said Dale Asis, an immigrant. "Giving that hope to all immigrants."

Not everyone favored Maldonado's proposal.

"By the mere numbers of people living in the country illegally, we're creating a nation of lawlessness," said one woman.

Maldonado and those who support the proposal said they were confident that the proposal would be pushed through the board as early as next month.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/9852532/detail.html