Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Critics Say Immigration Parody Song Is Racist

http://cbs11tv.com/local/local_story_284171847.html

(CBS 11 News) WACO A central Texas country music band has produced a song that they say is a humorous spoof on a serious subject - illegal immigration, but critics say its fueling racism.

In Waco the song is rubbing some Hispanics the wrong way.

At one club, its dance night and the audience is waiting for one song - "So Long Texas - Hello Mexico."

The song conjures up a Texas cowboy moving to Mexico to live off the Mexican government. The lyrics have the cowboy singing about how turn-about is fair play with Mexicans illegally moving here.

Singer Johnnie Bradshaw suspected the song could be controversial when no one else wanted to record it. “If 80-percent of the people feel the same way, why can't we write a song for that 80-percent? Doesn't the majority count?” Bradshaw asked.

Some people are more concerned about the message than the majority. “When I heard the song I realized it was playing into the national hysteria against immigrants,” said Ernesto Fraga, ‘Tiempo’ newspaper publisher.

Fraga, the publisher of the central Texas bilingual newspaper, has spoken out against the song and he's gotten hate mail in return.

“If it's not a racist song, then why are racists championing it now?” Fraga said.

But Bradshaw insists its humor and explains he even has Hispanics in his family.

DJ’s are playing the song on some central Texas radio stations and in just four weeks, more than 70,000 people have visited the website selling the CD.

Critics say they're offended by the lyrics, but Bradshaw is planning a sequel, with the imaginary Texas cowboy on the other side of the border.

The new song will have the cowboy singing about the changed landscape, with the lyrics, “What's this fence you built? I can't get back across, help, I want to go home.”
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

What did they expect? Everything is racist..........get over it! It's trite, overused and disregarded anymore. I don't think they even know what a racist is or the KKK for that matter.

Too bad....if the shoe fits!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The song says nothing derogatory. I think those who are calling people racist really need to look in the mirror. How many signs have we seen with teh word "Gringo" in it? Give me a break. Hey, if you are offended, dont listen to it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

...playing into the national hysteria against immigrants,” said Ernesto Fraga, ‘Tiempo’ newspaper publisher.
    Fraga, what kind of national hysteria are you writing about today All the racists that happen to like a parody. You are attempting to create "hysteria" over a song. Get real. Why don't you publish an article about what you really don't like about the song? Dispute every untruth about the song. Point out all the false conceptions. Why are you offended to the point you are calling people that like the song racist? The truth is, the song depicts what illegal aliens are doing and you don't want that ugly truth out so you have attacked the writers, listeners, supporters... by declaring them racist.

Fraga, when was the last time you wrote an article about illegal aliens crossing the border and the crimes they commit? Don't forget when they pick up their fake documents, obtain a job illegally, drive with out a license or insurance, crossed to deliver an anchor baby... Please, write a hard cold factual article about that. Tell the truth, the ugly truth about illegal aliens. Oh, but you would never do that because you would have to deem yourself a racist for writing the truth about illegal aliens and admitting that they are continually committing crimes.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)