Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Crowds of immigrants gather in Salem to protest license

Crowds of immigrants gather in Salem to protest license changes

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com
    Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article
    View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site
    YouNewsTV YouNewsTV™
    Related Content

* Kulongoski looks for driver's license compromise
    * Emotions run high at driver's license hearing

Story Published: Jan 22, 2008 at 12:59 PM PST

Story Updated: Jan 22, 2008 at 1:38 PM PST
    By KATU Web Staff
    Video
    SALEM, Ore. - Busloads of immigrants and their supporters arrived in Salem Tuesday to attend a second round of public testimony on requiring proof of legal presence in the United States before a driver's license is issued in Oregon.

A February 4 deadline set by an executive order issued by Governor Kulongoski will require a valid Social Security number be given before a driver's license is issued.

That order will take effect as planned, but could be overturned once Kulongoski leaves office.

Only the Oregon Legislature has the power to change state law and make the change permanent.

KATU Salem Bureau Chief Melica Johnson estimated 3,000 people were planning on being in attendance Tuesday afternoon.

Nestor Garcia, who opposes making the order permanent, said that most people who were against the changes were in the U.S. to work and survive.

One key point lawmakers will be considering is how long a driver's license should remain valid.

Currently, persons inside the U.S. with a valid work visa can get a driver's license that is valid for eight years.

Typically, that period is far longer than the time allowed by most visas to legally be in the United States.

Supporters of the proposed changes say the visa/driver's license time limit mismatch is a security concern.

The meeting Tuesday was scheduled for 1 p.m.

http://www.katu.com/news/13980752.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Crowds of immigrants gather in Salem to protest license changes
    A relatively rare slip-up from the folks at KATU on the terminology front.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This just shows how low we have sunk that protests from foreign nationals are taking place over being legal to be licensed. This should not be happening. There should be NO question as to whether it will take place or not. I am sick of them trying to "protest" themselves into legality and the leaders not standing firm.

3000 immigrates?

There you go ICE - 3000 already rounded up for you, just back your truck up to the door.

Where in the Heck are they (ICE)??
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

that what I was going to Say _Does ICE exist in Oregon?
    crowds -good for those mexican illegals ! I hope they are stupid enough to do more demonstrations to help wake up Oregonians.
    I just got back from seeing my Surgeon at OHSU and the waiting room was packed with illegals.
    A very loud crowd of mexicans speaking spanish - three men and a woman and an anchor baby who will need surgery on his foot , took over the waiting room.
    all the brochures were in spanish.
    there was another pregnant latina .
    They were loud :screeching kid who they named Kenneth.
    and loud spanish and then talking on their cell phones.
    all in all there were about ten and I dont think they are covered on their under the table jobs in construction.
    GREAT AMERICANS GET TO PAY FOR THE ANCHOR BABIES FOOT SURGERY
    Banned

(((Crowds of immigrants gather in Salem to protest license changes )))

It should read....
    Crowds of Ignorants gather in Salem to demand more freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by MadInChicago
    3000 immigrates?

There you go ICE - 3000 already rounded up for you, just back your truck up to the door.

Where in the Heck are they (ICE)??
    Yeah, drop a net over them!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

I have ALWAYS wondered why they are not arrested at the protests. They have SO much nerve protesting this. Could you imagine sneaking into another country and then protesting for your right to get a drivers license?! It's just crazy!

If I saw ICE show up at one of their "rallies" and round them up, I would laugh so hard I'd wet myself.
    This would certainly be the way to do it. They have a lot of gall to protest in this country. If it was mexico, they would be deported for meddling in the internal affairs of the country.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast