Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cruz: Passing amnesty plan would be ‘self destructive,’ cost GOP the Senate

By Wesley Lowery
    February 27 at 9:59 am
    The Washington Post

(David J. Phillip/AP)

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said Thursday morning that the Republican Party is poised to retake control of the Senate in November. But he warned that if the GOP-controlled House was to pass immigration reforms that includes "amnesty," that would hinder the Republicans’ chances in the Senate.

"If the House went down the road of passing a majority amnesty plan, I think that could screw up the election," Cruz said during a morning event hosted by Politico on Thursday. "I think the odds of Harry Reid remaining majority leader would jump tenfold."

Cruz's comments came during wide-ranging breakfast interview conducted by Politico's Mike Allen, hosted at the Newseum, during which the senator leveled harsh criticism of the news media, defended New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie -- calling the controversy over the closure of lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge "nonsense" -- and blasted President Obama's foreign policy and Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid's lack of movement on addressing the need to stimulate job growth.

Asked by Allen if the Republican Party is in a better position now than it was following Mitt Romney's presidential election loss in 2012, Cruz said that he believes so. Were this year's midterms held today, Cruz said, the GOP would take the Senate.

"I think 2014 is poised to be a very, very strong Republican year," Cruz said.

But, the senator and tea party hero noted that one factor that could derail the Republican chances in retaking the upper chamber would be if the GOP leadership "abandoned their principles."

"The way you win elections is you give people a reason to vote," Cruz said. "And taking principled stands is the way you do that."

Cruz was the leading critic of the GOP Senate leadership's move to allow Democrats to pass a debt ceiling increase without attaching entitlement or other spending cuts to the measure -- declaring after the vote that every Republican should have voted against bill.

"The debt ceiling debacle illustrates everything that's wrong with Washington," Cruz said.

Cruz declined several opportunities to directly criticize Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), but he also refused to comment on whether or not he believes McConnell or Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) should be reelected in their primary contests against tea party challengers.

"I'm likely going to stay out of Republican primaries," Cruz said repeatedly, declining to say whether or not he will personally vote for Cornyn or for one of his two tea party challengers. "That's between me and the ballot box."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...op-the-senate/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Unless or until Ted Cruz is ever placed (voted in?) into the position of the President of the United States, we will never know whether he nor any other politician is genuine in their promises to restore our national sovereignty, seal our borders, and reverse the invasion of illegal aliens.

Meanwhile, consider what we DO know about Ted Cruz where it counts. You decide ..

Another one bites the Dust!! TED CRUZ = AMNESTY

Started by AuntB, 09-16-2013 0

I KNOW you're all desperate to BELIEVE in SOMEONE! Me too! But aren't you tired of being conned??? There ARE decent people out there to support, but you can't as long as you won't let go of the LIARS!
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

People are sometimes reluctant to vote for someone, if they think that that person cannot win. But voting for the candidate whose positions are closest to ours does send a message to the person who is elected that there are citizens out there who are watching.

IMO there's not much point to voting for someone whom we know holds positions that we are absolutely against. This is particularly the case when polls of citizens continually show that they prefer deportation and enforcement. The desires of citizens will become stronger as the middle class continues to shrink.

Patience and persistence.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade