Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CT: New Haven proposes first ID card for undocumented immigr

New Haven proposes first ID card for undocumented immigrants
    By John Christoffersen, Associated Press Writer | May 18, 2007

NEW HAVEN, Conn. --Like many immigrants, Miguel Cienfuendes lives in fear of being robbed. His brother was stabbed to death last fall.

"I don't walk the streets any more," Cienfuendes said Friday, speaking through an interpreter. "Where we live it's scary. We don't know when they are going to come after us thinking we have money."

City officials describe the immigrants as "walking ATMS," easy robbery targets because they typically cannot open bank accounts without identification and are often reluctant to report crimes.

New Haven hopes to become the first city in the nation to issue identification cards to undocumented immigrants. The $10 cards would make it easier for immigrants to open bank accounts and encourage them to cooperate with police, proponents say.

"I think what it will do is create a safer, more civil community," said Mayor John DeStefano. "We're not making a political statement here."

Backers say the plan could serve as a model for dealing with the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants.

But Ted Pechinski, an opponent of illegal immigration who is organizing a demonstration against the proposal next month, said ID cards would encourage more illegal immigration.

"I think it's awful," said Pechinski, who lives in North Branford. "It's going to attract many more illegals to New Haven. The overflow will go to the surrounding towns. Having this ID says you're welcome here. We will give you all the protection you need, even though you are illegal."

Michael Wishnie, a Yale law professor who has researched the proposal, said it is far fetched to think immigrants will travel thousands of miles across an international border to get a New Haven ID card that does not change their immigration status.

"I think it's a very wise, practical policy and I think it's on sound legal footing," Wishnie said.

Cities have long issued cards for programs such as access to beaches, but officials say new Haven would be the first to issue an all-purpose municipal ID card for residents, including undocumented immigrants. The card also would have a debit component for residents to use for parking meters and city services.

A finance committee of the Board of Aldermen approved the plan Thursday night. The full board is expected to take up the proposal next month.

Hundreds of immigrants showed up at the meeting Thursday to support the proposal. They cited recent crimes against immigrants, including a robbery in which a caretaker and her 7-year-old son were left bound in a home for three days.

Other cities such as New York are considering issuing ID cards, officials said. Advocacy groups in San Francisco and Chicago have inquired about New Haven's plan.

New Haven, with a population of about 125,000, has about 15,000 illegal immigrants, city officials said.

Unlike other Connecticut cities such as Danbury that have cracked down on illegal immigration, New Haven has taken a welcoming approach. Under an order issued in December, police do not ask about a person's immigration status when talking with residents and making arrests.

For Cienfuendes, who moved to Connecticut from Mexico, the card would provide some welcome security.

"It's a good idea," he said. "It's going to be a valued ID in New Haven. It's very helpful to us."

http://www.boston.com/news/education/hi ... mmigrants/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Backers say the plan could serve as a model for dealing with the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants.
    What would serve as a model for dealing with illegal immigrants is a plan to deport them!

Hundreds of immigrants showed up at the meeting Thursday to support the proposal.
    Why wasn't ICE there too? Notice how the reporter failed to mention that the "hundreds of immigrants" were illegal immigrants. Those that are here legally have ID cards.

I hope Judicial Watch gets involved on this because there are laws against aiding and abetting illegal immigrants!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MA:New Haven Proposes first I.D. card for undocumented immig

MA should be CONN for Connecticut, where New Haven is located.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: MA:New Haven Proposes first I.D. card for undocumented i

Quote Originally Posted by Texas2step
    MA should be CONN for Connecticut, where New Haven is located.
    Oop! Thanks Tex for pointing that out.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn