Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cubans Control Fla. Pot Grow-House Trade

Cubans control Fla. pot grow-house trade

Published: Oct. 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 18 (UPI) -- Cuban refugees control hundreds of marijuana grow houses in South Florida, dominating a lucrative trade that is nearly punishment-free, police say.

Being caught for indoor cultivation of the ultra-potent pot, which sells for $4,500 per pound, usually draws only probation, unlike the lengthy prison sentences and deportation faced by immigrants engaged in other aspects of the drug trade, The Orlando Sentinel reported Sunday.

The newspaper, citing the U.S. Department of Justice, court records and interviews, reported that since 2005, Cuban drug trafficking organizations have set up hundreds of new grow houses from Miami to Atlanta.

"This takes me back to the old days of the mob," Polk County, Fla., sheriff's Organized Crime Squad Sgt. Julio Lima said. "This is organized crime at its best."

The Sentinel said South Florida police officials estimate Cubans who arrived in the United States since 2005 represent 85 percent to 90 percent of the suspects arrested on grow-house charges. In grow-house hotspot Poinciana, Fla., Cuban-born suspects make up 85 percent of those arrested.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/10/ ... 255896574/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Most people are aware of is the fact that most Cubans these days get smuggled in by smugglers. These days finding a raft on shore is extremely rare. Relatives pay thousands to bring relatives here. Those people working those pot grow houses are people who were smuggled in and did not have someone to pay their way here. They are smuggled here and in return work in those pot houses. This is yet another reason why we need to get rid of the wet foot dry foot policy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Last week FIFTY grow houses were busted in my area of SW FL. in ONE DAY.ALL Hispanic.Although they no longer say they are Cuban it usually is and yes they are NOT deported and are usually out of jail within a few hours of bookings.

We are dumbfounded by the "get out of jail" card Hispanics,especially Cubans,seem to possess in So. FL..
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Cubans will get angry if they are named. They had a special about the Cocaine Cowboys from the 80's and they mentioned Cubans being the middlemen in drug sales. The Cubans actually fought to keep it off the air but lost. There were articles in Miami Herald about it.

Cubans have been arriving by the droves from Miami environs to SWFL ever since they built Alligator Alley. They certainly keep the Coast Guard busy.
    Those that came here to escape the Castro takeover years ago are very much a part of American society, while those drifting here after years of living in a communist society are quite a different bunch.

Vortex I agree. I have a few Cuban friends and they will tell you anyone who came before the 80's were different. Most of them learned English, their kids went to college or university, many started businesses and became successful. Now you have the scammers and people living off the government. They even write that all the time in the comment sections after articles about Cubans who were arrested.

I have seen too much of the longing for the old country from many that came here years ago. I have also seen the newer arrivals cheating the eyeballs out of the newest countrymen to arrive, legally or illegally. Want to buy house cheap for you and family but pay cash up front, dear countryman? I sell to you for cash, forgetting to mention I don't own the house, and there was plenty of that in Fort Myers-Cape Coral area about 10 years ago.
    After the fall of the Soviet empire, those mentalities of communism still are ingrained. The Russians have a very old saying: God is high and the Tsar is far away.