Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Cuccinelli :Va. must be tough on illegal immigrants

Va. must be tough on illegal immigrants

Justice System September 27, 2009

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is blazing a new trail to secure our borders from illegal immigration. Over the last several years, Homeland Security has carved a path that will ultimately lead it to spend tens of billions of dollars on the effort. It will spend more money on: border agents, fences, equipment, weapons, vehicles, and the very latest in virtual fencing and surveillance devices. These new investments are both necessary and appropriate to enforce America's border security.

The commonwealth of Virginia has a duty to support this Homeland Security investment — after all, a portion of the money comes from the tax dollars sent to Washington, D.C., by citizens of the commonwealth. But even more so, the commonwealth must find ways to assist the Homeland Security Department's effort to crack down on illegal immigration. On important issues like this, it is crucial that federal and state governments work in tandem with each other to defend the law. Besides, prudence and fiscal sensibility require it.

If elected attorney general for the commonwealth, I will work to ensure that Virginia assists the federal government and makes a good effort to enforce our immigration laws. I will make it a priority for local authorities to report and transfer to the federal authorities any persons the locals come across who are in this country illegally. The commonwealth and its local jurisdictions frequently come across those who have broken federal law by crossing our border. Whether these illegal aliens are discovered through criminal arrest, through enforcement of workplace codes and regulations, or through reports of people soliciting services they do not have a right to claim, it is beyond debate that these people do not have the right to be in this country. Further, because of our national security concerns, health concerns and our increasing economic troubles, we can no longer afford to simply ignore those aliens illegally in our midst.

The problem of illegal immigration is intertwined with the Obama administration's plans to overhaul our health-care system. The Obama administration has as its priority expanding health coverage to all those residing in America. To pay for this expansion of health-care coverage to those currently uninsured, the federal government is likely to be forced to impose higher taxes on many Americans. Since a large portion of the uninsured population is actually made up of illegal immigrants, it is vitally important that state and local leaders act in a fiscally responsible manner so as to minimize the amount of money we pay out to these people who do not deserve it. The problem of uninsured illegal aliens should be the responsibility of their home countries, and not our own. As attorney general, I will do my best to reverse the long-standing acceptance so many of our public officials have had for rampant violation of our nation's immigration laws.

America has traditionally been the land of liberty and opportunity for both the native born and the immigrant alike. This nation welcomed my own grandparents, who came with almost nothing from Ireland and Italy. However, our nation has also had a tradition of great respect for the rule of law. But recently, at least when it comes to our immigration laws, some officials in the federal, state and local governments have chosen to disregard that tradition. This cannot continue. As attorney general, I will return to those traditions, by respecting our immigration laws and assisting the Homeland Security Department in defending them.

Cuccinelli is the Republican candidate for state attorney general. A column by Democratic candidate Steve Shannon will be on this page next Sunday.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/ ... 5783.story
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'd vote for him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE
    He's got my vote also.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He will have my vote.
    VA has been very lax on illegal immigration.
    The Dem. Senators vote party line and have horrible report cards on immigration. so hope to see them voted out.
    It looks like we may get a Rep. Governor again. Keeping my fingers crossed and I will be voting. There are a lot of people here who want the state to go Republican again.
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson