Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Curb dangerous Latino youth risks with better policy, health

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/ci_4025261

Article Last Updated: 07/07/2006 04:30:51 PM MDT

Curb dangerous Latino youth risks with better policy, health care
    By Glenn Flores

Latino youth are at risk, and we must do something about this.

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows disturbing trends for Latino youth in America.

On June 8, the agency's "2005 Youth Risk Behavior Survey" revealed that, compared with white youth and black youth, young Latinos are significantly more likely to use drugs. For example, one in eight Latino youth reports having used cocaine at least once. For ecstasy, it's one in 10; methamphetamine, one in 11; and heroin, one in 28, according to the survey.

Latino youth are most likely to have not used a condom during their last sexual intercourse, with 42 percent reporting not using one. This is particularly concerning, since not using condoms greatly increases the risks of teen pregnancy, as well as the risks of contracting HIV/AIDS and other serious sexually transmitted diseases.

In terms of physical health, Latino youth have the highest rate of being overweight, at 17 percent, versus 12 percent for non-Latino white youth.

Mental health is not much better. Latino youth are most likely to report feeling sad or hopeless - at 36 percent overall, and 47 percent among Latino girls. Latino teens have the highest rates of seriously considering attempting suicide - 18 percent overall, and an alarming in one in four girls. Overall, 11 percent of Latino youth have actually attempted suicide, including 15 percent of young Latinas.

Data from other recent studies indicate that the health-care system is part of the problem. Latinos are the most uninsured racial/ethnic group, with 21 percent uninsured, versus 8 percent of whites and 13 percent of blacks. One in three Latino children has no regular source of medical care, and 33 percent experience problems getting specialty care.

Language problems are the single greatest barrier to health care for Latino children, according to a survey of mothers that was published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. And one in six Latino children was not brought in for needed medical care due to language and cultural issues.

We can't let this go on any longer.

First, we need to make sure that our schools are doing all they can to address the problem. The CDC study revealed that 62 percent of Latino youth have no physical education class in school. Public schools must provide regular physical education. And they need to provide healthier school lunches, eliminate soda vending machines and make health education classes mandatory.

And schools can do more, even after the last bell rings. We need affordable and culturally accessible after-school programs that sponsor healthy activities, such as organized sports, dance, the arts and job training.

Second, as a society, we should provide every American child with health insurance and dental insurance. Right now, 8.3 million kids in America have no health insurance, and Latino children are at greatest risk.

Third, states should provide interpreters for Medicaid and State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)-covered patients who are not yet proficient in English. A language barrier should not be a barrier to health care.

And finally, families themselves can improve their children's health simply by eating dinner together on a regular basis. Compared with children who have dinner with their family zero to two times weekly, children who have dinner with their family five to seven times per week have half the risk for substance abuse and high stress, are significantly less likely to have tried marijuana, alcoholic beverages and cigarettes, are twice as likely to receive A's in school and are more likely to eat five daily servings of fruits and vegetables and consume less soda, fried food and fat, according to a 2005nationwide survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University.

Eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in the well-being of our youth should be an urgent national priority. It's both the right thing to do and the smart thing to do for the future health and productivity of our nation.

---

Dr. Glenn Flores is director of the Center for the Advancement of Underserved Children and a professor of pediatrics, epidemiology and health policy. He works at the Medical College of Wisconsin and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

The only youths we need to be concerned about in the USA are legal citizens including legal immigrants. Illegal alien children and your parents as well as anchor babies - go back to your home countries.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

Blah, blah, blah.

WHAT DO I CARE FOR LATINO CHILDREN ????

Instead of acts of treason our goverment should be worried with OUR children

Let's just pretend we're talking about non-illegals.

compared with white youth and black youth
    Am I to think that only latino, white, and black kids do drugs?

Latino youth are most likely to have not used a condom during their last sexual intercourse
    I'm not sure what the general feeling is on this, but Planned Parenthood provides free condoms and it only costs like $10 for birth control pills or even Norplant.

In terms of physical health, Latino youth have the highest rate of being overweight
    Then make the kids get outside and play.

Data from other recent studies indicate that the health-care system is part of the problem.
    What a crock. The only thing a person needs health-care for in this article is the mental problems. Everything else can be overcome with very little to no money or doctor at all.

Language problems are the single greatest barrier to health care for Latino children
    Easy, learn English and there's no more language barriers.

Ok, now that I'm done ripping the article apart and ranting ... seems to me that almost every single point can and should be the responsibility of the parents. I don't care what their heritage or skin color happens to be.

I realize the article was meant to be another attempt to gain sympathy. For me, it did just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Flores
    ...Latino youth are at risk, and we must do something about this...We can't let this go on any longer... Eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in the well-being of our youth should be an urgent national priority....
    Well Glenn, I'd opine that you are absolutely right. The question I have is who's the we to whom you refer? Surely, you don't mean the good taxpayers of America should pick up the tab for mexican drug use, birth control and AIDS, do you? Naaahh, I knew you didn't mean that because you know it's absurd. The $17 billion sent to Mexico annually along with the $20 billion in oil income should be used to care for Mexicans. So if by we, you really mean you, then we're all in agreement.
    '58 Airedale

Re: Curb dangerous Latino youth risks with better policy, he

Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    Latino youth are most likely to have not used a condom during their last sexual intercourse, with 42 percent reporting not using one
    OH NO! Not more anchor babies, whose parents can then milk the welfare system and hospital ERs.