Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dallas man charged of random slaying of office worker

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/c ... 184539.htm

Son's arrest shocks fatherBy BILL MILLER
    STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

JOSE CASTRO
    DALLAS -- The father of a man charged in the random slaying of a north Dallas office worker said Wednesday that he was confused and saddened by the accusation against his son.

Acting on a tip, police arrested Jose Castro, 24, at his family's northwest Dallas home late Tuesday. He was in a Dallas County jail early Wednesday on a charge of capital murder with bail set at $750,000. Police said he is also wanted on immigration charges.

Karen LaFon, 51, of Garland was shot repeatedly about 5:20 p.m. Monday as she walked to her car after work.

Jose Castro's father, Heriberto Castro, said he was shocked when he saw an image taken by a surveillance camera of a man believed to be his son riding elevators for about eight minutes before following LaFon to the parking lot.

The images were released Tuesday and led to the tip that resulted in Jose Castro's arrest, police said.

Heriberto Castro said his son recently graduated from a computer training program at a local technical school and planned to take more classes early next year at a downtown Dallas campus. He said his son worked for a company that prepares income tax returns.

"We feel bad about all this that happened," the father said. "I don't know what happened with him."

Public records show that Jose Castro was serving 10 years' probation after receiving deferred adjudication in a 2005 aggravated robbery case in Richardson.

LaFon, the mother of two adult sons, was a manager for the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, a state agency for people with disabilities.

Investigators believe that LaFon was targeted because she was carrying bags, said Senior Cpl. Donna Hernandez, a Dallas police spokeswoman. The killer did not take any of the items, she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bill Miller, 817-390-7684 wmiller@star-telegram.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police said he is also wanted on immigration charges
    It is amazing to me how small of a mention this is - and that he was serving 10 years probation yet still had immigration issues??

From the same newspaper - before they discovered who the killer was

Woman slain outside Dallas officeBy BILL MILLER
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Dallas County Sheriff's Office

Karen LaFon had enough talent to excel in private industry, a supervisor said, but helping others became a vocation.

LaFon, 51, of Garland was slain Monday outside a Greenville Avenue office building where she was a manager for the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, or DARS. The state agency helps people with physical and mental disabilities.

She was shot multiple times about 5:20 p.m. while walking to her car, said Sgt. Larry Lewis, a homicide detective. Schepps Dairy announced it was offering a $10,000 reward to help catch the killer, NBC5 reported.

The gunman, whose image was captured by a video surveillance camera, was apparently looking for someone to rob inside the building south of Northwest Highway on Greenville, and followed her to the parking lot, Lewis said.

Bob Marx, a regional director for the agency, said LaFon worked for more than 20 years at DARS offices in Garland and Dallas.

LaFon, a divorced mother of two adult sons, excelled at working with those who sought the agency's services, helping them to improve their abilities to function by arranging modifications to their homes and cars. She recently earned a bachelor's degree in rehabilitative services, Marx said.

"Karen worked to improve her skills and knowledge to work up the career ladder, but while helping others along the way,'' he said.

LaFon was promoted in July to regional programs support manager for the agency's division of blind services. Her new office was in the Greenville Avenue building in Dallas.

Marx said LaFon formed close bonds with her co-workers, especially in the Garland office where she started as an entry-level clerk.

"I can't think of another word other than devastated,'' Marx said of the grieving staff. "She was just well-liked by everybody. She took a real personal interest in those around her; the group in Garland was like an extended family.''

Police said they hoped to catch her killer by releasing images of him from the video.

"We believe the suspect was in the building looking for a robbery victim," Lewis said. "He followed her, shot her, and then attempted to take her property."

The suspect, he added, appears to be white or Hispanic with very short hair. He wore light-colored pants and a jacket and he appeared to be in his 20s or 30s.

"We definitely have some pictures we want the public to see," he said. "After that I'm sure we're going to get some calls."

Bill Miller, (817) 390-7684
    wmiller@star-telegram.com

He said his son worked for a company that prepares income tax returns.
    Illegal aliens preparing tax returns.....there is some irony there somewhere!

RE: LETTER TO THE JOURNALIST

December 7, 2006

Mr. Miller:

Thank you for your article: Son's arrest shocks father. I am curious why so very little was mentioned about the immigration charges that he was wanted on? I am especially curious about those immigration charges considering that he was on probation for ten years.

It amazes me that this person who is wanted for immigration charges ends up on probation for another crime instead of being deported, which is what I suspect should have occurred, due to the mention in the article.

As you are aware, soon Congress will begin discussing what should be done about illegal immigrants in this country. Many Americans are expecting (regrettably) that amnesty will be on the top of the list of preferred options. Mean while, cities all across this great country (for example, Farmers Branch) are attempting to find ways to eliminate the heavy burden of illegal immigrants in their areas because the Federal Government refuses to do their job.

I was disappointed to see so little mentioned about his immigration charges in your article. It seems to me that it is a very important piece of information to give to the public about this man. It would help others to understand why the immigration issue is one that needs to be in the spotlight as our politicians pack their bags and new ones set up their post.

I’m sure that you are aware that 12 Americans are killed daily in this country by illegal immigrants. For the record, that is more Americans killed by illegal aliens than soldiers killed in Iraq. Twenty-five billion dollars a year is sent back to Mexico by illegal immigrants working (illegally) in this country. Insurance and social services are being raped by criminals that are not contributing to the programs meant to assist Americans. Pedophiles and other sexual predators are crossing our borders in droves. I could go on but you get the point.

In the future, I hope that you will take the time to find out a little more about any “immigration charges” that are pending for someone who commits a serious act of violence. Our fellow Americans deserve to know how serious illegal immigration is and that these law breakers are dangerous and extremely expensive. Of course, we can’t forget about the possibilities should a terrorist walk right over the border and kill a few thousand more Americans.

In closing, I have included some important and forgotten words:

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." -Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Sincerely,

-----------------

Fort Worth, Texas