Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Day Laborers To Join Immigrant Boycott, Or At Least Show Sol

http://ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?&aid=59005

Day Laborers To Join Immigrant Boycott, Or At Least Show Solidarity

Many immigrant workers around the city are thinking about not showing up for work Monday, and instead turning out for the latest round of immigration protests. NY1’s Roger Clark filed the following report on day laborers in Brooklyn.

Victor Sanchez has been doing masonry work at a Brooklyn construction site for a month. But he won't be there Monday, as a show of support for immigrant rights.

He says while he is not in the country legally, he is not a criminal.

“[I] only help, only work for the boss, for city, for everybody," he said.

Sanchez, who came here from Mexico seven years ago, says he will take the day off as part of a national day of action, with marches and rallies to display the importance of immigrant workers to the nation's economy, and asking for amnesty for all undocumented immigrants.

It comes on May 1st, which has traditionally been Workers Day around the world.

"I think this is just a start, to show the government, to show U.S. corporations that we are important, that we are the base of the economy, and this government needs to support that base,” Javier Gallardo of the Latin American Workers Project.

While some immigrants say they will choose to not go to work on Monday, others say they'll show support for the cause in different ways.

"No selling, no buying, and no school," said Gallardo.

Others will ask their employers if they can take a sick day or work half a day, of if the may attend a protest or wear a white T-shirt at work to show their support.

Gallardo says there is some fear that taking a day off will lead to being fired. In Victor Sanchez's case, just talking to NY1 led to one supervisor to tell him to leave the work site.

But after our crew told another supervisor what happened, he was allowed to go back.

Despite the friction, Sanchez is not concerned. He feels the cause is more important.

“For me, no problem, okay?” he said. “My boss say he don't need my service, okay, thank you very much. God bless. That's it."

Sanchez says America is a big country, and he will find another job.

- Roger Clark
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm actually looking forward to the boycott. I'm hoping there are alot of protests and the streets filled.

I think it's time Americans see first hand who and in what numbers we're talking about.

They'll say...."ooooomiiiiigooood"

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn