Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Day laborers take fight to council

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 203/NEWS01

04/26/06 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
    Day laborers take fight to council
    Advocates ask Cresitello to stop daily police watch

BY ROB SEMAN
    DAILY RECORD

MORRISTOWN -- Emotions from town residents on the issue of immigrants living illegally in the United States and Morristown flared at a council meeting Tuesday night, following more than three months of parrying between town officials and immigrant advocates.

A group of about 20 Hispanic day workers and members of immigrant advocacy group Wind of the Spirit handed Mayor Donald Cresitello a letter asking him to halt measures they feel are meant to oppress them.

The group also gave Cresitello and the town council cards signed by 100 or so residents asking the mayor to stop sending police to Morris Street to deter contractors from hiring day laborers.

"We are not enemies of anyone, we aren't harming anyone, nor do we want enemies nor are we criminals, nor are we terrorists that you have to send the police to watch everyday," stated the letter.

The letter also requested a dialog among local officials, churches, business people and others "to look for solutions." It was signed The Day Laborers of Morristown.

Cresitello responded by saying that while he supports Wind of the Spirit's fundamental mission of advocating dignity for everyone, he would continue to crack down on illegal immigration and overcrowding in the town.

"I don't intend to back off this position unless the governing body asks me to do that," Cresitello said.

Cresitello said that since the start of the year, the town has issued 100 summonses for overcrowding violations, and collected about $30,000 in fines. He said he plans to have federal officials deputize town police officers to enforce immigration laws.

Cresitello called those who employ illegal immigrants "unscrupulous businessmen who are working these people like slaves."

The presentation of the letter set off a sometimes heated exchange in the filled council chambers, both for and against the immigrants.

"I urge you to take a look at an approach to help the laborers and allow them to have a meal everyday," said Esperanza Porras-Field, who addressed the council on the issue in September.

A flag statement

Councilman Timothy Jackson, taking hold of the American flag behind the council chairs, noted that it represented a place for the hopes and dreams of those who came here, but also said that it was built through blood and sacrifice.

Jackson said that those advocating immigrants rights would do well to appreciate that sacrifice, while exaggerations of the problem some say they cause, such as crowding street corners, must be put to an end.

Jose Bastarikka, a Morristown attorney, said that while some day laborers on the street are illegal, the town cannot simply assume they all are.

"They're here, please give them the opportunity and treat them with dignity, treat them as you would want to be treated yourself."

Alexia Wallace, 31, who came to Morristown in 1981 from Jamaica, argued that immigrants are taking opportunities from those who are in the country legally, and said legal residents cannot afford to work on the wages offered to illegal immigrants.

"We are not against you, but we as Americans want to get what we are supposed to get,"Wallace said. "Why is it so easy for Hispanics to get opportunities we're supposed to have?"

Wallace said that some day laborers have solicited her daughters as they walk down the street. Another man, who declined to give his name to the Daily Record, told the council that police should "keep an eye on them (day laborers)."

"If it were all black or minorities standing there, you would have state police and everybody watching," the man, who was black, said.

Overflowing emotion

The exchange carried on outside after the discussion in the council chambers, as a man stopped in front of Bastarikka and asked the Latino attorney, "are you a veteran?"

Bastarikka replied that he was not.

"What have you done for the country?" the man retorted.

Since Cresitello took office as mayor in January, he and the immigrant resource group have clashed over the rights of day laborers.

Cresitello vowed that the efforts of the town to crack down on overcrowding in local homes and apartments would not only continue, but increase. The town hired more inspectors this year, and has continued handing out fines to landlords and tenants.

Cresitello also ordered police officers to patrol the train station in the mornings starting in February, in order to stop contractors from picking up undocumented workers. Police have warned contractors they have caught in the act that their names will be sent to the state Department of Labor.

In response, Wind of the Spirit in late February held a workshop explaining to local immigrants how to exercise their rights during police searches and other actions.

Last month members of the organization attended a rally for immigrants' rights in Liberty State Park along with other pro-immigrant advocates, and last week Wind of the Spirit organized a rally on the Green among three churches calling on Cresitello to curb his efforts.

The group last week said they would not call for local immigrants to strike during a national Day Without Immigrants Strike scheduled for May 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Seman can be reached at (973) 267-9038 or rseman@gannett.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We are doomed

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
    We are doomed
    It does look pretty bleak, doesn't it?

""Wallace said that some day laborers have solicited her daughters as they walk down the street. Another man, who declined to give his name to the Daily Record, told the council that police should "keep an eye on them (day laborers)." ""

I hear about this constantly, do they learn that manners have no place here? I know people who can't even go to 7-11 together because the mob of illegals outside are always making rude and disgusting remarks towards either the wife or girlfriend. When it's just you and your wife and theres 10-20 of them it wouldn't be smart to mouth off, so what are we to do about it? Go to the store with a mob? Something has to be done, too many officials are shrugging this type of thing off. No matter how small it might seem it needs to be taken care of.

They seem to have more RIGHTS, and more places to go to find out what the laws are and people to help them than any citizen in this country. I don't fully know what my RIGHTS are anymore. One thing for sure......it's getting to the point that my only RIGHTS are pay taxes and die.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I lived in Chantilly, Va. I couldn't go to the local Food Lion at night. Large groups of El Salvadorians hung outside the store harassing the woman and I would be the only English spekaing person in the store

Xianleather,

I've chewed more than one out over learing at my underage daughters. It really made me mad, when they stared at them like a piece of meat. I got real loud too. My daughters were upset but I was mad. I let them know I thought they were perverts and needed to get some self control. I have never seen an adult American behave that way towards my daughters. I'm not talking a passing glance or a smile. I'm talking a full body look over and stop and stare. It made me sick. 13 year old girls should be able to go to the grocery store with out being made into sexual objects. My daughers weren't dressed like whores either. Oh don't get me started about the underage hoochie mama thing!!!!!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alexia Wallace, 31, who came to Morristown in 1981 from Jamaica, argued that immigrants are taking opportunities from those who are in the country legally, and said legal residents cannot afford to work on the wages offered to illegal immigrants.
    another immigrant arguing against illegals -- too bad some of our leaders don't have sense enough to see it

"If it were all black or minorities standing there, you would have state police and everybody watching," the man, who was black, said.
    but that's different -- these are just citizens

What have you done for the country?" the man retorted.
    I think we are going to be hearing a lot of that pretty soon and it's about time. While all of us haven't served our country in the military, we are nonetheless fighting for our country and the freedoms and rights many have fought and died to preserve
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"
    This is how it works in Mexico. These aren't human beings. These are thugs.
    "IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MopheadBlue
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
    We are doomed
    It does look pretty bleak, doesn't it?
    Illegals get more privledges and rights than we do. It just doesnt make any sense. So lets pull off the police from watching them, because thats discrimination. And let them whistle, gawk, and make spanish coos at all the women, because thats how they behave in their home country.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast