Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DE: Mexican "immigrants" die in DUI crash

Underage drinking blamed for crash

Mexican immigrants die in high-speed crash near Newark

By TERRI SANGINITI, The News Journal

Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Jose Juan Garcia Ortiz was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.

Francisco Rodriguez Contreras had been studying for a degree in architecture in Mexico.

Three friends from Mexico working construction jobs in the United States were killed Monday night in a horrific crash north of Newark that left a fourth friend, as well as the driver of another vehicle, clinging to life.

All that remained Tuesday morning at the site of the two-car collision at Paper Mill and Possum Park roads at Milford Crossroads were two orange traffic cones and shards of broken glass.

On the grassy roadside were part of a car door, floor mats emblazoned with the letters BMW, two Burger King hats and pieces of a rear-view mirror.

State police fatal-accident investigators, still trying to determine the dynamics leading up to the triple fatality, concluded that speeding and the underage driver's drinking led to the crash.

State police Cpl. Jeff Whitmarsh said the four friends were riding together in a green BMW, operated by unlicensed driver Israel Palmero Merida, 17, of Bear.

The vehicle was reportedly owned by Hector Villa Gran-Merida, 18, of Hanover Way near New Castle, who was in the back seat. Gran-Merida was still making payments on the recently purchased car, a friend said.

Merida, who police said had been drinking, was driving about 80 mph in a posted 50 mph zone about 9:40 p.m. Monday when he failed to negotiate a sharp curve on eastbound Paper Mill Road and lost control of the car.

The crash was eerily similar to another fatal crash fueled by alcohol at that location seven years ago, which left a Pennsylvania man dead.

But Whitmarsh, who still recalled the 2000 crash he investigated, said Monday night's crash was the worst collision he had ever witnessed in his 10 years on the police force.

The speeding BMW struck a raised median before veering into oncoming traffic and plowing into a Honda Civic driven by Matthew Wilson, 23, of Squirrel Hill Court in Mill Creek.

The BMW overturned and landed on the Honda's roof, then rolled several more times before striking a utility pole, which sheared it in half.

Gran-Merida, the car's owner, was thrown from the back seat and landed on the shoulder of the road. He was found unconscious, suffering from wounds including massive head injuries. He was in critical condition Tuesday in a coma in Christiana Hospital's intensive care unit.

Francisco Rodriguez Contreras, 20, who lived in the Sparrow Run community of Bear, was also in the rear seat. He was thrown from the car, and suffered massive head and internal injuries. Rodriguez Contreras, who came from Toluca, Mexico, died at the scene.

Merida, the driver, and 15-year-old front-seat passenger Jose Juan Garcia Ortiz of the 400 block of Bedford Lane near New Castle were both trapped in the mangled wreckage and pronounced dead at the scene. Both came from the Mexican town of Zumpahuacán.

Wilson, who was the sole occupant of the Honda, was trapped in the driver's seat of his car for about 30 minutes before he was freed.

New Castle County paramedics Assistant Chief Richard D. Krett said the Honda's driver was unconscious and treated at the scene for a serious head injury and other wounds. He was in critical condition in Christiana Hospital's intensive care unit.

Relatives of the three young men gathered Tuesday afternoon at Corleto Latina Funeral Home in Wilmington to begin making funeral arrangements.

A family spokesman, who is helping to translate for relatives coordinating the arrangements, said none of the four crash victims was in the country legally.

The family spokesman, who did not want to be identified, said all of the four friends worked two jobs, as construction laborers and fast food workers.

"Francisco was here for 10 months," he said. "He was a bright guy attending college in Mexico and two years away from an architectural degree." Rodriguez Contreras was living with an uncle in the United States, where he had come to earn money to continue his education and help his little sister, the spokesman said.

Merida, the driver, was living here with his 19-year-old brother and sending money to relatives in Mexico, the spokesman said. Ortiz was the cousin of Gran-Merida.

Funeral director Anthony Latina said relatives have no money to hold a Mass or a viewing for their loved ones. "We're just going to ship their bodies back to Mexico," he said. "I'm doing what I can to help them."

Donation jars will be placed in local stores and restaurants. People wishing to make donations may send them to Corleto Latina Funeral Home, 808 N. Union St., Wilmington DE 19805.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... /1006/NEWS

Just heard an update on the local news: The innocent victim in the Civic, Matthew Wilson, has died from his injuries.

YOU MEAN " I L L E G A L" immigrants!!!!

An 18 year old illegal can afford a BMW?? I guess you can if you get everything else from the Gov't for free.

YOU MEAN " I L L E G A L" immigrants!!!!
    Yes, I do.

Where is the donation jar for the innocent AMERICAN who died?

Also, they are collecting money for these "Mexicans" who are so poor yet they drive a BMW?

Let me see if I get this straight.

Underage drinkers.
    unlicensed driver
    18 year old illegal alien doing "a job no American wants to do", sends money home AND can afford a new BMW?!?!?!? Find me ONE American who won't do his job, what job is it by the way?
    Family has no money??? Hello?? BMW.
    Kill an American citizen

I know a citizen who got 20 years for killing 2 college kids in a DUI. Let's see what these kids get.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    Why do they always leave out illegal? When it is mentioned, it's "undocumented". And, someone please explain to me how an 18 year old "ILLEGAL" alien is buying a BMW? They view us as an ATM machine. They come, earn what they need and leave (if we're lucky).

Wilson, who was the sole occupant of the Honda, was trapped in the driver's seat of his car for about 30 minutes before he was freed.

New Castle County paramedics Assistant Chief Richard D. Krett said the Honda's driver was unconscious and treated at the scene for a serious head injury and other wounds. He was in critical condition in Christiana Hospital's intensive care unit.

You know, I am REALLY impressed that whoever wrote this trash was able to devote a WHOLE THREE SENTENCES to the US citizen who is now lying in a hospital in CRITICAL condition because of the actions of these illegals who should not be here in the first place. Why didn't he interview Mr. Wilson's family? Why is he apparently unconcerned about the massive hospital and rehab bills Mr. Wilson and his family will face? If he survives, that is. I am sick of this crap.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by camilleinchicago

You know, I am REALLY impressed that whoever wrote this trash was able to devote a WHOLE THREE SENTENCES to the US citizen who is now lying in a hospital in CRITICAL condition because of the actions of these illegals who should not be here in the first place. Why didn't he interview Mr. Wilson's family? Why is he apparently unconcerned about the massive hospital and rehab bills Mr. Wilson and his family will face? If he survives, that is. I am sick of this crap.
    [/quote]

I totaly agree. Unfortunately Mr. Wilson did die-see bottom of initial post. The article's author is more concerned how the funeral expenses will be paid for the others involved-not the AMERICAN who is an innocent victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by camilleinchicago

You know, I am REALLY impressed that whoever wrote this trash was able to devote a WHOLE THREE SENTENCES to the US citizen who is now lying in a hospital in CRITICAL condition because of the actions of these illegals who should not be here in the first place. Why didn't he interview Mr. Wilson's family? Why is he apparently unconcerned about the massive hospital and rehab bills Mr. Wilson and his family will face? If he survives, that is. I am sick of this crap.
    I totaly agree. Unfortunately Mr. Wilson did die-see bottom of initial post. The article's author is more concerned how the funeral expenses will be paid for the others involved-not the AMERICAN who is an innocent victim.[/quote]

Oh my God! Thanks for the update. Yet another senseless death of an American citizen at the hands of the criminals who have been allowed to invade our country. His name will be added to the long list of martyred citizens who have died at the hands of these losers. How much money do you want to bet there will be sob stories about the drunken BMW driver and pasengers who 'only came here for a better life' and we will never hear another word about Mr. Wilson from the MSM?

http://forums.delawareonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=59746

post comments online here
    gotta register first