http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4117784&nav=3YeX

Earlier article

https://www.alipac.us/ftopict-12220-tribuna.html

Death threats target source in illegal immigration story

(Danbury-WTNH, Nov. 14, 2005 6:20 PM) _ The debate over illegal immigrants in one Connecticut community is turning ugly.

The publisher of a community newspaper is now receiving death threats for taking part in an Exclusive News Channel 8 investigation into illegal housing and documents.

by News Channel 8 investigator Alan Cohn
Two Danbury police cruisers outside the offices of the Tribuna newspaper. Officers arrived after someone walked into the newspaper and reported overhearing a group of people plotting to harm Emanuela Lima, a reporter at Tribuna.

Lima recently did an interview with News Channel 8 on illegal housing and the illegal document trade in Danbury.

Since our series on illegal immigration aired, Tribuna has been receiving threats by e-mail fax and phone calls like this one.

"Things are really going to get ugly. Ugly for that family, I hope," says Emanuela Lima, quoting the threats. "If we don't act, what will be next."

Other Brazilian newspapers in Danbury are blasting the Tribuna. One newspaper headline says Treason. Another says Revolt. The newspapers are upset that the Tribuna took part in our stories.

Breno da Mata is the publisher of the newspaper Community News.

"They point out some stuff that's not their job," says da Mata.
"Like what?" asks Alan Cohn.
"They point out the bad stuff, bad things about the Brazilian community," says da Mata.

In an editorial, da Mata's newspaper says Tribuna should be punished, although it doesn't say how.

Another Brazilian newspaper The Immigrant calls for a revolt against Tribuna.

"Are you concerned about having the word traitor next to the banner of the Tribuna is inflammatory and could cause these people harm," asks Alan Cohn.

"No I'm not. It is not that I am worried, we have a responsibility to report. I think the person who did the report has freedom of expression like you have, I have, we all have," says Manuel Paguas.

The Tribuna says its goal has always to educate Brazilians about the pitfalls of obtaining fake documents. Tonight, there's concern about the price of doing so.

"We love this community and all we have done is to try to protect them from people who use them as prey," says Lima.