Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Debate intensifies over illegal immigrants

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 025002.htm

BY DENA BUNIS

The Orange County Register

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - Congressional debate on the complicated and emotional issue of immigration reform will begin in earnest in the coming weeks as congressional hearings are being scheduled on everything from border security to guest-worker programs.

What is expected to be a contentious and protracted debate is being staged even as lawmakers try to decide how to deal with the estimated 10 million illegal immigrants working in the United States and the new illegal immigrants coming into the country every day.

President George W. Bush has put immigration high on his second-term agenda. Interest groups on both sides of the issue have begun ramping up their lobbying efforts. Lawmakers are hearing from their constituents about immigration and have begun staking out positions.

Two lawmakers are going to have key roles in this debate:

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, has assumed the chairmanship of the Senate immigration subcommittee.

In the House, Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., will be the key power-broker.

Cornyn recently sat down with The Register. Despite repeated requests, Sensenbrenner declined to provide his thoughts. Here are excerpts from The Register's conversation with Cornyn. Where possible, relevant public comments are included from Sensenbrenner.

Q: What's the most difficult aspect of this debate?

A: "The fact that people have limited information about it. I would say depending on what part of the country you come from, you may have a greater or lesser appreciation for both the complexities involved and the need to address these problems. Those living in southern Arizona, they are very directly affected. They're concerned because a lot of the same people who smuggle human beings across the border are engaged in other kinds of criminal acts ...

"Some in Texas understand because they live with it on a day-to-day basis, the reliance we've developed on the labor provided by many immigrants. So they would like to try to find some humane way to allow people to work on a temporary basis in the country, doing jobs that Americans don't want, and they recognize how important that is to the economy."

Sensenbrenner: "The president has not submitted legislation yet and the devil is in the details. I have heard all kinds of slogans on both sides of the immigration issue that look good on a bumper sticker, but no actual legislation. The thing that I think is important is that if Congress does pass legislation, it is legislation that is fair, is supported by the American people, which means it has to be bipartisan and it will work."

Q: The House just passed the Real ID Act, authored by Sensenbrenner, that would essentially ban illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses and make other enforcement changes. You have said that border security and immigration issues should be taken together. Why?

A: "I very much believe that they are intertwined. We've got to protect our border and we've got to know who is in our country and why they are here. But we have a real problem when you have the richest nation in the world next to one of the poorer nations in the world. My own belief is people are going to continue to try and come here and risk life itself when they have no hope and no opportunity where they live. So that calls for a combined approach. We need to deal with our border security. We also need to provide some mechanism to differentiate between those who want to come here to work and contribute to our economy and those who want to come here to hurt us and then focus the resources of our law-enforcement personnel and anti-terrorism personnel on the ones who want to come here and do us harm. We also need to look at innovative ways to help Mexico and other Central American countries to develop their own economy so there will be less need in the eyes of these immigrants to come here just to survive."

Sensenbrenner: "It's in everybody's best interest to separate out the security question with the immigration question. If we mix the two of them up, then the word is going to get out, rightly or wrongly, that immigrants are security threats. Almost all but a handful of immigrants are not security threats. So, let's tighten up the laws to deal with the security threats so that the broad brush is not placed against people who are coming to this country legally to seek a better life."

Q: An estimated 10 million illegal immigrants live in the United States. How should they be dealt with?

A: "First of all, we need to have people who are here illegally come forward and identify themselves. Obviously, if they think they are going to be immediately deported, they are not likely to do that. I think we need to offer them the opportunity, if in fact they are here performing a job that no American wants, to transition into a temporary-worker program that will allow them to come out from the shadows to pay taxes on their income, but also to get the protection that the law allows lawful enterprises so they are not abused, not exploited."

Sensenbrenner: "It has been the goal of the Congress at least since the 1986 reform bill (amnesty bill) to get a handle on illegal (immigrants) in the United States. The `86 bill didn't work. It was supposed to get rid of the problem of illegal (immigrants) in the United States, and instead the problem has gotten worse."

Q: Why would an illegal immigrant come forward for the chance to work legally for just two or three years, when they can probably stay here indefinitely without getting caught?

A: "If you could legally go back and forth across the border, come here for a time and work and go back to your home, I think that would be attractive to many people."

Q: So do you mean you would differentiate between those who want to spend part of the year back home and those who want to stay permanently and allow those illegal immigrants who want to stay here a path to legalization?

A: "No. I think it's important that we require that these temporary workers return home before they apply for other long-term, legal residency. And then if they want to apply through the existing programs for citizenship then they would have to do that from their home country."

Q: What if these illegal immigrants have U.S. citizen children born here?

A: "That's one of those problems that's really hard to deal with. We can start separating these groups, to get them in a manageable size to try and figure out how to deal with them."

Q: President Bush has called for an increase in the number of green cards. What's your view?

A: "I think we need to look at the caps on legal immigration. The backlog on the immigration process and the caps may need to be re-examined to make sure we're handling that in the best way."

Q: Sometimes in Congress trying to make major changes - as the Clinton administration attempted on health care - becomes so bogged down in the details that they fail. Are you worried about that on this issue?

A: "These are big tough issues. As part of my new job as chairman of the immigration subcommittee, we're going to be looking at immigration policy globally. At a minimum, we need to have some sort of temporary-worker program. I heard that the majority leader in the House said he was open to a temporary-worker program if people had to apply from their country of origin. Chairman Sensenbrenner said the same thing. I think there is more flexibility there than most realize. A piecemeal approach isn't going to address the most urgent needs."

Q: Are you worried that the divisions in your own Republican Party may be harder to overcome than getting an agreement with Democrats?

A: "I think my sense is a lot of Democrats are very comfortable with amnesty and Republicans are not. That's one of the big dividing lines. I think there is enough common ground that can be achieved. This is an emotional issue. People know what they know but they don't really know what they don't know. We all work for the people who sent us here. No one wants to make a decision that will engender the anger of their constituents. But I think we all need to learn a little bit more about it and develop a consensus, because I don't believe the status quo is acceptable. Doing nothing is not an option."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 025002.htm

BY DENA BUNIS

The Orange County Register

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - Congressional debate on the complicated and emotional issue of immigration reform will begin in earnest in the coming weeks as congressional hearings are being scheduled on everything from border security to guest-worker programs.

What is expected to be a contentious and protracted debate is being staged even as lawmakers try to decide how to deal with the estimated 10 million illegal immigrants working in the United States and the new illegal immigrants coming into the country every day.

President George W. Bush has put immigration high on his second-term agenda. Interest groups on both sides of the issue have begun ramping up their lobbying efforts. Lawmakers are hearing from their constituents about immigration and have begun staking out positions.

Two lawmakers are going to have key roles in this debate:

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, has assumed the chairmanship of the Senate immigration subcommittee.

In the House, Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., will be the key power-broker.

Cornyn recently sat down with The Register. Despite repeated requests, Sensenbrenner declined to provide his thoughts. Here are excerpts from The Register's conversation with Cornyn. Where possible, relevant public comments are included from Sensenbrenner.

Q: What's the most difficult aspect of this debate?

A: "The fact that people have limited information about it. I would say depending on what part of the country you come from, you may have a greater or lesser appreciation for both the complexities involved and the need to address these problems. Those living in southern Arizona, they are very directly affected. They're concerned because a lot of the same people who smuggle human beings across the border are engaged in other kinds of criminal acts ...

"Some in Texas understand because they live with it on a day-to-day basis, the reliance we've developed on the labor provided by many immigrants. So they would like to try to find some humane way to allow people to work on a temporary basis in the country, doing jobs that Americans don't want, and they recognize how important that is to the economy."

Sensenbrenner: "The president has not submitted legislation yet and the devil is in the details. I have heard all kinds of slogans on both sides of the immigration issue that look good on a bumper sticker, but no actual legislation. The thing that I think is important is that if Congress does pass legislation, it is legislation that is fair, is supported by the American people, which means it has to be bipartisan and it will work."

Q: The House just passed the Real ID Act, authored by Sensenbrenner, that would essentially ban illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses and make other enforcement changes. You have said that border security and immigration issues should be taken together. Why?

A: "I very much believe that they are intertwined. We've got to protect our border and we've got to know who is in our country and why they are here. But we have a real problem when you have the richest nation in the world next to one of the poorer nations in the world. My own belief is people are going to continue to try and come here and risk life itself when they have no hope and no opportunity where they live. So that calls for a combined approach. We need to deal with our border security. We also need to provide some mechanism to differentiate between those who want to come here to work and contribute to our economy and those who want to come here to hurt us and then focus the resources of our law-enforcement personnel and anti-terrorism personnel on the ones who want to come here and do us harm. We also need to look at innovative ways to help Mexico and other Central American countries to develop their own economy so there will be less need in the eyes of these immigrants to come here just to survive."

Sensenbrenner: "It's in everybody's best interest to separate out the security question with the immigration question. If we mix the two of them up, then the word is going to get out, rightly or wrongly, that immigrants are security threats. Almost all but a handful of immigrants are not security threats. So, let's tighten up the laws to deal with the security threats so that the broad brush is not placed against people who are coming to this country legally to seek a better life."

Q: An estimated 10 million illegal immigrants live in the United States. How should they be dealt with?

A: "First of all, we need to have people who are here illegally come forward and identify themselves. Obviously, if they think they are going to be immediately deported, they are not likely to do that. I think we need to offer them the opportunity, if in fact they are here performing a job that no American wants, to transition into a temporary-worker program that will allow them to come out from the shadows to pay taxes on their income, but also to get the protection that the law allows lawful enterprises so they are not abused, not exploited."

Sensenbrenner: "It has been the goal of the Congress at least since the 1986 reform bill (amnesty bill) to get a handle on illegal (immigrants) in the United States. The `86 bill didn't work. It was supposed to get rid of the problem of illegal (immigrants) in the United States, and instead the problem has gotten worse."

Q: Why would an illegal immigrant come forward for the chance to work legally for just two or three years, when they can probably stay here indefinitely without getting caught?

A: "If you could legally go back and forth across the border, come here for a time and work and go back to your home, I think that would be attractive to many people."

Q: So do you mean you would differentiate between those who want to spend part of the year back home and those who want to stay permanently and allow those illegal immigrants who want to stay here a path to legalization?

A: "No. I think it's important that we require that these temporary workers return home before they apply for other long-term, legal residency. And then if they want to apply through the existing programs for citizenship then they would have to do that from their home country."

Q: What if these illegal immigrants have U.S. citizen children born here?

A: "That's one of those problems that's really hard to deal with. We can start separating these groups, to get them in a manageable size to try and figure out how to deal with them."

Q: President Bush has called for an increase in the number of green cards. What's your view?

A: "I think we need to look at the caps on legal immigration. The backlog on the immigration process and the caps may need to be re-examined to make sure we're handling that in the best way."

Q: Sometimes in Congress trying to make major changes - as the Clinton administration attempted on health care - becomes so bogged down in the details that they fail. Are you worried about that on this issue?

A: "These are big tough issues. As part of my new job as chairman of the immigration subcommittee, we're going to be looking at immigration policy globally. At a minimum, we need to have some sort of temporary-worker program. I heard that the majority leader in the House said he was open to a temporary-worker program if people had to apply from their country of origin. Chairman Sensenbrenner said the same thing. I think there is more flexibility there than most realize. A piecemeal approach isn't going to address the most urgent needs."

Q: Are you worried that the divisions in your own Republican Party may be harder to overcome than getting an agreement with Democrats?

A: "I think my sense is a lot of Democrats are very comfortable with amnesty and Republicans are not. That's one of the big dividing lines. I think there is enough common ground that can be achieved. This is an emotional issue. People know what they know but they don't really know what they don't know. We all work for the people who sent us here. No one wants to make a decision that will engender the anger of their constituents. But I think we all need to learn a little bit more about it and develop a consensus, because I don't believe the status quo is acceptable. Doing nothing is not an option."

even as lawmakers try to decide how to deal with the estimated 10 million illegal immigrants working in the United States and the new illegal immigrants coming into the country every day.
    At least the writer correctly referred to them as illegal immigrants.

BRAVO!
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

even as lawmakers try to decide how to deal with the estimated 10 million illegal immigrants working in the United States and the new illegal immigrants coming into the country every day.
    At least the writer correctly referred to them as illegal immigrants.

BRAVO!
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan