Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Delaware's Mike Castle Will Have Key Role in Negotiations

Delaware News Journal. Friday, 5/26/2006

Delaware's Mike Castle will have key role in negotiations

WASHINGTON -- Now comes the hard work of merging the two very different bills into one final version.

Part of that thankless task falls to Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del., who will be working behind the scenes to try to persuade wary House Republicans to consider a final bill that may look more like the Senate version.

"This doesn't lend itself to an easy approach," said Castle, who was tapped for the negotiator's job by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., one of the architects of the Senate bill. "I think the final bill has to be closer to the Senate version."
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Welcome GirlGeek!

Don't forget to post the links with your articles.

Re: Delaware's Mike Castle Will Have Key Role in Negotiation

Quote Originally Posted by GirlGeek
    Delaware News Journal. Friday, 5/26/2006

Delaware's Mike Castle will have key role in negotiations

WASHINGTON -- Now comes the hard work of merging the two very different bills into one final version.

Part of that thankless task falls to Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del., who will be working behind the scenes to try to persuade wary House Republicans to consider a final bill that may look more like the Senate version.

"This doesn't lend itself to an easy approach," said Castle, who was tapped for the negotiator's job by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., one of the architects of the Senate bill. "I think the final bill has to be closer to the Senate version."
    Delaware's "filing deadline for primary ballot access" for Republican and Democrat Congressional candidates is July 28 at noon.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OMG!

NOOOOOOOOOO.........

The following letter has been fax'd to Rep. Castle:

May 31st, 2006

Representative Michael N. Castle
    1233 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

Fax (202) 225-2291

Re: Immigration Legislation – HR 4437 and S 2611

Dear Representative Castle,

I read with interest an item in The News Journal on Friday, May 26th. The article stated that you “will be working behind the scenes to try to persuade wary House Republicans to consider a final bill that may look more like the Senate version.”

I have written to Senators Biden and Carper to express my disappointment with their YEA votes on S. 2611.

Much has been made in the media of a need for so-called “comprehensive” immigration legislation. I simply do not think this need exists. If you would talk to the people in the grocery stores, corner bars, and train stations of Delaware you would get the same impression.

Ordinary citizens that I talk to, whether they be Republican, Democrat, or Independent, believe that the most important piece of legislation needed is to simply secure our borders and enforce existing immigration laws.

The illegal immigrants are not going anywhere. They will be here next year and the year after. I see the Senate version creating layers and layers of bureaucracy which will ultimately fail. The issue of how to handle existing illegal immigrants needs more consideration, and the political pressure to pass a so-called “comprehensive” bill does not allow the time for the consideration it needs.

I have many foreign-born friends who have stood in long lines and gone through unbelievable inconveniences in order to become citizens of the United States. The Senate version just thumbs our noses at these good people.

Why don’t we just keep it simple for now? Secure the borders and enforce existing laws.

Respectfully,
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

GIRLGEEK.....WELCOME!
    Thanx for contributing

Your letter is wonderful. Would you mind if we used it for a sample?

Also, can you provide a link to the article in your original post?

Glad you're with us
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You can use any or all parts of the letter to Rep. Castle.

The particular article I quoted was just a minor sidebar to the major article. Here is the link:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 60339/1006

The particular article I quoted was just a minor sidebar to the major article.
    That explains why I missed it! I was beginning to think there were two versions of the same paper.