Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dems Face Crucial Immigration Test

Dems face crucial immigration test
    By: Gebe Martinez
    June 17, 2009 04:36 AM EST

After twice postponing a highly anticipated meeting between President Barack Obama and congressional leaders on immigration reform, the White House is under increasing pressure to get legislation done this year.

Winning congressional approval of an immigration measure by December is a steep climb, with the economy, health care and energy higher on the president’s agenda. So far, Obama has promised only to begin the discussion at the summit set for next week.

But if the president does not move quickly, he will suffer the same fate as his predecessor, President George W. Bush, who left office acknowledging that failure to overhaul immigration laws was a top personal disappointment.

Bush promised reform but wasted political capital on other matters. When he finally turned to immigration, the GOP was deeply divided, and Hispanic voters — angered by conservatives’ nasty tone — rejected Republicans at the polls in 2006 and 2008.

Similarly, Obama now must answer not if but when immigration will be done. To succeed, he has to enlist the support of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a past champion of comprehensive immigration legislation, at least nine other Republicans in the Senate and a couple of dozen more in the House.

With Obama owing his election to Hispanics, the Latino community will be unforgiving if nothing gets done while he is “at the apex of his political capital,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote]The Politico 44 Story Widget Requires Adobe Flash Player.
    With Obama owing his election to Hispanics, the Latino community will be unforgiving if nothing gets done while he is “at the apex of his political capital,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But if the president does not move quickly, he will suffer the same fate as his predecessor, President George W. Bush, who left office acknowledging that failure to overhaul immigration laws was a top personal disappointment.
    Kind of funny that during the election campaigns Illegal immigration was not a big issue, they kept telling us it was way down on the list and no one would talk about the subject at all...amnesty failed 2 times in congress and yet now they tell us how important it is...what a bunch of losers..

To Hispanics pro activists groups....If Obama does not pass CIR...just who the hell are you going to vote for? A Republican? I really doubt it! Your threats have no teeth!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Full of crap...

The radical hispanic supremists who are hiding behind the entire hispanic population are just full of crap.

Put amnesty to a vote nationwide and see what the results are.

The Dems also face a test from American citizen voters. You know, the ones who are actually entitled to make demands of their legislators.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Here's a thought:
    This article mentions that US Chamber of Commerce support is waning, as other demands are added to "immigration reform."

"Advocates of gays and church leaders are at odds over a proposed provision that would let gay and lesbian Americans sponsor their immigrant “permanent partnersâ€
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

[quote]Here's a thought:
    This article mentions that US Chamber of Commerce support is waning, as other demands are added to "immigration reform."

"Advocates of gays and church leaders are at odds over a proposed provision that would let gay and lesbian Americans sponsor their immigrant “permanent partnersâ€

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    It's so easy to be able to vote in this country. They ACT like they check your legality but they don't. I live in a Hispanic area and I seemed to be the only person that has to show voter registration, drivers license, birth certificate and a ton of bills with my name on it. I didn't see any Hispanics having to do the same. I was one of three "white" people at the booths. Tons and tons of Hispanics with very little English being spoken.

I still believe there is a lot of voter fraud. Unfortunately, we are called racists if we question it. I suspect we are going to see something about this in the next year or two. And, I say it's about time. I don't care if they have been in this country two decades, if they are not citizens they should not be able to vote. I think it's part of our problem. People who shouldn't be voting are swaying our elections. In California when you got a driver's license there was a little box you marked that asked if you wanted to be registered to vote. You just check it and you vote. So, if you have forged documents to the point you can get a drivers license, then you get to vote. We all know you can buy illegal papers for about $50.00.

Well said laughinglynx. I believe NY does absolutely nothing to prevent IAs from voting.

[quote]Similarly, Obama now must answer not if but when immigration will be done. To succeed, he has to enlist the support of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a past champion of comprehensive immigration legislation, at least nine other Republicans in the Senate and a couple of dozen more in the House.

"