Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Denham: More Republicans will soon cosponsor immigration reform bill

Denham: More Republicans will soon cosponsor immigration reform bill

Oct 28, 2013
    By Griselda Nevarez

Rep. Jeff Denham, R-Calif., testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, July 23, 2013, before the House Judiciary subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security hearing; “Addressing the Immigration Status of Illegal Immigrants Brought to the United States as Children”. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The only House Republican who has signed on as a cosponsor of the Democratic immigration reform bill predicts more GOP leaders will soon join him.

“While I’m the first Republican to support this legislation, I expect others to sign on in the next few days,” Rep. Jeff Denham (R-Calif.) said Monday evening in a call with reporters.

When asked what House Republicans he has been persuading to sign on, he responded, “I’ve been talking to a number of different members.” He indicated those members include the 28 Republicans who have already come out in support of immigration reform legislation with a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

“I’m going to continue to encourage my colleagues as I have for many months now to support realistic reform,” he said.

Denham, whose district is 40 percent Latino, announced his decision to cosponsor the immigration reform bill, known as H.R. 15, on Sunday during an interview withUnivision’s Al Punto.

Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.), a lead sponsor of the bill, noted that at least 185 Democrats have signed on as cosponsors of the bill. Like Denham, he predicts more Republicans will soon sign on as well.

“I expect in the next few days, in working with Rep. Denham and other leaders both Democrat and Republican, to find a few more folks,” Garcia told reporters. “Slowly but surely we are headed in the right direction.”

House immigration reform bill is ‘a bipartisan measure’

Denham said he decided to cosponsor the House immigration reform bill because it is “a bipartisan measure” that represents the “framework of reform” that he envisions.

The House bill includes many of the same provisions as the Senate-approved bill, which many House Republicans, including Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), have rejected. One of those provisions is the 13-year path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, something that Denham insisted “must” be included in any immigration reform legislation.

The Republican congressman said the major difference between both immigration reform bills is the border security language. The House bill replaces the Senate bill’s border security provisions with those included in a bill that the House Homeland Security Committee approved in May with unanimous bipartisan support. That bill, crafted by Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Texas), gives the Department of Homeland Security two years to come up with a plan to apprehend at last 90 percent of individuals who cross the border illegally.

“It is a bipartisan bill that really focuses on outcomes,” Denham said of the McCaul bill. “It sets benchmarks and metrics to measure success and failure, and it makes border security a requirement, not a goal.”

“In my mind, the major issue that many Republicans had a problem with is fixed” with the McCaul bill, he added.

The House immigration reform bill also includes Denham’s ENLIST Act, which would allow qualified undocumented immigrants to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces and earn citizenship after serving for four years. If approved, this would be the fastest way undocumented immigrants can earn citizenship.

Garcia expressed his support for the ENLIST Act, saying, “People who are willing to die for this country should be able to cut to the front of the line any day of the week.”

Both Denham and Garcia said they hope to get the immigration reform bill passed in the House before the end of the year.

http://voxxi.com/2013/10/28/denham-c...gration-reform
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So they have 185 Democrats and Denham for a total of 186. They only need 216 to pass the bill correct?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe they need 217 to pass/
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

28 Maybes

the 28 Republicans who have already come out in support of immigration reform legislation with a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
    NO AMNESTY

Rep. Ros-Lehtinen Becomes Second Republican To Support Democrat-Led Immigration Reform Bill

Published October 29, 2013Fox News Latino

• In this May 19, 2010, file photo, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, left, gestures during a meeting on Capitol Hill. (AP)

A Democrat-led comprehensive immigration reform bill in the House now has a second Republican sponsor – Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.

The Florida lawmaker said she was signing on to a bill introduced by a colleague, Rep. Joe Garcia, a Democrat who is also from the Sunshine State, in order to boost momentum for action in the House on fixing the country’s flawed immigration system.

The Senate passed a bipartisan sweeping reform bill in June, but efforts to work on a similar large-scale measure have stalled in the House, where many Republicans are reluctant to approve any piece of legislation that gives a break to undocumented immigrants.

“I favor any approach that will help us move the negotiations forward,” Ros-Lehtinen said in a statement that appeared in The Hill. “Other members may soon produce a bipartisan product that may also deserve support and I’m cautiously optimistic that we can pass meaningful immigration reform.”

Rep. Jeff Denham of California became the first Republican to back the bill introduced by Garcia. Denham represents a swing district in northern California northeast of San Jose. He won his seat in 2012 with 53 percent of the vote.

"I want to fix it, I want to fix it once for my generation, for my children's generation and a pathway to earned citizenship must be included in immigration reform legislation," Denham said on a conference call with reporters.

Although House Republican leaders say they want to solve the issue, which has become a political drag for the GOP, many rank-and-file House Republicans have shown little inclination to deal with it. With just a few legislative weeks left in the House, it's unclear whether lawmakers will vote on any measure before the year is out.

Among the exceptions are Republican Reps. Mario Diaz-Balart of Florida and Darrell Issa of California, who have been working on possible legislation.

Diaz-Balart has said his bill would help those immigrants here illegally to "get right with the law," purposely avoiding the word legalization that he said is interpreted differently in the fierce debate over immigration.

Diaz-Balart had been slated to meet with the president on Tuesday, but the meeting was canceled and could be rescheduled, the lawmaker's office said late Monday.

The congressman mentioned the session in an interview with Florida radio station WGCU and his office confirmed the meeting.

The recent budget fight only inflamed conservative GOP feelings toward President Obama.

Obama on Monday reiterated his call for Congress to complete action on an immigration overhaul before the end of the year.

He said that represented the only way to end the record deportations of immigrants undertaken by his administration, actions he has tried to curtail by allowing young people who immigrated illegally into the United States — so-called Dreamers — to remain in the country under certain conditions.

Most House Republicans reject a comprehensive approach and many question offering citizenship to people who broke U.S. immigration laws to be in this country. The House Judiciary Committee has moved forward with individual, single-issue immigration bills.

The Senate bill, strongly backed by the White House, includes billions for border security, a reworked legal immigration system to allow tens of thousands of high- and low-skilled workers into the country, and a 13-year path to citizenship for the 11 million immigrants already here illegally.

Denham said House Democrats were willing to incorporate his separate bill that would allow immigrants who are in the county illegally to become legal permanent residents if they enlist in the military and become a citizen after four years of service with an honorable discharge.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...d-immigration/

NO AMNESTY

Here are the Republicans who have come out for citizenship:
    1. REP. MARIO DIAZ-BALART (R-FL) 2009 or earlier
    One of the bipartisan “Gang of 7” working on a comprehensive immigration bill that includes a path to citizenship.
    2. REP. SAM JOHNSON (R-TX) 2009 or earlier
    One of the bipartisan “Gang of 7” working on a comprehensive immigration bill that includes a path to citizenship.
    3. REP. JOHN CARTER (R-TX) 2009 or earlier
    4. REP. ILEANA ROS-LEHTINEN (R-FL) February 6, 2013
    “I’m in favor of a citizenship path.” (via Real Clear Politics)
    5. REP. DARRELL ISSA (R-CA) February 6, 2013
    “I think all of us Republicans know that we don’t want a class of residents that will never be offered an opportunity for citizenship. We’re the party of Lincoln, and the party of Lincoln would not accept people living in our country and not being citizens, or not being given the opportunity to become citizens.” (via Real Clear Politics)
    6. REP. RAUL LABRADOR (R-ID) March 20, 2013
    “What I think should happen is for illegal immigrants to come out of the shadows, become legalized in some way and that status could lead in someway to legal residency and citizenship eventually but just the same as everybody else.” (via Politico)
    7. DON YOUNG (R-AK) April 5, 2013
    “We believe this legislation should secure our border, streamline our legal immigration system and provide a clear and responsible path to citizenship for those already here.” (letter signed with Alaska Senators Murkowski and Begich)
    8. GREG WALDEN (R-OR) June 3, 2013
    “If they pay a fine, if they true up in all their areas and then go to the back of the line, there’s probably a way then that they can get (citizenship).” (via USA Today)
    9. REP. PETER KING (R-NY) June 5, 2013
    “‘If you’re here legally, there should be a path to citizenship and so to that extent we’re on the same page.’ King clarified the comment Tuesday to the Daily News, specifically the ‘here legally’ qualifier, stating that he backs a path for country’s roughly 11 million otherwise law-abiding undocumented immigrants.” (New York Daily News)
    10. REP. PAUL RYAN (R-WI) June 6, 2013
    “I do support what (the Gang of 7) are doing. I think they put out a good product. It’s good policy.” (via The Hill)
    11. REP. SPENCER BACHUS (R-AL) June 13, 2013
    “Because I don’t think we ought to have two classes of long-term residents, I support a pathway to citizenship.” (via House Judiciary Committee)
    12. REP. DAVID VALADAO (R-CA) July 1, 2013
    “Once you talk to the members and explain to them it’s a process, where they can work for it, appreciate it and someday become citizens –just like my parents did — most members begin to understand.” (via the Fresno Bee)
    13. REP. JEFF DENHAM (R-CA) July 9, 2013
    “I am concerned with the Republican Party from a national perspective. We have very diverse districts around the entire nation, and I think how we handle the overall immigration issue could have dramatic impacts to the future of the Republican Party. …I think the Senate’s done a good job. ” (via Politico)
    14. REP. TIM GRIFFIN (R-AR) July 9, 2013
    “I support a pathway to legal status, and once they are legal, those individuals, then they can get behind the people who have been legally following the rules and they can pursue citizenship.” (via KARK Capitol View)
    15. REP. JAMES LANKFORD (R-OK) July 10, 2013
    “I wouldn’t prohibit forever (people from getting citizenship). I’m a Christian, and restitution and reconciliation’s a big deal. If you do something illegal or inappropriate you should be able to resolve that, face the penalty, clear it and be forgiven.” (via the Associated Press)
    16. REP. MICHAEL GRIMM (R-NY) July 10, 2013
    “Legalization ultimately leads to citizenship. That is the ultimate goal. ” (via YNN)
    17. REP. MICHAEL KELLY (R-PA) July 15, 2013
    “Is there is a path to citizenship? I think there is. But I think our plan is about breaking it into separate pieces.” (via Face the Nation)
    18. REP. JOE HECK (R-NV) July 19, 2013
    “I’ve said, and I’ve always said, that I think a tough but fair pathway to earned citizenship that doesn’t allow anyone to jump to the front of the line, that has certain benchmarks that need to be met, like the ability to show that you can support yourself and your family, that you can speak English, that you have a clean criminal and national security backgroundcheck, that I would support those.” (via KNPR)
    19. REP. DEVIN NUNES (R-CA) July 23, 2013
    A survey of GOP House members’ offices conducted by the San Francisco Chronicle confirmed that Rep. Nunes supports a path to citizenship.
    20. REP. MIKE COFFMAN (R-CO) July 24, 2013
    “(Coffman) believes comprehensive immigration reform — increased border security and a provisional legal status for the millions of undocumented people living in the United States now — needs to happen mostly simultaneously. Then, when it has been proven the border is secure a pathway to apply for legal citizenship should be opened for all undocumented people, he said.” (the Denver Post)
    21. REP. DANIEL WEBSTER (R-FL) August 4, 2013
    “On the same day Congress adjourned for a five-week break, U.S. Rep. Dan Webster did something he’s avoided for months: speak at length about immigration reform and declare his support for an approach that would give unauthorized immigrants a pathway to citizenship.” (Orlando Sentinel)
    22. REP. AARON SCHOCK (R-IL) August 5, 2013
    “I think that at some point, when the border is secured and people pay their taxes and they haven’t committed any violations of laws. They have been here for a provisionary period, then they can apply for citizenship.” (via YouTube video of a town hall event)
    23. REP. DAVID REICHERT (R-WA) August 7, 2013
    “What about those folks who have been here 25 years? They have families here and kids…what do you do with those people?…I want them to pay a fine, there’s some penalties they have to through, steps that they are gonna go through. I want to hold them accountable and then they get citizenship and pay taxes…” (via KVI)
    24. REP. MARK AMODEI (R-NV) August 14, 2013
    “At the end of 10 years, if you want to become a citizen, you go to the (federal immigration system) and start the process like anybody else. I don’t think that’s amnesty.” (via Gannett)
    25. REP. JUSTIN AMASH (R-MI) August 16, 2013
    “You have to find a way to give them legal status over a long period of time. Once they’ve obtained legal status—so there’s a path to legal status—then they are treated like anyone else who is here as a legal resident. If they want to obtain citizenship, they’re not put ahead of anyone else. They’re treated like anyone else who came here legally.” (via CSPAN)
    26. REP. SEAN DUFFY (R-WI) August 20, 2013
    “I think a fair system is this: allow those who have come without documentation a legal status…If they do want those rights (of citizens), they can apply, like any other person around the world, but that means they get to the back of the line.” (via WRN)
    27. REP. JASON CHAFFETZ (R-UT) August 21, 2013
    “There should be a pathway to citizenship, not a special pathway and not no pathway, but there has to be a legal lawful way to go through this process that works and right now it doesn’t.” (via ABC 4)
    28. REP. CHRIS STEWART (R-UT), September 4, 2013
    QUESTIONER: “Chaffetz said he agrees with the path to citizenship, not a special path and not no path, would you second that?”
    STEWART: “I think that’s exactly right.” (via YouTube video of a town hall event)

http:// americas voiceonline .org/research/ getting-to-a-majority-more-house- republicans-come-out-for-citizenship/
    Last edited by imblest; 10-31-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: disabled America's Voice link
    NO AMNESTY

I an honestly say that I have never heard of Rep. Ros-Lehtinen before this moment.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    I an honestly say that I have never heard of Rep. Ros-Lehtinen before this moment.

W
    1. Welcome to Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen ...

ros-lehtinen.house.gov/‎

Connect with Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. Follow Ileana on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news in only 140 characters! Direct and interactive access to your representative ...Google+ page · Be the first to review
      2470 Rayburn Hob Washington, D.C., DC 20515
      (202) 225-3931

Miami Office (Main) - ‎Contact Me - ‎Biography
    2. Contact Me | Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen

https://ros-lehtinen.house.gov/contact-me‎

For help in regards to legislative issues before me in the U.S. House of Representatives please contact: Washington, DC Office 2206 Rayburn H.O.B. ...
    3. Biography | Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen

ros-lehtinen.house.gov › About

I am proud to represent Florida's 27th Congressional District, a diverse area which includes Coral Gables, Cutler Bay, Hialeah, Key Biscayne, Little Havana, ...
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Here are the Republicans who have come out for citizenship:
    1. REP. MARIO DIAZ-BALART (R-FL) 2009 or earlier
    2. REP. SAM JOHNSON (R-TX) 2009 or earlier
    3. REP. JOHN CARTER (R-TX) 2009 or earlier
    4. REP. ILEANA ROS-LEHTINEN (R-FL) February 6, 2013
    “I’m in favor of a citizenship path.” (via Real Clear Politics)
    This information is available here on ALIPAC at http://www.alipac.us/f8/traitor-list...stance-289229/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast