http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/l ... 16,00.html

Denver police tip their hats to interagency cooperation

By Fernando Quintero, Rocky Mountain News
June 7, 2005

MEXICO CITY - Like a character from an old-time Western, Denver Police Division Chief David Fisher rode into town to bring Colorado's most wanted man to justice.

Looking a bit tired and worn, Fisher, in his first trip to Mexico City, was on both an investigative and diplomatic mission to help bring accused cop killer Raul Garcia-Gomez to Denver to face charges.

"It's been nonstop. I've had little sleep. It's easy to lose track of time," he said, before asking what day of the week it was. "Our goal is to return him to Denver to face the judicial system. I'm optimistic the system will work."

Fisher, who said he was accompanied by several other Denver police officers, credits Garcia-Gomez's capture to "great police work. It wasn't science. It wasn't technology. It was good old-fashioned police work."

The interagency effort to capture Garcia-Gomez included police from Denver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles as well as the U.S. Marshals, the State Department, FBI and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

Fisher said his visit to Mexico has been a "tremendous learning experience."

"I've learned of agencies I never knew existed. I had never heard of the AFI, sort of the Mexican version of the FBI. AFI has taken a leadership role," he said. "We've received the highest levels of cooperation from them at every turn."

Fisher said he has not met with Garcia-Gomez since his capture.