Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Deportation Reprieve Extended for Gomez Bros.

This makes me sick. Miami Dade College told my daughter that she was an International Student with parents in the country legally and the illegals who should be aren't.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 2243.story

Deportation reprieve extended for two Miami brothers
    Luis F. Perez | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Juan and Alex Gomez, two Miami brothers who came to represent the plight of many young undocumented immigrant students, got another reprieve from deportation this week.

U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., on Tuesday filed what's called a private bill on their behalf to keep them in the country through 2011. Two years ago, Dodd and U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, R-Miami, filed similar bills, but they expired last year. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement had scheduled to deport them to Colombia on March 15 .

The Gomez brothers, who came to this country as toddlers, were at the center of a media maelstrom two years ago when advocates pushed for a bill called the Dream Act. The measure would allow undocumented immigrant students to pursue college or military careers.

Their parents were deported in 2007. Juan now studies finance at Georgetown University and Alex attends Miami Dade College.
    Deportation reprieve extended for two Miami brothers
    Luis F. Perez | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Juan and Alex Gomez, two Miami brothers who came to represent the plight of many young undocumented immigrant students, got another reprieve from deportation this week.

U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., on Tuesday filed what's called a private bill on their behalf to keep them in the country through 2011. Two years ago, Dodd and U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, R-Miami, filed similar bills, but they expired last year. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement had scheduled to deport them to Colombia on March 15 .

The Gomez brothers, who came to this country as toddlers, were at the center of a media maelstrom two years ago when advocates pushed for a bill called the Dream Act. The measure would allow undocumented immigrant students to pursue college or military careers.

Their parents were deported in 2007. Juan now studies finance at Georgetown University and Alex attends Miami Dade College.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

Illegals must all go home.

Illegals and their "anchors" are not welcome here!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Both these young men are illegal - send them home.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

hey i like this, here is another paper you can post and dont have to sign up

I wanted to see an email to Congressman Diaz-Balart but was unable to as you had to have an address in his district to do so. Plan B is to fax this to him. I want him and/or his office to see the unfairness of it.

I am disappointed in seeing all the hoopla to help the Gomez Brothers. They as many other illegal immigrants who are going to Miami Dade College are not coming in as International Students which they are. My daughter who wanted to go to school there was told that she was an International Student dispite the fact her father was a legal resident and I was on a visa. She was denied what she was entitled to while seeing others who were here illegally reap rewards. It is a sad day when I have to explain to my child that it is because we are non Latinos who immigrated here from an English speaking country and not to expect help from anyone. My daughter to this day has not gone to college and is employed as she is no longer on a visa and is a legal resident now. Maybe you explain the Gomez brothers and the "Dream Act" to someone who had the right to go to college here as either with in state or out of state tuition and was denied. I guess her dream are meaningless as she is just the wrong nationality. It is very sad that it has come to this.