Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

desperate means by hispanic groups

Groups ask Morristown to pull deputizing request
    Attorneys call for study of program that would affect illegal immigrants

BY MINHAJ HASSAN
    DAILY RECORD
    Thursday, March 22, 2007

Post Comment
    MORRISTOWN -- The Hispanic Bar Association has asked Mayor Donald Cresitello to withdraw his application to the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to deputize Morristown police officers as federal immigration officers.

In a letter sent Wednesday, the HSBA, along with the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey, asked the mayor to study the long-term effects of having such a program.

The lawyers said the plan "... will certainly lead to an increase of police stops and interrogation of persons of color whom the police believe are undocumented immigrants. It will also lead to a reduction in the reporting of crimes against undocumented immigrants out of fear of being separated from their families, incarcerated and deported."

The HSBA also said illegal immigrants will become "attractive victims to those who prey on the immigrant community" and will lead to mistrust of the local police department, causing a decrease in "the number of witnesses to criminal and civil wrongs who would otherwise come forward."

In addition, the lawyers' letter said, "We are further concerned about the prospects of vigilantism by untrained individuals wishing to expose those believed to be undocumented immigrants, which could lead to a host of unwarranted consequences, including abuse and harassment by residents and deputized officers."

Cresitello, who sent the application to ICE nearly two weeks ago, was not immediately available for comment on Wednesday night.

The mayor has said the move is intended to crack down on contractors who are hiring illegal aliens and avoiding paying taxes, as well as landlords who allow tenant overcrowding, a practice commonly known as "stacking."

I AM A HISPANIC AND THIS GROUP DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ME, I DO NOT SUPPORT THEIR EFFORTS. I AM AN AMERICAN.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 203/NEWS01
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will always Stand by the Eagle, I will never betray the Eagle, I am loyal to the Eagle!

The HSBA also said illegal immigrants will become "attractive victims to those who prey on the immigrant community" and will lead to mistrust of the local police department, causing a decrease in "the number of witnesses to criminal and civil wrongs who would otherwise come forward."
    There's a simple fix for all of their worries, go back where they came from.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Es a mi gusto encontrarse
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The laws pertain to everyone, If immigration laws need special trained people to get the job done, so be it!! Get the job done, ENFORCE OUR LAWS!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)