Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Details Revealed of Senate Compromise Bill

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php? ... s&id=20772

Details Revealed of Senate Compromise Bill
    by Jed Babbin (more by this author)
    Posted 05/17/2007 ET
    Updated 05/17/2007 ET

Here’s the section-by-section breakdown of the just-announced Senate deal on illegal immigration given to us by a Senate source. We haven’t had the time to analyze it yet, but we’ll be back with the fast, concise and hard details on what appears to be an horrifically bad deal.

Border Security and Immigration Reform Act of 2007

Title I
    Title I requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to certify that the triggers are met before the Title IV (Guest Worker) and Title VI (Z visa ) programs can begin, with the exception of probationary status for Z workers and the programs for agricultural workers.

• Triggers include:
    o 18,000 (CBP) Border Patrol hired
    o Construction of 200 miles of vehicle barriers and 370 miles of fencing
    o 70 ground-based radar and camera towers along the southern border
    o Deployment of 4 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and supporting systems
    o The ending of catch-and-release
    o Resources to detain up to 27,500 aliens per day on an annual basis
    o The use of secure and effective identification tools to prevent unauthorized work.
    o The receiving and processing and adjudicating of applications for Z status.

• Title I also includes authorities and resources to augment border security including:
    o physical infrastructure along the border
    o additional field and investigative agents
    o comprehensive plans and studies of the border region
    o revisions to law enforcement techniques and enhanced authorities.

Title II
    Title II provides for interior enforcement of immigration laws.

• The stiffening of laws and penalties relate to:
    o the detention of criminal aliens
    o the definition of aggravated felony
    o gang violence
    o passport, visa, and immigration fraud, including marriage fraud
    o the streamlining of background checks for immigration status

• Other provisions include language regarding:
    o Increased penalties for illegally entry and reentry
    o encouraging aliens to depart voluntarily
    o prohibiting aliens to possess firearms
    o alternatives to detention
    o state and local law enforcement reimbursement and training

Title III
    Title III addresses workplace enforcement by increasing penalties, revising and making mandatory a system of electronic employment verification, and promoting information sharing.

• This Title designs a worksite enforcement system that relies on electronic employment verification and a reduced list of documents that may be presented to employers to prove identity and work eligibility.
    o Also increases penalties significantly over current law for unlawful hiring, employment, and recordkeeping violations.

• Verification of employees: As of the date of enactment, employers in national security-related industries, industries involving critical infrastructure, and federal contractors to electronically verify employees, including new hires and/or current employees may be required to verify individuals, with additional employers or industries added after 6 months.
    o All employers would be required to electronically verify new hires within 18 months of enactment, or on the date on which the Secretary certifies that the system is operational.
    o Once the system is implemented, all employers would be required to verify all current employees within by 3 years after enactment.

• Structure of the EEVS: After the date of hire but no later than the first day of employment, the employer must transmit to the EEVS via the Internet the data that the employer has taken from the worker’s identity and work eligibility documents.

• Inconclusive determinations: Where the EEVS cannot conclusively determine the status of a worker’s eligibility, a further action notice is issued and the individual must contact the appropriate federal or state agency to initiate resolution of status and the individual continues to work while the agency resolves his or her status.

• Final nonconfirmation: If the employer has received a final non-confirmation regarding an individual, the employer must terminate the employment of the individual, unless the individual files an administrative appeal of a final non-confirmation notice within 15 days.

• Data and Information Sharing: The Commissioner of Social Security must provide the following information to the Secretary of DHS regarding data contained within the Social Security database as in relates to employment verification.

• Fraud and tamper resistant social security cards: Not later than 180 days after date of enactment, the Commissioner is required to begin work to administer and issue fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant Social Security cards.

Title IV
    Title IV establishes a new temporary Y worker program to address future labor needs of temporary foreign workers and discourage future illegal employment of undocumented individuals. The title also includes measures to protect the rights of U.S. and foreign workers and prevent the U.S. employer from abusing the program.

• Structure of new visa programs: This title creates a new future temporary worker program for workers who are coming to the U.S. to perform temporary job that the U.S. employer is unable to fill. It provides for:
    o non-seasonal Y temporary worker (Y-1 visa)
    o seasonal temporary worker

Y-2A for agricultural workers, sheepherder, goat herders, and dairy workers

Y-2B for non-agricultural workers; and

o their spouses and minor children (Y-3 visa).

• Matching Willing Workers with Willing Employers: All Y workers must be matched to a “willing employersâ€
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

yawning...it is so tired
    I find it amazing how suddenly they are going to make it work...They have refused to do their jobs and follow the law on the books...They have made the DPS in our state stand down...
    ICE does not come to the phone for the last two years...the list goes on, and on
    meanwhile 23 million Americans are out of work...where is their protection if they legalized 12- 22 plus million overnight...PROPAGANDA
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Banned
    This is just the summary--not the details of the massive 1000 or so page bill!!!! They want our Senators to vote on the summaries!!!

I hope all phones are going a mile a minute. Mine is, even as I type.

Title I requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to certify that the triggers are met before the Title IV (Guest Worker) and Title VI (Z visa ) programs can begin, with the exception of probationary status for Z workers and the programs for agricultural workers.
    I wonder how long our "government" will wait before telling us all the triggers are in place and running smoothly? 6 weeks?
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

If 1348 is indeed the bill. here is everything written out.
    in PDF file. 790pages.

something to me doesnt sound quiet right, as i said in some other posts, i was told this is not the bill, but major parts of it are in here to be used as a starting point

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... cs.txt.pdf

I have had aides tell me the bill is over 1,000 pages.
    I have heard on the news that the bill is 380 pages and
    I have heard the 780 number used.

What are they up to?