Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DIRTY TRICKS USED TO WIN VOTES FOR CAFTA

House Democrats block bill to monitor China's trade habits
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

WASHINGTON

Legislation to strengthen monitoring of Chinese trade practices was defeated in the House yesterday, a victim of a bigger political battle over passage of a free-trade agreement with Central America.

House Democrats, although agreeing on the need for safeguards against China's unfair trading, accused the Republican majority of trying to rush through the bill to secure wavering votes for the Central American Free Trade Agreement, which is expected to reach the House floor this week.

"This bill has nothing to do with China. It has everything to do with getting votes for DR-CAFTA," Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., the top Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee, said in reference to the trade deal with the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua.

The vote was 240-186 for the bill, short of the two-thirds majority needed under a special procedure, normally for noncontroversial bills, that limits debate time and does not allow amendments.

Rep. Phil English. R-Pa., the author of the legislation, questioned the Democratic opposition, saying that his bill would "send a strong signal to Beijing that Congress will not sit idly by while China's mercantilist trade policy injures U.S. employers and costs us jobs."

English has acknowledged that the decision by the Republican leadership to move quickly on his China bill made it easier for him and others with concerns about the government's enforcement of trade policies to support the Central American agreement.

English's bill, which could still be reintroduced under regular procedures, would make it easier to apply U.S. countervailing duty law to subsidized exports from such nonmarket economies as Chi-na and establish a monitoring system of China's compliance with trade obligations on intellectual property rights and market access for U.S. goods.

It would also require the Treasury Department to submit a report to Congress every six months analyzing the application of the new exchange rate mechanism just adopted by China.

Democrats were also upset that they were not allowed to offer their alternative bill for dealing with Chinese trade practices. They argued that their version would be more effective in dealing with the issues that contributed to China's $162 billion trade surplus with the United States last year.

This story can be found at: http://www.journalnow.com
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

DON'T SPEND, SAVE!!

Unless you know the product is made in the US by American Citizens, don't buy it. Contain spending to essentials for now. Show the power of the American Consumer. Then, they'll listen.

Move your money from large banks pursuing business with illegals to small banks and spread it around.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My son has been trying to convince me to move my money from Wachovia to a smaller bank because Wachovia is going to be outsourcing over 1000 jobs to India. I really think I'm going to consider it.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

OH YES!! Listen to him....everyone needs to move their money from Wells Fargo, CitiGroup, Wachovia/First Union, Bank of America, CitiBank, Chase, JP Morgan, etc.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My money is in a small local bank. I don't trust those large corporate whores and they aint getting none of my dough.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn