Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DMN newspaper blasted for 'Texan of the Year'

Paper Blasted for 'Texan of the Year'
    By ANABELLE GARAY – 2 hours ago

DALLAS (AP) — When editorial writers at The Dallas Morning News chose the illegal immigrant as the newspaper's Texan of the Year, they expected some criticism. But not this: 800 blog postings and more than 150 letters to the editor blasting the decision.

Some of the critics threatened to cancel subscriptions or pressure advertisers to stop doing business with the paper.

"What an asinine article!!!" exclaimed one reader.

"What part of stupid are you guys that support illegal aliens? This puts us ALL in danger," another wrote.

Editorial writer Rodger Jones said he was "surprised at the nastiness" of the backlash, some of which came from readers who had only seen the editorial's headline.

The Texan of the Year designation, announced in Sunday's paper, has been an annual year-end editorial page feature since 2003.

It recognizes — without passing judgment — someone who has had a major impact or effected change in Texas during the past year. Previous recipients included the city of Houston for its response to Hurricane Katrina and a former police officer whose two sons died in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as George W. Bush and Karl Rove.

None provoked a reaction on the scale of this year's choice, Jones said.

"All of those readers, it seems to me, who objected, conceded that it is a huge story," Jones said. "They just don't like the label applied. They construed that as some kind of honor that we bestow."

In its editorial, the News noted that illegal immigration directly affects Texas because of its proximity to the border and reviewed how policies aimed at curbing it have played out across the state.

For example, it cited efforts by Irving police to identify suspected illegal immigrants arrested for minor infractions, even traffic offenses, and turn them over to immigration agents.

The newspaper also mentioned Farmers Branch, another Dallas suburb, where residents and leaders marched into the immigration debate by requiring landlords to make sure renters are U.S. citizens or legal residents before leasing to them. And, the Morning News noted, a planned border fence has riled officials throughout the Rio Grande Valley.

The newspaper would not say how many readers actually canceled their subscriptions as a result of the editorial.

"Against our customer base, it's just not a material number," said Keven Ann Willey, vice president and editorial page editor. The Morning News has an average daily circulation of about 373,500 and a Sunday circulation of about 523,000, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

Willey and Jones say they hope the editorial makes readers reflect on the issue.

"No one disagrees that illegal immigration is a huge deal, and no one disagrees that the system is broken and needs to be fixed," Jones said.

Dallas activist Elizabeth Villafranca praised the News for its courage in giving the immigration debate such importance.

"The animosity is already at the highest level that it can be," she said. "I don't think it can hurt. Maybe it is going to make people think."
    http://ap.google.com:80/article/ALeqM5h ... AD8TVBP000
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here's the original article:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-96217-2007.html+texan+year

You can add your comment to their collection, as well. I left mine at this blog by the DMN: http://dallasmorningviews.beloblog.com/ ... ye_24.html

Here's what I wrote:
    What part of illegal don’t you understand? Since you have no concept of the term, it’s spelled…i-l-l-e-g-a-l. It is defined as:
    ILLEGAL
    1.) Unlawful; illegitimate; illicit; unlicensed.
    2.) Illegal, unlawful, illegitimate, illicit, criminal can all describe actions not in accord with law.
    3.) Illegal refers most specifically to violations of statutes.
    4.) Prohibited by law

How dare you glorify the illegal immigrant. Your irresponsibility knows no bounds.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Texan of the year ought to go to a citizen don't ya think?

As in Texan = Citizen! Duh!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good! I hope many more people voice their outrage with their wallets.

Re: DMN newspaper blasted for 'Texan of the Year'

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    [
    "No one disagrees that illegal immigration is a huge deal, and no one disagrees that the system is broken and needs to be fixed," Jones said.
    Except the DMN is their editorial says: "We can't deport 12 million people who already live here,.... Compromise comes hard because the issue is tangled up with the most basic aspects of everyday life, down to the core of what it means to be American."

In other words they don't think our political system is broken, they think the attitude of Americans are wrong and we should be allowing in millions more immigrants legally and give amnesty to most illegals here. It must be nice to live in your own little bubble.

Recent posting at:
    http://dallasmorningviews.beloblog.com/ ... ye_24.html

Posted by Rebecca Luna @ 12:38 AM Sat, Jan 05, 2008

Thank you ,DMN, for bestowing the illigal immigrant the Texan of the year award. I think what you really did was make the racists come out of the woodwork. The hypocrites came out like the venemous snakes they are. And why is everyone attacking the Mexicans? They are NOT the only undocumenteds here. I am EXTREMELY proud of my Mexican ancestry, for my ancestors were here in Texas long before their's were. And , Robert, whether or not the editor loves Mexico is besides the point. I'm sure he does, and I'm sure he will be a welcomed visitor. Lord knows, there's plenty of retired North Americans in Mexico, South America, and the Carribean. You should check it, Robert. Thank you, again, Dallas Morning News. God Bless You, editor.
    My posted response:

Posted by zeezil @ 9:23 AM Sat, Jan 05, 2008

Yeah, that's right Rebecca Luna. Those opposed to illegal immigration (illegal aliens) are racists, hypocrites and venomous snakes. Seems like the illegals and their huggers are down to their last bullet, so they throw out the race card. Actually, Rebecca, since your observations are so skewed, let me set you straight. What concerns the overwhelming vast majority of Americans is the invasion of their country by 20 million plus people who are breaking our laws by crashing the border, then illegally maintaining their presence here through acquiring jobs illegally using forged and/or stolen IDs and making use of the generous welfare state that liberals have set up for American citizens. One of the main factors that separates America from the 3rd world, is the rule of law. By allowing, enabling, aiding&abetting illegal immigration, we have a total breakdown in the rule of law. Now just what race is ‘illegal alien’, Rebecca? By blatantly calling me a racist for supporting the laws of my country and not supporting those that have broken my country’s laws is slanderous, despicable and asinine. Seems to me Rebecca, the shoe is on the other foot. Those who smelt it dealt it. Take your race baiting somewhere to which it applies, such as La Raza, MECHA, LULAC, La voz de Atzlan, The ACLU the ADL and the ACLU. They will all welcome you and your racist rhetoric with open arms.

Way to go, Zeezil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Texan of the year ought to go to a citizen don't ya think?

As in Texan = Citizen! Duh!
    Maybe they're working under the assumption that Texas is still a sovereign country?
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

My vote is for Dixie.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Zeez-You are one smart cookie. You are so articulate and right on with your points.

Kudos to you. I'm glad your on our side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast