Where do they dig up these no talents hacks from? This RDDB needs to stop doing crack.

http://www.dailyrepublic.com/articles/2 ... svelez.txt

Minutemen are making the border more colorful and more dangerous

While perusing the Daily Republic's Sunday edition, an article under the headline, "Civilian patrols branch out, though poll finds opposition," caught my attention. The article discussed the self-appointed civilian patrols monitoring the border to deter smuggling of people and drugs.

This civilian patrol is fueled by the resentment of the Mexicans who come to the United Stated and - from the patrollers' viewpoint - compete for jobs and threaten English as the nation's dominant language.

Compete for jobs? A large majority of the illegal immigrants crossing the Mexican border find employment harvesting produce at low wages for extended hours, with no benefits and no health coverage to treat the medical issues spawning from long term exposure of pesticides.

I have a hard time believing Roy Wood - with his tucked in T-shirt, clean blue jeans, and pistol strapped to his belt - has ever attempted to seek employment picking a grape or strawberry. Though I would be inclined to believe most of these individuals enjoy 99-cent strawberries in the summer, a bottle of Chardonnay under $20 and heads of lettuce for just 69 cents. This does not have the tone of job competition but rather hypocrisy.

Gayle Nyberg, 57, has joined the self-appointed "Minutemen," sharing their strong convictions regarding illegal immigration. Nyberg and her associates would be well-served in knowing that, according to the 2000 Center of Immigration study, of the 8.8 million illegal immigrants who reside in California, Mexicans only make up 3.8 million of that population. The other 5 million have countries of origin ranging from the Philippines, China, El Salvador, India and Germany, to name a few. Nyberg may want to consider parking her 1976 camouflaged Chevrolet in the Philippine rain forest.

Heather Evans described her experience as an "armed picnic on the border." She traced her opposition to illegal immigration to the time a few years back when she noticed the men who whistled and hooted at her often looked Mexican. What exactly does that look like? This same women who based her opposition to a catcall is now debating whether to purchase a gun for future visits.

Just to recap, a man fueled by resentment, a 57-year-old and a women who defined her opposition by a catcall are suddenly being permitted to take the law into their own hands with a gun and night vision binoculars. The word vigilante comes to mind.

I was under the impression that this nation of immigrants didn't tolerate vigilante justice but rather legal justice carried out by means of due process. In this case, that would be the California Border Patrol - trained experts in their field. For those who don't share that trained expertise, revel in the democracy that is afforded to you and make demands of those who can elicit change.

Over a three-week period, these untrained Minutemen contributed to the arrest of three illegal immigrants. The Border Patrol averages 20,000-plus arrest a week. They have failed to stem the illegal crossing of immigrants but have succeeded in making much of the San Diego Police Department nervous.

As San Diego Sheriff Lt. Bill Hougue so eloquently put it, "I don't know how you'd feel about a bunch of people running around your neighborhood with guns but it makes some people uneasy."

Mr. Wood? Discuss your resentment with a therapist. Mrs. Nyberg? Repaint the camouflage Chevy. Mrs. Evans? Pack up your picnic basket and go home. Go home before someone is seriously injured, be it from a violent immigrant strewing Molotov cocktails over a rickety border wall, a physical altercation with a protester or the death of an illegal immigrant whose greatest offense was the quest for the ever illusive American dream.

Lisa Velez is an East Coast native who currently resides in Solano County. Reach her at SimplyStatedO5@hotmail.com.

================================================== =====

I love how this twit says the minutemen are making the borders more colorful and dangerous. Oh yeah the dangers we face at the border have nothing to do with the invaders themselves? They are just completely innocent, defenseless little saints that just come here to work. Not one word about the violence these thug invaders cause when they enter the country. This is nothing, but yellow journalism at it's worst. Contact this dimwit please.