Dobson Says No Endorsement Imminent
Friday, November 9, 2007 9:41 PM

In a week that saw conservative Christian leaders scatter their endorsements across the Republican presidential field comes one notable non-endorsement.

Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, in a radio broadcast taped Friday and to be aired Monday, said he isn't close to endorsing a candidate and if he does it likely will come "later in the campaign."

Dobson denied print and Internet reports quoting unnamed sources as saying he was about to endorse former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a favorite of social conservatives who has struggled to win support from the movement's leaders.

"I know Mike Huckabee personally," Dobson said. "I like him. We talk on the phone. I don't mean to be disparaging to him at all."

Huckabee released a statement saying his campaign was not the source of information about a Dobson announcement, and said he had spoken with Dobson about it.

Dobson already has ruled out former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson for assorted reasons.

Dobson said there are four other candidates who oppose abortion rights and are consistent with many of his beliefs, "and I am taking my time about seeing how that's going to shake out." He didn't mention names.

Most speculation has centered on whether Dobson would support either Huckabee or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Romney is in the top tier of GOP candidates, and Huckabee is viewed as gaining momentum.

Tom Minnery, senior vice president of government and public policy for Focus on the Family Action, identified the other two candidates as Rep. Duncan Hunter of California and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, both long shots.

But if Dobson endorses anyone during primary season, it would be unprecedented _ something Dobson pointed out on the radio show. His only endorsement of a presidential candidate came in 2004, when he backed incumbent George W. Bush.

Dobson emphasizes his endorsements are made as an individual and not as a representative of Focus on the Family, a tax-exempt organization barred from getting involved in candidate races.

Dobson has said that if Republicans nominate a pro-abortion rights candidate _ meaning Giuliani _ he would vote for a minor-party candidate.

Huckabee on Thursday picked up the endorsement of Donald Wildmon of the American Family Association, best known for its boycotts of Disney.

Moral Majority co-founder Paul Weyrich endorsed Romney, former GOP candidate Sam Brownback threw his support to McCain, and religious broadcaster Pat Robertson pulled off the biggest surprise in endorsing Giuliani.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/dobs ... 48318.html