Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Does Hispanic growth equal influence?

Does Hispanic growth equal influence?

Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 8:20 a.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of Hispanics in the United States rose by 1.4 million over a year's time to 45.5 million as of last July.

The Brookings Institution analysis of new census data shows continuing rapid growth in the Hispanic population that could increase their influence.

This election year has focused more attention on how much it is increasing.

Nine of the top 10 states with the highest growth rates in their populations were in the South.

South Carolina topped the list with an 8.7 percent increase, gaining 13,569 Hispanics.

The state's total Hispanic population was 168,920 last July 1, a 76 percent increase from July 2000.

For the second consecutive year, Texas accounted for more of the gains in the numbers of Hispanics than California.

Frey's analysis shows the Texas share was about 21.2 percent of the additional Hispanics in 2007, while California's share was 18.5.

But California still leads in total number of Hispanics with 13.2 million, compared to Texas' 8.6 million.

With those increases boosting Hispanics to 15.1 percent of the U.S. population, voting booths are being watched closely this year for Hispanic turnout.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments
    Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them; they are not reflective of the views or opinions of Barrington Broadcasting, KGBT 4, its directors or employees.

If you believe a comment violates the Barrington Terms of Use, please report it here.

Submit a comment about this story

I agree. Put the Mexican flag away.
    This is common sense. If you really want to be American, the show it. You are in America, be American and hold up the U.S. flag and put away the Mexican flag. This isn't Mexico. I am of Mexican decent but I am 100% American. I don't care where I came from, it's where I am right now and where I am going in the future, straight forward and I'm not looking back. U.S.A.!!!!

— Richard Llanes, Dallas

loose the MX Flag!
    I just can't understand why Mexican Americans are raising the Mexico Flag in the United States of America. We are Mexican Americans but you are in the USA and you need to be proud of that. Loose the MX flag!!!

— L Rodriguez, Mission
    http://www.team4news.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=128740

Related poll at this link:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopicp-676935.html#676935

If you live in America, you should have pride in AMERICA.

If i am not mistaken the 45million number is misleading as it includes at least 10 million on illegal hispanics. My understandding is that if you reconcile that to teh actual of Hispanic citizens and legal ones you get to about 35 million round about there.

All the open boders pro illegal hispanic rhetoric is base on inflated numbers (conflating legal and illegal) to push a demographic hegemony agenda.

If i am wrong please let me know. I am open to being educated.

Of course it does and this is where our real downfall will be. Because if they are "legal" according to many here and elsewhere than it is A-OK.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by legalatina
    If you live in America, you should have pride in AMERICA.
    Agree with you. People should have pride in the country they live no where they came from or where the ancestors came from.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/