Dole, sheriffs discuss immigration

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... F/70901003
By Sonja Elmquist
Staff Writer
Saturday, Sep. 1, 2007 3:00 am

GREENSBORO — Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes wants to deport the illegal immigrants he arrests in crimes. But even if U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement grants him the authority to begin deportation proceedings, he doesn't have the jail space to hold people facing deportation.

Barnes met Friday with other sheriffs in the same situation — and one who might be able to help.

The group, which included Rockingham County Sheriff Sam Page, Randolph's Maynard B. Reid, Alamance's Terry Johnson and Caswell's Michael Welch, discussed addressing illegal immigration as a region rather than individual counties.

The five sheriffs met with Sen. Elizabeth Dole on Friday to discuss immigration and law enforcement issues in the area.

"I've been meeting with sheriffs because we want to look at the criminal element among these illegal immigrants," Dole said.

She has used the Senate's August recess to hold such meetings across the state.

Dole agreed with the sheriffs that illegal immigration is a "huge problem" in North Carolina and offered what help she could.

"I hope to be able to facilitate where there is red tape that needs to be cut," she said.

Alamance County is one of three counties in the state that have been approved to enter a 287(g) agreement with ICE. Section 287(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act equips police to begin the process of deporting illegal immigrants.

"We may not all need a 287(g)," Barnes said. "We may all work in conjunction with Alamance County or something like that."

But Barnes was also quick to point out that no sheriff at the meeting had plans to withdraw his application to enter a 287(g) agreement. Guilford County submitted its application in April.

"We were here today to talk about options," Barnes said.

Barnes is one of many in the state who have applied for a program that gives law enforcement agencies access to ICE.

Barnes said illegal immigrants have played prominent roles in the last five homicides his agency has investigated. But without the access to ICE information the agreement would provide, Barnes said he can't estimate what share of crime in the county is committed by illegal immigrants.

"They're not all the crime out there, but they're a big chunk," he said. "I may have people in my jail right now that I've arrested for crimes and I don't know if they're illegal or not."

Alamance's Johnson said the program has made a "significant impact" on crime in his county.

Since June, Johnson said his agency has processed 245 illegal immigrants for deportation.

Contact Sonja Elmquist at 373-7090 or selmquist@news-record.com