Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DOLE WELCOMES BUSH ADMINISTRATION RESPONSE TO TEXTILE INDUST

http://dole.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAc ... ase_id=427

DOLE WELCOMES BUSH ADMINISTRATION RESPONSE TO TEXTILE INDUSTRY CONCERNS WITH DR-CAFTA

May 9th, 2005 - Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Elizabeth Dole today made the following statement regarding the Administration’s response to textile industry concerns with certain provisions of DR-CAFTA. The National Council of Textile Organizations today announced it will support the treaty.

“I am pleased the Administration has been responsive to the U.S. textile industry’s concerns with DR-CAFTA,� said Senator Dole. “I am proud to work with the industry in having their issues addressed, particularly the critical rule of origin provision for pocketing and linings.�

On April 29, Senator Dole wrote a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman, urging him to address the current problem in DR-CAFTA concerning the rule of origin for non-visible pocketing and linings. On May 4, Ambassador Portman responded to Senator Dole, assuring her that USTR will seek an amendment to the treaty establishing that pocketing and linings would have to originate in one of the DR-CAFTA signatory countries, including the United States.

Under the current DR-CAFTA, non-visible pocketing and linings can be sourced from anywhere in the world, including China, while visible pocketing and linings must be sourced regionally. Under the current Caribbean Basin Initiative, which covers DR-CAFTA countries, U.S. textile companies ship approximately $100 million in pocketing and lining fabric to the region annually.

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Looks like Dole Supports CAFTA, she is so concerned with the Textile Industry that she will be adding an amedment to it. If she was really conerned, she would vote NO on it. Unless I am missing something here.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)