Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Don't let lawlessness prevail in the county

Don't let lawlessness prevail in the county
    LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Potomac News
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I read with interest the position of the Potomac News on illegal immigration enforcement (The beginnings of a police state, Monday September 10, 2007). I was happy but somewhat surprised to read that we are in agreement on many points regarding illegal immigration enforcement.

However, the Potomac News states "… the police should not be used as the first line of defense against illegal immigration. Their job is to protect and serve, not to find and detain."

When federal agencies and Congress fail to do their job, localities must fall back on their own authority. Lack of performance by those tasked with enforcement is forcing this country to vigilantism, which nobody wants.

Immigration laws have been violated along with many other laws by the maintained presence of illegal immigrants in this country. Laws have already been violated, hence the term 'ILLEGAL' immigrant.

To protect and serve is the motto, not the job of the police. A part of their job is to arrest and detain lawbreakers and to act when they observe a crime being committed. Using reasonable suspicion, law enforcement should be able to check for valid identification. If none is available, law enforcement should be able to detain until the person is identified and immigration status verified.

If the identification papers are false, there is another charge to be tacked on the illegal immigrant on their way to deportation. As an American citizen I am neither offended nor do I object to showing identification to authorities.

Law enforcement is basically a reactionary force, which in many cases responds after the fact. The citizen is their own first line of defense and has the responsibility to protect themselves and their family.

People are sadly mistaken if they believe the influx of illegal immigrants is a positive for this country. It is a burden in many ways and has already been addressed in letters to your paper.

Allowing lawlessness to prevail because there are just too many illegals is not a reason, it is a cop-out. Americans want to pass on a better country to their children and grandchildren. We do not want to explain why we allowed a government with no backbone to give it away because it was too difficult.

JIM HOLMES

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Sate ... ws!opinion

There should be a delegation knocking on the door of Mr. Jim Holmes to recruit him to run for office. This is the way it was done in years past and the system should be revisited.