Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Dozens protest at rainy candlelight vigil in Hazelton

http://www.standardspeaker.com/index.ph ... 2&Itemid=2

Dozens protest at rainy candlelight vigil
    Thursday, 13 July 2006
    By L.A. TARONE
    Close to 200 people came.
    They passed out and carried small American flags. Some girls wore them in their hair. They talked. They lit candles.
    And they all got wet.

Thursday evening’s candlelight vigil at City Hall, arranged by the Hazleton Area Latino Taskforce, went on for an hour as planned despite the rain that started at about 8:05 and ended just before 9.

“We are here to show support for the people of Hazleton, the immigrants, and also for progress in this town,” Dr. Agapito Lopez, one of the vigil’s organizers, said just before it began. “This ordinance will affect everyone, not only Latinos. It will affect people with property to rent, it will affect business owners – part of that is because Latinos have become the majority of consumers in town – and it will affect immigrants who make up the workforce that attracts industries to this area.

“So this is really to show support for all the people of Hazleton,” Lopez said.

The event was a vigil, not a rally. There were no signs, no banners and no chants. Only Lopez and Anna Arias spoke publicly, and both briefly. Just before 8 p.m., Lopez walked up the steps of City Hall to the main entrance. Much of the crowd – most of which was Latino but included a number of non-Latinos – followed him. He made a few brief remarks in English to offiically begin the vigil.
    Then the rain came.

Initially, it was hoped the showers would be light and brief. But as umbrellas appeared, the rain got heavier. For a while, it poured. Lopez used a megaphone to announce the vigil would go on.

“We are here to show solidarity,” Lopez announced. “We said we would stay here for an hour, until 9 p.m., and we’re staying despite the rain.”

Most in the crowd lit candles under umbrellas at about 8:30 p.m.
    It appeared that most of the crowd was local. But there was out-of-town support as well. Several members of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary came from Scranton.

“Our congregation has been talking a lot about possible changes in immigration law nationally,” Sister Mary Jo Gallagher said. “But this is not what we should do. We think this ordinance will harm immigrants and harm the people of Hazleton.”

Local businessman Amilcar Arroyo initially supported much of the ordinance. But he changed his mind after a few days.

“I support the mayor in his efforts to fight crime,” Arroyo said. “I still do. English is the common language of the U.S. and everyone should learn it. But what happened is that after a few days, I noticed people weren’t saying ‘illegals’ anymore, they were saying ‘Hispanics.’ I think this ordinance has opened the door for people to say, ‘We don’t want you here.’”

The vigil was peaceful and without incident. While city police said they were certain it would be, they were prepared for any trouble that might have popped up. Church Street in front of City Hall and a block of both Green and Maple streets were closed, with cruisers at each corner.

“Our goal is just to make sure there are no problems – that there are no infiltrators from outside causing any trouble,” Officer Jerry Tray said. “Church Street was closed so no one would drive by and yell racial epithets. Everyone has the right to be heard, and we want to be sure they can be.”

Agents from the federal Department of Justice and representatives from the Pennsylvania Human Rights Commission were also in the crowd.

While the overwhelming majority of the crowd opposed the ordinance, there was a small handful of supporters of it as well. One, Robert Lindsay of Hazleton, was quite open. Carrying a larger American flag, Lindsay mixed with the rest of the crowd. He said he was there because “Mayor Barletta needs our support.”

“I support what he’s trying to do,” Lindsay said. He added he wasn’t concerned about being outnumbered at the vigil.

“If everyone just acts sensibly, nothing will happen,” Lindsay said. “I understand what (opponents) are saying. They have a right to speak. I’ll listen to their opinion if they’ll listen to mine.”

The rain began letting up about 8:50 p.m. As both the rain and the rally ended, Arias announced the turnout was a “blessing from God.” She also announced instructions to supporters, both in Spanish and English, for attending tonight’s council meeting. She asked supporters to start showing up at 5:30 p.m., told them the meeting starts at 6:30 (which is incorrect – it begins at 7 p.m.) and explained that not everyone would be allowed in because of the limited capacity of council chambers and the auditorium. She asked those who could not get in to stand silently outside. She told supporters not to argue with anyone; to simply stand there.

“If someone yells anything at you, say nothing,” Arias said.
    Lopez announced, both in English and Spanish, “We came here to be free – and we are staying here!”

As the crowd began dissipating, a male voice with a Spanish accent yelled, “God bless America!”

The bulk of the crowd yelled back.

“God bless America!”
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a bunch of fluff.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My first thought was that the rain was a message from God and secondly, I thought about writing a letter to the Editor but it appears that someone in the area is taking care of business.

Dixie

http://www.standardspeaker.com/index...2400&Itemid=10

Latino group should come out in the open
    Tuesday, 11 July 2006

Editor,
    WOW! The new “task force” in town, HALT (Hazleton Area Latino Task Force), is going behind closed doors to figure out a way to get around being an illegal immigrant. The nerve of Hazleton wanting them to obey the law; after all, we can’t survive without those whom are illegal (according to Anna Arias). -I wonder if roll call is taken at these meetings?

I wonder why all those lawyers are at the meetings but not the press. After all, I’m “sure” that they are helping out for free; right?
    I wonder if Dr. Lopez will help out my family if we ever need eye care but can only “barter” some of my belongings to pay the bill?
    I wonder if this self proclaimed group will ever understand the word “illegal”?

I wonder if Hazle Twp is for this Relief Act proposed by the mayor. After all, the industrial parks might have to start paying decent wages again.
    Dr. Lopez stated that part of his job is to make sure that the Latinos know what their responsibilities are. Well I think that letting them know that it is great to be illegal is a super way to start. I mean, after all, they do most of the manual labor around here. Right?

This entire situation with regard to HALT is so crazy that I feel like I live on Mars. If any lawyer representing them actually gets them to “halt” this ordinance, then I think every convicted felon in all prisons should appeal their cases, with that lawyer representing them, since that lawyer will have taken the “ill” out of “illegal. This is pretty mind boggling, henna? (that’s a Hazleton term by the way)

In regards to the secrecy: why no press? Mr. Barletta isn’t afraid to let his agenda clear in an open forum scenario. I wonder what would happen if the ICE broke up one of those meetings? I guess that Dr Lopez and Anna Arias would then have a lot of time on their hands changing the name of their task force from HALT to HIDE…aka “ Hazleton Isn’t Dumb Either.”
    As to HALT, I think that if you want all illegal immigrants welcomed, then invite Hazleton people to speak at your meetings like council let you speak at theirs.

I, as well as many other people I know would attend and be happy to listen to your ideas also, after all, we all want to be welcomed with open arms, right?

Ed Makuta,
    McAdoo
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/15029359.htm

Posted on Thu, Jul. 13, 2006

CASEY: Hazleton Latinos get it right

By Casey Jones

Times Leader Opinion Columnist

This is a tale of two rallies, one done wrong and one done right.

A couple of months ago, I went to a pro-immigration rally at the Lackawanna County Courthouse.

The protestors carried signs printed in Spanish. They chanted in Spanish. They waved Mexican flags.

And they came across as angry, and demanding. It played right into the hands of those who oppose them. One bystander compared the scene to an "invasion."

I guess you could say that the people at the rally in Scranton didn’t understand the culture of their adopted land.

We have a saying in America. (I’m not positive, but we may have stolen it from the Italians.)

It goes like this: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Loosely translated, that means when you come to this country you’d better drive on the right side of the road, take your shoes off in the airport, and above all, speak English.

It’s not a law; it’s just our way of doing businesses.

And there are no exceptions.

The rule applies to anyone who comes to live in our country, our Spanish-speaking Latino friends included.

Personally, I don’t care if people speak English, Spanish, or gibberish.

Other Americans feel otherwise, and some very strongly. They want newcomers to speak English proficiently if they want to live, work and pay taxes in this country.

So if you’re going to protest against immigration policies, or laws that would make English the official language, it would be wise to do so in, you got it, English.

That brings me to Rally No. 2, a vigil held in Hazleton last night.

I expected a repeat of what I saw in Scranton.

Mexican flags, men in sombreros, maybe even chants of "Hell no, we won’t go."

And I was mistaken.

A crowd of about 150 persons, Latinos salted with whites, gathered on the steps of Hazleton City Hall to protest Mayor Lou Barletta’s Illegal Immigration Relief Act.

And they did everything right.

There was no marching; no chanting; no funny hats, foreign flags or inflammatory signs.

For an hour, and despite a wind-driven rain, the group stood in solidarity, talking quietly, holding tiny American flags, burning candles sheltered in plastic cups.

There was a brief introduction and a solemn invocation, both in English.

And at the soggy conclusion, a bi-lingual invitation was issued for the participants to attend tonight’s 6:30 p.m. Hazleton City Council meeting, where the council is expected to vote on the proposed laws.

Anna Arryos, a local Latino leader, told the crowd to come to the council session early, and be respectful if confronted outside the meeting.

"If anyone says anything negative, don’t argue."

The immigration relief act, which has drawn national attention and threats of litigation, would fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, and suspend the licenses of businesses who hire them.

It also contains a controversial provision making English the city’s official language for all documents, signs, telecommunications and electronic communications.

Council voted 4-1 in favor of the laws last month, and could give final approval tonight.

The measure is viewed as discriminatory by many people, particularly Latinos and lawyers, and has focused a national spotlight on the city of 31,000, where approximately 7,000 Latinos live.

Dr. Agapito Lopez, who helped organize the vigil, said he is optimistic that the backlash against the law will turn the council’s head.

"I am very, very hopeful that more of the councilmen will vote against the measure due to the economic and social problems it will cause."

Lopez said the influx of Hispanic residents has been good for Hazleton.

There are about 60 Latino-owned business and hundreds of Latino homeowners in the city. Hispanic residents, even illegals, pay wage taxes. And Latinos are credited for reviving the city’s real estate market.

"Ten years ago Hazleton was a ghost town. We have revitalized this community," Lopez said.

Barletta begs to differ. He blames illegal immigrants for increased crime in the city, and views them as a threat.

There was nothing threatening at Wednesday’s vigil, except maybe to the political status quo.

Volunteers with clipboards worked the crowd, helping Hispanic residents fill out voter registration forms.

"This has helped raise awareness in people," Lopez said. "They now realize that it is important to vote."

Like I said, they’re doing everything right.

"When in Rome ... "

(You can e-mail Casey Jones at cjones@leader.net)
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“We are here to show support for the people of Hazleton, the immigrants, and also for progress in this town,” Dr. Agapito Lopez, one of the vigil’s organizers, said just before it began. “This ordinance will affect everyone, not only Latinos. It will affect people with property to rent, it will affect business owners – part of that is because Latinos have become the majority of consumers in town – and it will affect immigrants who make up the workforce that attracts industries to this area.
    You mean us citizens might be able to actually buy an affordable home or have cheaper rent. You mean us citizens might be able to get jobs at decent wages. Awesome!

“So this is really to show support for all the people of Hazleton,” Lopez said.
    Yeah right and George Bush is an honest man.

Several members of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary came from Scranton.
    More self serving church meddlers looking to line their pockets. Most be apart of Bush's religious right constituency.

“Our congregation has been talking a lot about possible changes in immigration law nationally,” Sister Mary Jo Gallagher said. “But this is not what we should do. We think this ordinance will harm immigrants and harm the people of Hazleton.”
    Seperation of church and state. Does that mean anything to you people anymore? Oh that's right, since when did legality get in the way of someones self serving, hypocritical lawbreaking agenda?

“I support the mayor in his efforts to fight crime,” Arroyo said. “I still do. English is the common language of the U.S. and everyone should learn it. But what happened is that after a few days, I noticed people weren’t saying ‘illegals’ anymore, they were saying ‘Hispanics.’ I think this ordinance has opened the door for people to say, ‘We don’t want you here.’”
    Duh a-hole. It finally took you that long to figure it out. We've been trying to tell you that for decades now. Your right we don't want you here, NOW LEAVE.

“If everyone just acts sensibly, nothing will happen,” Lindsay said. “I understand what (opponents) are saying. They have a right to speak. I’ll listen to their opinion if they’ll listen to mine.”
    The only right they have is a right to be deported. The only question is why wasn't INS there to pick them up (rhetorical, I know).
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Dixie,

Thanks for sharing that FANTASTIC letter to the editor! Kudo's the the author.

I see Mr. Arroyo fell for the tactics of the OBL, never realizing it was purely by design.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/15029120.htm

HAZLETON, Pa. (AP) - About 150 people gathered in the rain for a candlelight vigil Wednesday night to protest the Illegal Immigrant Relief Act ordinance City Council was expected to adopt on Thursday.

Landlords who rent to illegal immigrants could be fined, business permits could be denied to people who employ or aid them, and English would be the official language of the city under Mayor Louis Barletta's controversial proposal, passed 4-1 on a first reading in June. Official signs, documents, telecommunications or electronic communications in other languages would be barred.

Ignacio Beato, 35, who was born in the Dominican Republic and works in real estate, said he, his wife and two children came "to support the Hispanic community and to have the right to speak in both languages and not be discriminated against wherever we go or be treated like criminals."

Beato said Barletta was wrong in saying illegal immigrants strain city services. Taxes from their paychecks go to support city, state and federal governments, he said. Alan Frank, a Kingston optometrist, called the proposal "blatant bigotry," and Sister Margaret Gannon of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Scranton said taxpayers would face a huge legal bill defending it in court.

Robert Lindsey of Hazleton, holding an American flag, said Barletta was not a racist. "He's trying to clean this town up of illegal immigrants. If they want to come here legally, fine, we all did," Lindsey said. "Are we just supposed to do away with the INS and let whoever wants to just come here? I don't agree with that."

---

dot

illegals in Hazelton

I hope this passes with flying colors....

Question on renting to illegals Are they not doing background checks on these people?? I managed rental property in Dallas, Tx for 25 yrs...all applicants were screened and a credit check...also monthly inspections were made to make sure the properties were maintained.If they were in violation of the lease agreement they were notified by certified mail and given 30 days to comply. What is so hard about that?? Are the property owners in Hazelton so desperate to lease their properties with out checking these people out??? That would stop alot of this BS on 4 -5 families living in the same house or apartment. I am sure if they turned their property over to a property management company....( cheaper than a $1,000 fine) things would turn around for the good of Hazelton.
    dot
    lafayette,la

I think this ordinance has opened the door for people to say, ‘We don’t want you here.’”
    Give the man a pat on the back! He finally got the message!!!
    "Send them Back." "Build a damn wall and be done with it."
    Janis McDonald, Research Specialist, University of Pittsburg, 2006

I got a call from one of the Mayor's staffers and it passed on its second and third readings, 4-1.

I am pretty damn happy right about now. It is nice to see one of your ideas come to fruition and manifest itself in such a manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast