Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dream Act; would move graduates toward citizenship

Hopes rest on Dream Act
    Legislation would move graduates toward citizenship
    By Stephen Wall, Staff Writer

Maria Duarte is clinging to her dream of becoming a social worker.

But she will need the support of Congress to achieve her goal.

Duarte, a 20-year-old Cal State San Bernardino student, is one of the thousands of illegal immigrants who could become legal residents and eventually citizens under a bill pending in Congress.

The Senate could vote as early as today on the legislation known as the Dream Act.

Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., is expected to offer the Dream Act as an amendment to the 2008 Defense Authorization bill.

The bill would aid about 65,000 illegal immigrants such as Duarte who graduated from high school and met other requirements.

The bill enjoys broad support in the Senate, but its fate in the House of Representatives remains in question.

Local House Republicans are adamantly opposed to the bill, saying it amounts to a veiled amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Redlands, said he will vote against any attempt to include the Dream Act as part of a bill to help soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I strongly oppose it being attached to vital legislation to pay for support of our troops," Lewis said in a statement.

Lewis also said in the statement he is troubled that granting aid to illegal immigrant students could limit the amount of assistance available to American citizens and legal immigrants. Lewis added that questions have been raised over age limits that might allow adults to qualify for such benefits.

Rep. David Dreier, R-San Dimas, is against the Dream Act as a stand-alone bill and is "most definitely" opposed to the Senate trying to attach it to the defense spending legislation, said Jo Maney, Dreier's spokeswoman.

"He is opposed to federally subsidized benefits for illegal immigrants," Maney said in a statement.

But some local Democrats support the proposal, saying it is a first step toward comprehensive immigration reform.

"America is the land of opportunity, and these students have followed the rules and worked hard in school," Rep. Joe Baca, D-Rialto, said in a statement. "They deserve the chance to pursue their dreams and lead a successful life."

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said in a statement that the bill provides an incentive for talented students "to become responsible, contributing, law-abiding members of our civic society."

Under the bill, illegal immigrants who have lived in the United States at least five years and were under 16 at the time of entry, graduated from high school, and can demonstrate good moral character can apply for conditional legal status. They would be allowed to remain in the country for six years under that status.

Students can convert their conditional status to permanent residency by graduating from a two-year college, studying at least two years toward a bachelor's degree or serving in the U.S. military at least two years.

If the conditions of the probationary period are met, students receive green cards and could apply for citizenship.

Supporters of the bill say it is narrowly written to benefit students who have grown up in this country and have shown a commitment to becoming full-fledged Americans.

Duarte, a junior at Cal State San Bernardino, said she was brought to the United States when she was less than a month old.

She said she was born in Mexico only because her mother, who was working illegally in San Diego, was frightened into leaving the United States by a woman who employed her as a housekeeper.

The woman wrongly told Duarte's mom that the government would take away her baby and she would be deported if she gave birth in this country.

Shortly after Duarte was born in the state of Jalisco, Mexico, her parents arranged to have her smuggled into the United States.

She has lived here ever since, enduring teasing by her three brothers and one sister who make fun of her illegal status.

"It feels bad to get called a wetback," said Duarte, who graduated from Arroyo Valley High School in San Bernardino. "All my other relatives except my parents were born here. It hurts that I don't have the same opportunities they do."

Even if she graduates from college, Duarte's degree will be worthless unless she can become a legal resident. Besides social work, she is thinking about entering the field of criminal justice and becoming an FBI agent.

"After I graduate, I won't be able to get a job if I don't have legal status," said Duarte, who barely speaks Spanish. "It would be unfair because I've gone to school all these years and I've been trying to do something with my life."

Critics of the Dream Act say the plight of students such as Duarte is another reason why illegal immigration must be stopped in the first place.

"There's no question (students) are in a difficult situation," said Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform. "They were put in that difficult situation by their parents. In any other situation in which parents break the law and it has an impact on their families, we hold the parents responsible."

Staff writer Lisa Friedman contributed to this report.

Contact writer Stephen Wall at (909) 386-3916 or via e-mail at stephen.wall@sbsun.com.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_6923108

Yep....the total deal with this Dream Act has nothing to do with whether or not they are "allowed" to go to school. They are......it's just their legal employment status after they graduate. I'm sick of this spin they put on this as to how we are denying them an education. Heck foreign visa students aren't guarenteed employment and citizenship upon graduating from our schools. We have legal immigrants in this country who have degrees from other countries who can't practice here either.

We have our own citizens who are holding onto diplomas who can't get a job either. Education doesn't equal citizenship or guarenteed employment.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is more like a Nightmare than a Dream!!!

---------------------- RED ALERT NOW"-----------------------
    ALL HANDS ON DECK STOP THE..

DREAM ACT" "NOW"
    NEW POSTING TREAD FOR RED ALERT (TUESDAY9/18 )
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=83407
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR RED ALERT
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=83281
    CONTACT INFORMATION FOR SENATORS , NEWS, RADIO, ECT.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 761#384761
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

This is more like a Nightmare than a Dream!!!
    What's been going on in our country is worse than my nightmares...... And they are pretty wild at times.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April