Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DREAM Act falls 5 votes short in Senate vote!!!

DREAM Act falls 5 votes short in Senate vote
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    December 18, 2010 11:46 a.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- A bill that offered a path to citizenship to some illegal immigrants who entered the United States as children failed a procedural vote in the Senate on Saturday.

Known formally as the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, the DREAM Act fell five votes short of the 60 needed to be considered for final passage.

In a weekend of last-minute voting ahead of the holidays, the Senate was to take a similar procedural vote to end debate on the historic "don't ask, don't tell" repeal, another step toward the passage of the contentious legislation.

At least 60 votes are needed to invoke cloture, or end debate for a vote, and those numbers would pave the way for a Senate passage of the bill that would repeal the law banning openly gay and lesbian service members from the military.

The House of Representatives voted Wednesday to overturn the ban 250-175. Passage of the legislation in the Senate would be a political victory for President Barack Obama and the Democrats, who have called for a repeal.

Four key GOP senators who have announced their support for a "don't ask, don't tell" repeal are prepared to join Democrats in voting to let the bill proceed, aides to the four said Friday.

The aides said Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Olympia Snowe of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Scott Brown of Massachusetts will vote Saturday to end debate on the ban.

Their backing would ensure the 60 votes needed to clear the way for the bill to advance even if Sen. Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, votes against it, as is expected.

Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who co-sponsored the legislation that would repeal the policy, said Friday that the four senators have "shown courage" in supporting the measure.

Lieberman said he believes that the Senate will have more than the 60 votes needed, adding that the bill's co-sponsors had worked closely with the Defense Department in crafting its language.

But Pentagon officials are warning gay and lesbian soldiers that the current law will temporarily remain in place if the bill passes as they review the legal technicalities of the repeal.

A guidance memo would be sent to military personnel informing them of the change, which would remain in effect for at least 60 days after it is signed into law, Pentagon spokesman Col. David Lapan said.

Conservative Republicans have argued that, among other things, a repeal would place an unreasonable burden on the military at a time when it is facing severe strains in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The Senate is convening this weekend to finish up matters at hand before the lame-duck congressional session ends.

The DREAM Act would have offered legal standing to immigrants who entered the United States illegally as children under the age of 16 and have lived in the country for at least five years.

Other requirements included graduating from high school or obtaining a GED diploma and demonstrating "good moral character."

Even then, only a six-year conditional status would be awarded. Before moving to the next phase, the students would need to meet additional requirements -- attending college or serving in the military for at least two years, and passing criminal background checks.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/18/ ... ct/?hpt=T1

YE HA WE WON!!!!!
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

My prayers have been answered!

I cannot express how happy I am.

This is by far the best Christmas present I will get this Christmas!

Merry Christmas, my Patriots. Now it is time to take our nation back!
    Travis and Crockett, are flopping in their graves

Im Beside myself today. Cannot believe we did it, Maybe we can take our country back. Im proud to be an American

this is great news and thank you to all for your diligent efforts. I feel we have dodged a major bullet. It is now time to go on the offensive and destroy ethnic politics in our country before it destroys the United State of America. Our motto is E Pluribus Unum, out of many one, NOT TWO!

My prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU GOD
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The DREAM Act would have offered legal standing to immigrants who entered the United States illegally as children under the age of 16 and have lived in the country for at least five years.

Other requirements included graduating from high school or obtaining a GED diploma and demonstrating "good moral character."
    What a SHAM the NIGHTMARE ACT was! Thank God this piece of shit legislation has been flushed down the toilet where it belongs!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Seriously, I'm having a Boehner moment!
    My nation! Proud to be an American! Once again and another day longer!

An emotional moment in my life. I want to personally thank everyone here for their highest patriotism!
    Travis and Crockett, are flopping in their graves