Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dream Act's defeat marks tilt to enforcement

Dream Act's defeat marks tilt to enforcement

San Diego Union Tribune
    December 19, 2010
    By Elizabeth Aguilera

Measure was considered a litmus test for the larger issue of immigration reform

The death of the DREAM Act on Saturday in the Senate marks the end of a 10-year effort for immigrant advocates and signals a pivotal new direction as the incoming tide of congressional Republicans plans to stress even greater illegal immigration enforcement.

The legislation would have allowed certain illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children to gain legal status by attending college or joining the military.

During the last-chance showdown for this year, the Senate fell short of the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster. Votes were cast largely along party lines; the final count was 55-41. The House of Representatives had passed a similar bill several weeks ago.

The DREAM Act was considered a litmus test for the larger issue of immigration reform, and its defeat shows it will be increasingly more tough going for pro-immigration measures as the GOP takes control of the House.

The new leadership is expected to push for stronger border control and much tougher enforcement of existing laws targeting illegal immigrants including expansion of raids and making the E-verify system for businesses mandatory.

Republicans also are aiming to review programs for legal immigration, including whether to end the nation’s visa lottery.

President Barack Obama called Saturday’s decision “an incredibly disappointing vote.â€

Re: Dream Act's defeat marks tilt to enforcement

[quote="American-ized"]Dream Act's defeat marks tilt to enforcement

San Diego Union Tribune
    December 19, 2010
    By Elizabeth Aguilera

Measure was considered a litmus test for the larger issue of immigration reform

The death of the DREAM Act on Saturday in the Senate marks the end of a 10-year effort for immigrant advocates and signals a pivotal new direction as the incoming tide of congressional Republicans plans to stress even greater illegal mmigration enforcement.

Mark Krikorian was very pleased by the failure of the measure, which he called “dream amnesty.â€

JAK
    The new leadership is expected to push for stronger border control and much tougher enforcement of existing laws targeting illegal immigrants including expansion of raids and making the E-verify system for businesses mandatory.

My God, lets hope so!

Americans have had enough... do your job, EARN our trust....or GET FIRED!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

what a releif, I absoloutly love seeing these people being put back on there heals. Could you imagine how they would be demanding full amnesty in our face had this injustice had passed?!?!?!

Illegals go home

Illegal aliens, politicians, La Raza, Mexico, immigration lawyers: Americans spoke last Saturday and Americans spoke on 11/2/2010. Americans do not support amnesty for illegal aliens. That is it. Period. No debate. Don't you know that Americans run the United States? That is why when politicians talk they always say: The American people. So, Illegal aliens, politicians, La Raza, Mexico, immigration lawyers, stop bringing up this issue. Amerians are sick and tired of the same issue. We want enforcement. Period. We do not want illegal aliens in the United States. And we will remain vigilant forever. We have taken our country back!!!!

I am sick to death hearing of the plight of poor innocent illegal immigrants. Don't let our corrupt politicians fool you this country does not owe you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by onetrickydude
    I am sick to death hearing of the plight of poor innocent illegal immigrants. Don't let our corrupt politicians fool you this country does not owe you squat.
    YOU ARE SPOT ON HERE MY FRIEND. WE DON'T OWE THEM ANYTHING, BUT THE MORE YOU DO GIVE THEM, THE MORE THEY DEMAND FROM YOU. AND, I'M SPEAKING OF THEM MAKING DEMANDS OF THIS COUNTRY. IF THEY HAD GONE TO SCHOOL IN MEXICO FROM GRADES K-12, THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO PAY FOR IT. BUT THEN THEIR PARENTS BRING THEM HERE, AND THEY GOT A FREE EDUCATION ON THE TAXPAYERS DIME AND NOW THEY EXPECT THEM TO PAY FOR THEIR COLLEGE EDUCATION AS WELL. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK I'M SO GLAD THEIR LIL DREAM ACT AMNESTY FAILED.