Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW

Duncan Hunter Does Not Tolerate Whiners

Interview: Duncan Hunter Does Not Tolerate Whiners
    Andrew Romano
    Sarah Elkins files this report from New Hampshire:

In the lobby of the Fairfield Inn in Manchester, N.H., Duncan Hunter's cell phone rings: It's his daughter-in-law, and she has good news. "Turn on CNN," she says. "You've won a delegate in Wyoming."

At this point in the afternoon, Hunter's one delegate puts him in second place in Wyoming, trailing Mitt Romney who now has six, and, in terms of delegates, third place nationally (Mike Huckabee swept up all of Iowa's delegates in a winner-take-all victory Thursday night).

Hunter paces in front of the hotel TV, eyes glued to CNN: "I'm now in third place with the delegates," he booms into his cell phone. "Hahaha, that's funny!"

Duncan Hunter could use a laugh--and some good news. The California congressman has had a tough time in New Hampshire, where he finds himself excluded from both tonight's ABC/Facebook debate and tomorrow's Fox debate. Granite State polls put him at 1 percent, a number that bumps him just behind Fred Thompson, who is polling at 2 percent. And with little name recognition, Hunter's exclusion does not bode well for breaking out of the "also ran" category. But despite disappointing numbers and two network news snubs, Hunter remains optimistic. His staff is convinced he will either win or place second in Wyoming and Nevada, and views him as the alternative for undecided GOP voters. In Manchester, Newsweek caught up with the congressman to discuss his "No Wining" motto, the ABC/FOX snubs and the rise of Mike Huckabee.

Newsweek: You weren't invited to participate in tonight's ABC/Facebook debate--what does your exclusion mean for the campaign?

We're going to hold our own Tele-Town Hall Meeting tonight, with [New Hampshire Republican] Senator Bob Smith and [General] Chuck Yeager. We will dial up the voters and it's like a radio program. They can press *0 if they want to ask a question. We had one two nights ago with 1,993 attendees, both New Hampshire Independents and Republicans. We will put out calls to encourage voters to participate and we will continue the mission.

Have you invited Ron Paul, who has also been snubbed by Fox News, to participate in your Tele-Town Hall Meeting?

No. I figure he's got his own positions and I'm going to use my Tele-Town meeting to tell my voters what I stand for. Congressman Paul has $10 million to tell his voters what he stands for.

It must be discouraging not to be included in these debates. How are is the campaign coping in terms of morale?

My trademark in politics is that I hate whiners. I charge ahead, I don't complain. The way I have maintained a 26-year career in Congress is I think positive. I don't spend my time building backup positions. We are going to continue our campaign and move forward. I've already made my statements and taken my position. And I have to say, it is a mistake for a news entity whose motto is "We report, you decide" to be excluding candidates. But you're going to have to find someone else to complain. People know where I stand on issues like national defense and an enforceable border. I'm going to spend my time talking about where I think America should go, and not whining.

You received less than 1 percent of the vote in Iowa. How do you move on from that and push forward in New Hampshire?

We're going to hopefully do well here on Tuesday. We have our TV and radio ads and our direct mail out and we are doing a ton of talk radio. I think Iowa is reflective of the fact that this is a totally open race. You look at the [political] commentators and try to ask them to pick a winner and they have no idea. I didn't go to Iowa at all because, as I called it two weeks ago, I knew it was a two-man race with Huckabee winning. We didn't spend a dime in Iowa, and in fact some people were surprised that I even showed up in the polls,

This year's race is still pretty unpredictable. How does an open contest like this one benefit candidates like yourself?

It definitely helps. There isn't an heir apparent in the White House, there isn't someone in the vice presidency stepping into the nomination. Political historians concur that this first truly open presidential race in decades. Nobody has surged out with 40, 50, 60 percent of the vote.

How influential do you think the press is and will continue to be in terms of anointing a front-runner?

Well first of all, remember that [the press] wrote off Huckabee at one point in the summer. They said that this was basically a three-man race with Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney--the three amigos--with a possible entry by Fred Thompson. They didn't even mention Mike Huckabee and then he ended up not only winning the Iowa race but winning with a massive margin. I am currently tied with Thompson in New Hampshire, and at one time the press had thought that he would have a lead [in the Republican race]. What I think was reflected in the votes in Iowa was that, despite the press, there is still a certain amount of independence amongst American voters. And it would be terribly ironic if I end up in third place with the delegates and yet the press chose to exclude me from the debates on the eve of the election.

http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stum ... iners.aspx

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hunter won the Texas Straw Poll.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Dixie wrote:

Yes he did - he almost doubled second place finisher Fred Thompson with 534 votes (Hunter had 41% of the vote). He also won a straw poll in Maricopa County, Ariz. (easily besting Arizona's own John McCain). Additionally, finished a close third (6 votes) behind Giuliani in S.C. Hunter has a message that will resonate with folks, however, the lack of media attention he's getting is seriously hurting his chances. I don't believe it's time to stick a fork in him yet though!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Dixie wrote:

Yes he did - he almost doubled second place finisher Fred Thompson with 534 votes (Hunter had 41% of the vote). He also won a straw poll in Maricopa County, Ariz. (easily besting Arizona's own John McCain). Additionally, finished a close third (6 votes) behind Giuliani in S.C. Hunter has a message that will resonate with folks, however, the lack of media attention he's getting is seriously hurting his chances. I don't believe it's time to stick a fork in him yet though!
    MW- you have never waivered on Hunter, wish there were more like you out there. Hunter's problem is $$$$ and media. It is really a shame.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

MW
    BorderFox wrote:

MW- you have never waivered on Hunter, wish there were more like you out there. Hunter's problem is $$$$ and media. It is really a shame.
    After extensive research on all the candidates, I have firmly decided to ride the Hunter "Dark Horse" to the finish line - unless of course a complete collapse forces me off. IMHO, he's that good and deserve much better than he's getting from fickle voters who climb off early because the media has prematurely ruled him a loser.

I don't begrudge anyone their choice, however, Hunter is the right candidate for me.