Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Each illegal immigrant with MDR-TB can infect 10-30 people

TB Or Not TB: The Alien Health Threat

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 8/29/2007

Illegal Immigration: An alien with an infectious form of tuberculosis shows that border control is not merely an economic or national security issue. It's a medical emergency bringing new meaning to the phrase "yearning to breathe free."

Related Topics: Immigration | Health Care

Francisco Santos, 17, an alien of undetermined status, walked into the emergency room of the Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville, Ga., last Friday with symptoms of what was diagnosed as a case of active, contagious tuberculosis.

At first, Santos, who listed his birthplace as Mexico, refused treatment and threatened to walk out and head back to his home country. Authorities had to obtain a court order to hold him in isolation at a medical facility in the county jail.

How and where Santos contracted the disease is unknown. Perhaps it was from one of the 12 million illegal aliens in the U.S., with more arriving each day, unscreened and unchecked for infectious diseases.

According to the Ellis Island Museum, some 12 million aliens legally sought entry into the U.S. between 1892 and 1954, literally in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty. But before they could set foot in America proper, they were given at least a cursory medical exam. Those suspected of carrying an infectious disease were held until public health officials could determine if they posed a health risk.

Those days are over. A 2005 report in the Journal of the American Medical Association documented one of the consequences of illegal immigration — the reappearance of infectious diseases long thought eradicated or under control.

In the article, co-written with California health officials, Dr. Reuben Granich, a lead investigator for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reported the emergence in the U.S. of a particularly virulent, multi-drug-resistant form of tuberculosis known as MDR-TB.

Evidence of this drug-resistant TB had surfaced in 38 of 61 California health jurisdictions. Those infected were said to be four times as likely to die from the disease and twice as likely to "transmit the disease to others" as other tuberculosis patients.

This study confirmed the findings of a report in the spring 2005 issue of the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons. "The influx of illegal aliens has serious hidden medical consequences," wrote Madeleine Pelner Cosman, adding that "many illegals harbor fatal diseases that American medicine fought and vanquished long ago, such as drug-resistant tuberculosis."

As Cosman noted, tuberculosis had largely disappeared from America, thanks to vastly improved hygiene and powerful modern drugs such as isoniazid and rifampin. And until recently, MDR-TB was mainly confined to Mexico.

Each illegal immigrant with MDR-TB can infect 10 to 30 people, who will not immediately show symptoms.

Due to the veritable flood of illegal immigrants who are not tested for disease or required to provided proof of good health (as legal entrants are), mosquito-borne diseases are also re-emerging as a major U.S. health issue.

Dengue fever is exceptionally rare in America, though common in Ecuador, Peru, Vietnam, Thailand, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Mexico. Not long ago there was a virulent outbreak of dengue fever in Webb County, Texas, which borders Mexico.

Legal immigrants must demonstrate that they are free of communicable diseases and drug addiction to qualify for lawful permanent residency green cards. Illegal aliens who are sick simply cross our borders medically unexamined, free to infect those they come in contact with, until they show up in a taxpayer-subsidized emergency room.

Illegal immigration is not only a political and social problem, but a medical one as well, and failure to control our borders could literally make you sick.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/edit ... 0290405244

I had an amusing moment over the title of this article. For a moment I was sure this was another 'right' that had been granted the illegals. Whew!

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nouveauxpoor

I had an amusing moment over the title of this article. For a moment I was sure this was another 'right' that had been granted the illegals. Whew!
    Funny! However, they have been given the right by our do nothing government.

This is the very reason why we need to inforce legal immigration. When my grandparents came here from Norway they were tested for all of this stuff. They were not allowed in if they were sick. Bush has let in illnesses that were once eradicated. The government and the most states do not require illegal immigrants children to have vacinations. We had 3 people in my office with Whopping cough last year. This is the first time in my life I ever heard of anyone having whopping cough. This is what money is doing to this country. Kill a complete civilization if you make money. I don't know how good christian people who believe in god and announce this when running for political office can sleep at night. I take running over a squirrel worse then they take breaking a constitution and innocent people dying and starving.
    We claim that illegals are ruthless and Al Queda is ruthless? Take a hard look at Washington. That is ruthless.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

To all of our future elected Officials

Send a message to the next elected president by going after Presedente Boosh

We will not give up our soverenty or allow a corrupt president to NOT ENFORCE the laws that were made by a hell of a lot of people that were a hell of a lot smarter than his goony goo goo A_ _

Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment, Empeachment,
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Wait for the Small Pox

Wait for the Small Pox
    Diptheria

and all of the thousands and thousands of outher diseases that have all ready crossed and will cross the border
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Paige,I never realized it until you just typed it-our gov't is LETTING this happen!!
    Seriously, Just imagine the magnitude of this everything from who prepared your drive- thru meal to the person who wipes your car down inside after you go through the car wash.Someone(on another thread) mentioned the concern of the kids your kids are in school with and that they will be exposed.

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

A lot of our political leadership is just as unconcerned for the health of Americans as they are for American jobs! The politicians know all about these public health risks , because the CDC has repeatedly warned them about it! Every American should think about that, before voting for any candidate based on ideological preference or party loyalty; this public health issue is one more reason why the stakes are too high for that!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

"I've never given anybody hell; I just tell the truth on them, and they think it's hell!" - Harry Truman