Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Edison protest simmers

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 30425/1001

Edison protest simmers
    Asian Indians, foes face off
    Home News Tribune Online 08/3/06
    By DEBORAH LYNN
    BLUMBERG
    STAFF WRITER
    dblumberg@thnt.com
    EDISON — Asian Indian protesters — and counterprotesters supporting township police — squared off yesterday with signs and shouts about a township resident's allegations of police brutality.

A line of police separated the two groups — about 75 Asian Indians and more than 30 counterprotesters, some dressed in red, white and blue — as they shouted back and forth for two hours in the sweltering sun outside the municipal complex.

Yesterday's rally was in response to the July 4 arrest of Rajnikant Parikh at an apartment complex off Oak Tree Road where more than 800 people had gathered for an unscheduled fireworks celebration. Parikh said police attacked him without provocation, and community activists have since called for the suspension of Michael Dotro, the arresting officer. Dotro was investigated and cleared of abuse allegations stemming from the August arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers — Bimal M. Joshi, 49, a North Brunswick resident, and Atul Patel, 49, of Edison.

Township officials said they would announce results of the internal investigation into the July incident today.

Parikh, who was charged with assaulting a police officer in the July 4 incident, was taken into custody yesterday by federal agents midway through the rally held for him by the Asian Indian community.

Two plainclothes agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement took Parikh into custody on a 2005 outstanding order of deportation, said ICE spokeswoman Paula Grenier, as Parikh marched with a "Racism Must End in Edison" poster and an American flag in front of the municipal complex. He was taken inside as close to 75 supporters outside rallied for justice and demanded the suspension of Dotro.

At yesterday's rally, protesters on each side held posters declaring "Dotro Deserves an Apology" and "Indian Americans are nonviolent," and yelled "Learn to respect our cops" and "We Want Justice" — at the line of police officers.

Mayor Jun Choi and Chief of Police George Mieczkowski addressed the media later in the evening, thanking the patrolmen who provided security for the rally. "In an ironic situation, the Edison Police Department provided security for (the protesters') freedom of speech," Choi said. "We welcome diversity . . . but along with it, mutual respect and a rule of law."

When asked why he did not address the group of protesters, Choi said he was off-site, and meeting with a group demanding the "suspension and jailing" of an Edison police officer was not an effective use of his time.

"This group had a series of demands when there is no evidence (against the police officer) . . . why should I be there?" Choi said. "When the results of the investigation (into the July 4 incident) are clear, we will take action."

Community activist Pradip "Peter" Khothari, who planned the rally, called the timing of Parikh's detention yesterday inappropriate.

"They should not have selected this place," said Khothari, who also demanded the U.S. Attorney's Office probe the July 4 incident. "We are not saying all officers are bad or tainted, but we continue to ask for justice."

"My friend didn't do anything wrong," said Dev Patel, who bailed Parikh out of jail the night he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse. "I'm concerned about my friend. He's innocent."

Parikh's wife, Julie Patel, said she wants the charges against her husband dropped and for officials to remove Dotro from the police force.

"If it was one case, I would understand if they give him another chance," said Patel, as she waved an American flag in the air. "But this is not the first time he hit an Indian American. That kind of officer should not be on the force."

Across the way, a dozen residents dressed in red, white and blue handed out homemade brownies at a table draped with a string of American flag lights and a poster reading "Police Appreciation Day."

"We're just here to support the police," said Loretta Lord, a township resident for the past 34 years. "What happened with the police was very wrong. If a policeman tells you you've broken the law, you should listen. You don't get angry."

Rich Lord, Loretta Lord's husband, said Dotro was just doing his job.

"They want Mr. Dotro suspended?" he said. "In America you're innocent until proven guilty."

Resident Janet Baio, who organized the gathering, said residents should treat police officers with more respect. Many community members also have been concerned with the way the local media has covered the issue, added Baio. One sign posted on a barricade at the rally read, "The Only Bias Thing in Edison is the Home News Tribune.

"The Police Department needs an apology," Baio said. "The officer did nothing wrong. There's not going to be disrespect tolerated in this community."

As Asian Indian community members marched in circles through the complex parking lot, anti-rally signs were hung by residents from police barricades. One read, "If you act like an animal, you get treated like an animal."

"That sign is targeted at the Asian American community," said Raj Patel, a rally attendee. "We're law-abiding citizens of this country. Our kids are in Iraq. Edison Township has lost its tolerance."

Rashmi Makkar and her husband closed their check-cashing business in Union for the day to attend the protest. Makkar's children, Prachi, 10, and Surya, 6, carried flags and chanted with the crowd.

"This is discrimination," Rashmi Makkar said about the July 4 incident. "Why do you have to do these things?"

Around 4 p.m., residents rallying for the police walked off.

"We're leaving because they're being ridiculous," resident Dana Baio said about Asian Indian protesters. "You can't hide behind your race. It's about your actions. You have to obey the law."

Chief Mieczkowski said he was taken by surprise when Parikh was taken into custody by ICE agents.

"I asked . . . "Why today?' " Mieczkowski said.

When asked why ICE officials led Parikh into town hall, Mieczkowski said they used the space to begin processing, but that Parikh was eventually taken to Newark for further questioning and processing.

Choi reiterated steps his administration is taking in regarding police reform, such as installing mobile video cameras into 57 patrol cars and mandatory cultural-sensitivity training for the entire department.

Contributing: Staff writers Gina Vergel and David Stegon

Subscribe Now! to the Home News Tribune. It's EZ.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I was sitting on a bunch of articles on this one I was going to post. Looks like it has gotten a little crazy from the sampling of articles I found.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 60344/1001

Edison man, cops swap allegations
    Home News Tribune Online 07/6/06
    By KEN TARBOUS
    and RITU JHA
    STAFF WRITERS
    ktarbous@thnt.com

EDISON — A 30-year-old man who was charged with assaulting a township police officer at an unscheduled holiday fireworks celebration attended by more than 800 people has filed a complaint against officers.

Rajnikant Parikh of Dayton Drive was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse, said township police Lt. Joseph Shannon. Parikh smelled of alcohol during the booking process, Shannon said.

Parikh, who is being advised by community activist Peter Kothari, filed a complaint yesterday against police officers who were on the scene Tuesday night. Parikh said the officers beat him without provocation.

Kothari has demanded the suspension of arresting officer Patrolman Michael Dotro, who was investigated and cleared in the August arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers, even as the local PBA president defended the officer's actions on Tuesday.

Mayor Jun Choi, through a spokesman, said he had contacted Kothari and offered to hold a town hall-style meeting with police officials, Kothari, and members of the Asian Indian community at 7 tonight.

"I appreciate his offer, but we will first be meeting among ourselves," said Kothari, adding a meeting after last year's India Day Parade incident proved fruitless.

Rafael Rios, the manager of Hilltop and Trafalger apartments off Oak Tree Road, where the fireworks were set off and the arrested occurred Tuesday, said celebrants were unruly and disrespectful throughout the day. After bringing in 15 members of the private security firm that usually works the apartments, Rios said, he had to call police.

"It got way out of hand," Rios said. "There weren't enough of us here to keep this place under control."

Parikh and police tell conflicting stories about the arrest.

According to police, when officers responding to complaints of fireworks arrived at the Dayton Drive apartments, they observed illegally parked vehicles blocking intersections and fire hydrants.

After he was unable to find vehicles' owners, Dotro began writing summons, according to a police report.

Dotro was then confronted by Parikh and 10 to 15 other individuals, who surrounded the officer, uttered vulgarities, and threatened to attack him, according to Dotro's report.

Parikh and the other individuals refused to disperse, and Dotro arrested Parikh and attempted to handcuff him, according to the report.

Parikh resisted, elbowing Dotro in the face, police said. After being forced to the ground, Parikh punched the officer in the face, according to the police report.

Patrolman Jeffrey Tierney kept the crowd at bay as Dotro restrained Parikh, handcuffing him and placing him in a squad car, according to the police report.

Parikh stated that in India police officers are second-class citizens and that he does not respect them, according to the police report.

Parikh was booked, and was released after posting 10 percent of $50,000 bail, police said.

Dotro reported slight swelling in his face and minor cuts on his arms.

Parikh told the Home News Tribune he was strolling with his wife when he was asked by police if he owned any illegally parked cars, and he responded that he did not.

When told by neighbors that police were looking for people setting off fireworks, Parikh said, "Oh, so because the patrol officers did not find who the people were who were burning crackers, the patrol officers were issuing tickets to the parked cars," Parikh told the newspaper.

That's when he was confronted by Dotro, Parikh said.

"Officer Michael Dotro grabbed me on my neck and pulled me to his car and started beating and kicking me, and then he pulled me to the ground and called other police officers to join him." Parikh said. "They were beating me in front of my wife. I felt all were beating me, but I'm not sure how many, as my face was down, and I was dizzy."

Parikh was treated at JFK Medical Center in Edison, he said.

Kothari, president of the Indo American Cultural Society in Iselin, said he and Parikh will hold a press conference tomorrow afternoon.

"We demand justice, as the Indian community in Edison does not feel safe under Dotro," Kothari said.

Patrolman Michael Schwarz, president of Policemen's Benevolent Association Local 75, said Dotro acted lawfully, properly and professionally. Schwarz said the Parikhs' and Kothari's claims were unsubstantiated.

"We're not going to tolerate these false accusations." Schwarz said. "We're not out there to be assaulted, attacked and threatened; we're going to go home to our families."

Schwarz emphasized Dotro and the other officers involved in the August India Day Parade volunteer arrest were exonerated after a thorough investigation that included testimony from civilians who witnessed the incident.

"This is just another case of Peter Kothari starting trouble and trying to create racial tension that doesn't exist between the Asian community and the Police Department. He's just trying to create something out of nothing."

Yesterday, apartment manager Rios estimated several thousand people were in the outside common areas Tuesday night, 70 percent of them from "out of town."

Rios said he had 15 people on morning cleanup yesterday rather than the usual two people, and the debris included a large number of empty beer and liquor bottles, he said.

Sparse fireworks could be heard in the complex yesterday afternoon, and police patrolled the parking lots where spent fireworks littered the ground.

C.R. Patel, a Hilltop apartments resident, said Tuesday night's fireworks presented a fire hazard and illegally parked cars would have made it difficult for emergency vehicles to get through.

"People should obey the rules and regulations," the 61-year-old said.

were unruly and disrespectful throughout the day. After bringing in 15 members of the private security firm that usually works the apartments, Rios said, he had to call police.

"It got way out of hand," Rios said. "There weren't enough of us here to keep this place under control."

According to police, when officers responding to complaints of fireworks arrived at the Dayton Drive apartments, they observed illegally parked vehicles blocking intersections and fire hydrants.

After he was unable to find vehicles' owners, Dotro began writing summons, according to a police report.

Dotro was then confronted by Parikh and 10 to 15 other individuals, who surrounded the officer, uttered vulgarities, and threatened to attack him, according to Dotro's report.

Parikh and the other individuals refused to disperse, and Dotro arrested Parikh and attempted to handcuff him, according to the report.

Parikh resisted, elbowing Dotro in the face, police said. After being forced to the ground, Parikh punched the officer in the face, according to the police report.

Patrolman Jeffrey Tierney kept the crowd at bay as Dotro restrained Parikh, handcuffing him and placing him in a squad car, according to the police report.

Parikh stated that in India police officers are second-class citizens and that he does not respect them, according to the police report.

Parikh was booked, and was released after posting 10 percent of $50,000 bail, police said.

Parikh told the Home News Tribune he was strolling with his wife when he was asked by police if he owned any illegally parked cars, and he responded that he did not.

When told by neighbors that police were looking for people setting off fireworks, Parikh said, "Oh, so because the patrol officers did not find who the people were who were burning crackers, the patrol officers were issuing tickets to the parked cars," Parikh told the newspaper.

"Officer Michael Dotro grabbed me on my neck and pulled me to his car and started beating and kicking me, and then he pulled me to the ground and called other police officers to join him." Parikh said. "They were beating me in front of my wife. I felt all were beating me, but I'm not sure how many, as my face was down, and I was dizzy."

Kothari, president of the Indo American Cultural Society in Iselin, said he and Parikh will hold a press conference tomorrow afternoon.

"We demand justice, as the Indian community in Edison does not feel safe under Dotro," Kothari said.

Patrolman Michael Schwarz, president of Policemen's Benevolent Association Local 75, said Dotro acted lawfully, properly and professionally. Schwarz said the Parikhs' and Kothari's claims were unsubstantiated.

"We're not going to tolerate these false accusations." Schwarz said. "We're not out there to be assaulted, attacked and threatened; we're going to go home to our families."

Schwarz emphasized Dotro and the other officers involved in the August India Day Parade volunteer arrest were exonerated after a thorough investigation that included testimony from civilians who witnessed the incident.

"This is just another case of Peter Kothari starting trouble and trying to create racial tension that doesn't exist between the Asian community and the Police Department. He's just trying to create something out of nothing."

Yesterday, apartment manager Rios estimated several thousand people were in the outside common areas Tuesday night, 70 percent of them from "out of town."

Rios said he had 15 people on morning cleanup yesterday rather than the usual two people, and the debris included a large number of empty beer and liquor bottles, he said.

Sparse fireworks could be heard in the complex yesterday afternoon, and police patrolled the parking lots where spent fireworks littered the ground.

C.R. Patel, a Hilltop apartments resident, said Tuesday night's fireworks presented a fire hazard and illegally parked cars would have made it difficult for emergency vehicles to get through.

were unruly and disrespectful throughout the day. After bringing in 15 members of the private security firm that usually works the apartments, Rios said, he had to call police.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 70411/1001

Indian activists want Edison cop suspended
    Home News Tribune Online 07/7/06
    By RITU JHA
    and KEN TARBOUS
    STAFF WRITERS
    rjha@thnt.com
    EDISON — Activists calling for the suspension of the township police officer accused of beating a resident during an arrest say they won't attend meetings proposed by Mayor Jun Choi until their demands are met, but the mayor says it's too early to draw conclusions about Tuesday night's incident.

"Right now, we're still learning what actually transpired that night, and until all of the witnesses have been interview and until we have the facts presented in front of us, its very premature to make judgments," Choi said last night. "I urge that community leaders remain calm and they're cautious, because we need to know the facts before we act."

Patrolman Michael Dotro arrested Rajnikant Parikh, 30, during an unscheduled Fourth of July celebration on charges of aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse.

Parikh filed a complaint Wednesday against Dotro and other township police officers at the scene Tuesday night, saying he was beaten with out provocation.

Dotro reported slight swelling in his face and minor cuts on his arms after he subdued and handcuffed Parikh, who elbowed and punched the officer in the face, police said.

Dotro was investigated and cleared in the August arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers.

Parikh has reported pain in his face and back from injuries sustained during the arrest.

Chandrakanth Patel, vice president of Indian Business Association, said association members and residents of the Hilltop apartments where the arrest occurred have set conditions for a town-hall-style meeting proposed by the mayor.

"First suspend Dotro and then there will be a meeting with the mayor," said Patel.

Choi said yesterday he is working out details for a town-hall-style meeting in the Oak Tree Road section for this weekend where he and high-ranking police officials can communicate directly with Asian Indian community members about the job police officers are doing in the township.

"We'd like to have the meeting as soon as possible," Choi said. "What we want is the most number of people to attend this."

Peter Kothari, president of Indo American Cultural Society, said, "Principally, we agree to meet him (Choi) but we want a town hall type of meeting on our terms and conditions."

Patel said the IBA has offered to help Parikh by providing lawyer and financial assistance.

Parikh said he has not hired a lawyer but plans to soon.

Patel said meetings after last year's India Day Parade incident proved fruitless.

"We had an ample number of meetings with the township and nothing authentic came out," Patel said.

Kothari said he has reacted properly to the incident.

"The situation is created by the police and the community, not me," said Kothari. "I help people when people ask for it and so as a community leader I take a stand."

Vimal Joshi, the India Day Parade volunteer who accused Dotro and other officers of improper conduct in August, said he stands with Kothari in his calls for the officer's suspension.

"Dotro has a biased attitude toward the Asian-Indian community," Joshi said yesterday.

After an investigation, Dotro and the other officers were cleared of any wrongdoing in the India Day Parade incident.

Patrolman Michael Schwarz, president of Policemen's Benevolent Association Local 75, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Schwarz said on Wednesday Dotro acted lawfully, properly and professionally. Schwarz said the allegations against Dotro are unsubstantiated.

Choi said the police department and his administration have been moving quickly to dispel misconceptions within the township arising from past incidents involving township officers.

Choi also said that any officer found to have acted inappropriately will be severely disciplined.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 80377/1079

Indo-American leader rushes ahead of the facts
    Home News Tribune Online 07/8/06
    It was like deja vu all over again this week in Edison when Pradip "Peter" Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society, called for the immediate suspension of a township police officer based on nothing more than the claims of an alleged beating victim — no investigation, no proof, no nothing.

Kothari trotted out the same tactic a year ago, when he led the push for lightning-fast punishment of three police officers accused of roughing up two India Day parade volunteers. As it turned out, Kothari was wrong. The men had been putting up signs without a permit, were abusive to police when questioned, and resisted arrest. An investigation by the state Attorney General's Office found no wrongdoing by the cops.

Even so, none of the facts at the time of the arrests — or, more to the point, the lack of facts at the time of the arrests — were enough to prevent Kothari from rushing to his own skewed judgment. "They (the police) are there to defend us," he railed, "not beat us as criminals."

Harsh words, indeed. And so much for due process.

Now Kothari is at it again.

This week the Indian community leader turned up his rhetoric and army of activists in defense of Rajnikant Parikh, a resident of the Dayton Drive apartments who was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse from the scene of an incident outside a fireworks celebration on Tuesday. The story, depending on its source, goes something like this:

Version 1: Police say they found illegally parked cars blocking intersections and fire hydrants at the complex. They began to write summonses, and a crowd formed. Cops say Parikh was among those who used obscenities and threatened violence. When Parikh refused to leave, he was arrested. Then the conflict turned uglier still. Police say Parikh elbowed one officer and then punched him in the face.

Version II: Parikh's account puts him strolling with his wife when police asked him if he owned an illegally parked car. He said he didn't. From there, Parikh said, he was grabbed by officer Michael Dotro — one of the three officers cleared in last year's parade confrontation — who "grabbed me on my neck and pulled me to his car and started beating and kicking me, and then he pulled me to the ground and called other police officers to join him."

As is usual in these sorts of cases — when it's the word of a citizen against the word of police — too little is known yet about what transpired during the arrest for anyone to conclude one way or another whether officers were physically abusive. Therefore, caution and restraint ought to be applied. Unfortunately, caution and restraint are what's missing.

Parikh has filed a complaint against Dotro and the other officers at the scene. Fine. That is his right. And if it's determined he was the victim of abuse, the officers will be punished.

Until then, no one's best interests are served by Kothari's premature and angry assertions or assessments. Everything he has said and done thus far seems contrived to sow the seeds of dissent: "We want a town hall-type meeting (with Edison Mayor Jun Choi) on our terms and conditions"; "The situation is created by the police and the community, not me."

So it's Kothari's way or the highway? Far from it. Meantime, perhaps a more flexible and fair-minded leader from within the Indian community will step forward to save the day. Then, maybe, cooler heads will prevail.

"We've been very proactive, we believe, in improving the integrity and image of our police force, which is very important to us," Choi said. "We've already instituted, even before this incident took place, mandatory sensitivity and cultural training of all of our sworn officers in better informing them about the major groups of Edison."

Sudhanshu Prasad, an Edison physician, called the newspaper to say a vocal minority wants to make more of out the situation than is warranted at this point.

"Generally, the Indian community is a pretty law-abiding community, and we would like all the facts to be known before we ask for anybody's head, police suspensions or anything like that," Prasad said.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 80378/1001

Indians, cops set to meet
    Home News Tribune Online 07/8/06
    By RITU JHA
    and KEN TARBOUS
    STAFF WRITERS
    rjha@thnt.com
    EDISON — Mayor Jun Choi and high-ranking police officials are expected to meet with members of the Asian Indian community Thursday night to discuss relations between the community and police in the aftermath of the July Fourth arrest of a resident on charges he assaulted a police officer.

The meeting, set for 6:30 p.m. at Shezan Restaurant on Oak Tree Road, will be led by a moderator who will solicit input from residents, organizers said.

The meeting could not be held until Thursday because of scheduling and space concerns, said Pradip "Peter" Kothari, president of the Indo American Cultural Society, which is sponsoring the event.

During an unscheduled holiday fireworks celebration attended by more than 800 people Tuesday night, Rajnikant Parikh was charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse, police said. Parikh smelled of alcohol during the booking process, police said.

Community activists have called for the suspension of arresting officer Michael Dotro, who was investigated and cleared of allegations stemming from the August arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers.

The president of the Policemen's Benevolent Association's local has defended the officer's actions, saying Dotro acted lawfully, properly and professionally during both arrests.

The meeting location was selected because it is near the Hilltop and Trafalgar apartments where the arrest took place, Kothari said. Parikh and his wife are expected to attend, Kothari said.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... 40448/1001

Edison dispute ends in standoff
    Home News Tribune Online 07/14/06
    By DEBORAH LYNN
    BLUMBERG
    STAFF WRITER
    dblumberg@thnt.com
    EDISON — Plans to increase understanding between officials and Asian Indian community members ended in a stand off last night, with Mayor Jun Choi and community leader Pradip "Peter" Kothari holding separate meetings on opposite ends of town.

As Choi entertained the media at an evening Municipal Complex press conference, Kothari and more than 100 residents demanded justice at a scheduled town hall meeting at Shezan Restaurant Hall on Oak Tree Road for what they called a case of police brutality. The absence of Choi and rChief of Police George Mieczkowski from the meeting sparked outrage from attendees, who said they were surprised and disappointed when they heard the two would not attend.

"He said he was going to show up," said resident Pranav Patel about Choi. "He should come. (This) regards half the population in Edison township."

Choi initiated the Shezan meeting following the July 4 arrest of an Asian Indian resident - Rajnikant Parikh - on charges he assaulted a township police officer. Choi decided on Wednesday not to attend, calling the meeting a "staged event" against police officers. He could not subject officers to unfair criticisms and attack, he said.

"We don't even know what happened that evening," said Choi. "Much of this is based on misunderstanding. Let's investigate what happened before we jump to conclusions."

But the residents said the mayor's absence from the meeting was still unacceptable.

Pinesh Patel, a local businessman, said Choi was displaying poor leadership qualities by not showing up. He said Kothari has always stood behind the community.

"We should vote for somebody who works for us," Patel said. "What kind of mayor is this?"

Different agendas

Patel and other community members took the stage in a packed banquet hall of mostly men to speak out in Hindi and English against the July 4 incident. Two posters printed in bold - "We Want Justice" - pictures of a bruised Parikh, and the American and Indian flags hung from the stage. Organizers placed name plates for Choi and Mieczkowski on a front table and left empty chairs for them next to Kothari and Parikh.

Resident Dilip Patel called for his peers to not take the recent beating lightly.

"We have to take this all the way," Dilip Patel said. "We want justice. We want real justice."

Kothari, president of the Indo American Cultural Society and the self-proclaimed "Al Sharpton" of New Jersey Asian Indians, said the Indian community had high hopes for Choi.

"It is outrageous to drop out at the last minute," Kothari said. "He organized a meeting at the same time so the press could not attend (our meeting). Our expectation for the man was very high, but today the mayor let us down."

Toward the end of the meeting, Parikh - who sat behind a name plate printed with "4th of July Victim" - read a prepared statement with a shaky voice. On July 4 he spent a quiet night at home eating dinner with his wife, he said, discussing their Las Vegas vacation they would have set out for the next day. An offhand comment to an officer about ticketing cars, during an after dinner walk, sparked an attack, Parikh said.

"I never spoke a disparaging word against any officer," Parikh said. "It started with a simple evening with my wife and turned into a violent night because of the police."

During Choi's press conference, the mayor said officials have already initiated efforts to make police officers more accountable. Two officers have already been disciplined under the department's new zero accountability policy, said Choi, which applies to officers on and off duty. Police officers will be required to take cultural and sensitivity training, added Choi, and by the end of September, the department will install 57 cameras in police vehicles.

Three officers have also been appointed as liaisons to work directly with members of the Indian American community to improve relations, said Choi. The township is organizing an education campaign for new immigrants as well and will hold a town hall meeting focused on police work, Choi said.

"This ensures the public at large, not just the Indian American community, that we very serious about reforming our police department but also bringing together the many groups of Edison," said Choi.

Rival stands

Longtime township resident Dennis Motiani, who was born in India, also spoke at the press conference, and urged community members to give officials a chance to investigate the July 4 events. Frank Vespa-Papleo, director of the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights, read a statement from Attorney General Zulima Farber.

"I urge you today to talk and talk some more, and to find constructive ways to live within the law, and in peace, and in harmony," the statement read. "We need cooler heads and warmer hearts."

The press conference and Shezan meeting were called in response to the July 4 arrest of Parikh during an unscheduled fireworks celebration attended by more than 800 people. Parikh was charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse, and smelled of alcohol during booking, police said.

Parikh said officers attacked him without provocation at the Hilltop and Trafalger apartment complex off Oak Tree Road. Community activists called for the suspension of Michael Dotro, the arresting officer, who was investigated and cleared of abuse allegations stemming from the August arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers - Bimal M. Joshi, 49, a North Brunswick resident, and Atul Patel, 49, of Edison.

Criminal charges against Joshi and Patel were dropped Wednesday, but the two pleaded guilty to violating a township ordinance of improperly posting signs. Each agreed to pay a $150 fine.

Choi said he asked Mieczkowski to expedite the July 4 investigation and said he expects more information in the next two to three weeks, at the latest.

But Kothari said the community will not rest until the officer is brought to justice.

"We want an apology," Kothari said. "We want the suspension of the police officer, and we will not settle for less."

Choi said officials have no grounds to suspend an officer and need to follow the law.

"We need to know the facts first," said Choi.

Contributing: Staff Writer Ritu Jha and John Majeski
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /COMMUNITY

Asian Indian community holds rally, charging police brutality

Federal agents arrest man at center of protest on deportation order
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/3/06
    BY DEBORAH LYNN BLUMBERG
    GANNETT NEW JERSEY

EDISON — Asian Indian protesters and counterprotesters supporting township police squared off Wednesday with signs and shouts about a township resident's allegations of police brutality.

A line of police separated the two groups — one contained about 75 Asian Indians and the other 30 police supporters — as they shouted back and forth for two hours in the sweltering sun outside the municipal complex here.

Wednesday's rally was in response to the July 4 arrest of Rajnikant Parikh at an apartment complex off Oak Tree Road, where more than 800 people had gathered for an unscheduled fireworks celebration. Parikh said police attacked him without provocation, and community activists have since called for the suspension of Michael Dotro, the arresting officer. Dotro was investigated and cleared of abuse allegations stemming from the previous arrest of two India Day Parade volunteers.

Parikh, who was charged with assaulting a police officer, was taken into custody Wednesday by federal agents midway through the rally.

Two Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents took Parikh into custody on a 2005 outstanding order of deportation, said ICE spokeswoman Paula Grenier.

Community activist Pradip "Peter" Khothari, who planned the rally, called the timing of Parikh's detention Wednesday inappropriate.

Across the way, a dozen residents dressed in red, white and blue handed out homemade brownies at a table draped with a string of American flag lights and a poster reading "Police Appreciation Day."

"We're just here to support the police," said Loretta Lord, a township resident for the past 34 years. "What happened with the police was very wrong. If a policeman tells you you've broken the law, you should listen. You don't get angry."

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... S/60802006

Asian Indian protest meets counter protest in Edison
    One man arrested

Home News Tribune Online 08/2/06
    By GINA VERGEL
    STAFF WRITER
    gvergel@thnt.com
    EDISON: Local activist Pradip "Peter'' Kothari led a group of about 75 protesters in front of Township Hall this afternoon in a rally calling for the suspension of Edison Police Officer Michael Dotro.

The peaceful demonstration, which was also attended by about 35 counter-protesters and police supporters, also saw the arrest of the Edison man who claims he was unfairly beaten by Dotro on July 4.

Rajnikant Parikh of Edison was led away by two men Edison police said were federal immigration agents.

A spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, however, told the Home News Tribune they were unaware of the pickup.

Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society in Iselin, rallied supporters who chanted, "We want justice.''

Kothari talked about the tenacity of his group, who stood for a little more than two hours in sweltering temperatures to make their point.

"It is very unfortunate that the chief of police and mayor will not leave their air conditioned offices,'' he said.

Kothari handed a letter, signed by members of the Indian community, to township police Capt. Robert Ellmyer, in hopes it would be delivered to Mayor Jun Choi and Chief George Mieczkowski.

During the rally, protesters held signs reading, "Say no to racism,'' while police supporters displayed pro-America signs and one which said, "If you act like an animal, you will be treated like one.''

About 20 Edison police officers stood by for crowd control for the more than two-hour demonstration.

Protesters gather yesterday outside the Edison
    Municipal Complex to make their voices heard
    over what they see as heavy-handed police
    tactics in the July 4 arrest of an Asian Indian.

Counterdemonstrators, led by Jackie Muldowney
    — whose arm is outstretched — sing in an attempt
    to drown out the police critics.

Asian Indian activist Pradip "Peter" Khothari speaks
    Wednesday to Edison police officers, regarding the
    arrest of Rajnikant Parikh by federal agents, during
    a rally outside the township municipal building.

Plainclothes federal agents and an Edison police officer
    lead Rajnikant Parikh into police headquarters after he
    was arrested yesterday on an outstanding deportation
    order.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Why aren't these people in their own countries fighting for change?

I don't get it...they keep saying they want the so called American Dream, then come here and try to change our laws, or disobey them!

If they do not like they way we run this country, they can always hop a plane home!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/12556.asp

Tension in Edison, NJ over police abuse of Indian American interests - should immigration law be enforced only after the authorities dislike an activist?
    Media Release
    Aug. 4, 2006

Pradip ''Peter'' Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society in Iselin, Middlesex County, New Jersey, has been arrested by and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for taking part in a demonstration calling for the suspension of police officer Michael Dotro in Edison, New Jersey.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as saying that two ICE agents took Parikh into custody on a 2005 outstanding order of deportation.

The biggest question is should immigration law in AMerica be applied to quiet community leaders. Why was Pradip Kothari not arrested on immigration charges before. Edison and Iselin in NJ is infested with illegal immigrants from India. They run illegal shops, mortgage business, travel agencies - its the little in market place. Why is AMerica after only those activists who stands up to alleged abuses?

According to media reports, Rajnikant Parikh, 30, was among a group of 75 protesters in front of the Township Hall in Edison on Wednesday when he was whisked away by two men, according to Asbury Park Press website.

Pradip ''Peter'' Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society in Iselin, Middlesex County, New Jersey, led the demonstration.

According to reports, the rally was in response to the July 4 arrest of Parikh by Dotro at an apartment complex off Oak Tree Road, Edison where more than 800 people had gathered for an unscheduled fireworks celebration.

Parikh had alleged that police attacked him without provocation. He, however, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, rioting and failure to disperse at 10 p.m.

Indian American community activists had since called for the suspension of Dotro. He was, however, cleared of abuse allegations.

Dotro had earlier arrested two participants at the India Day Parade, held to mark India's independence day.

After the two-hour rally, Kothari handed over a letter, signed by members of the Indian American community, to township police Capt. Robert Ellmyer, who was supposed to hand it over to Edison Mayor Jun Choi.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... S/60804007

Immigration officials say they coordinated arrest of Indian man with Edison cops
    Home News Tribune Online 08/4/06
    STAFF REPORT
    EDISON: Federal immigration officials said today that they coordinated their actions with township police before arresting an Indian man on Wednesday.

Mayor Jun Choi and Police Chief Mieczkowski had said on Thursday that they had no prior knowledge of the arrest of Rajnikant Parikh, who is the subject of a deportation order.

Officials from Immigration and Customs Enforcement closely coordinated with the Edison Police Department before arresting resident Rajnikant Parikh, an ICE spokesperson said, the day after Mayor Jun Choi and Police Chief
    George Mieczkowski denied any prior knowledge of Wednesday's arrest.

Jamie Zuieback, a spokesperson for Immigration and Customs Enforcement said coordinating with local police standard procedure.

Parikh was taken into custody Wednesday on a 2005 order of deportation during a rally held for him at the Municipal Complex. He had accused Edison Police Officer Michael Dotro of attacking him during an unscheduled July 4 fireworks display.

Members of the Asian Indian community gathered Wednesday to demand justice, as counterprotesters supporting the police rallied for the officer.

At a Thursday press conference, Choi and Mieczkowski said an internal investigation into the July 4 incident showed Dotro had acted in self-defense.