Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Eileen Garcia of the Minuteman Project :

http://www.coastlinepilot.com/articles/ ... rcia12.txt

Published Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:12 PM PST
    News
    BEHIND THE HEADLINES:
    Eileen Garcia of the Minuteman Project : Editor's note: This week, we begin a feature called "Behind the Headlines," in which we will conduct interviews with newsmakers.

Eileen Garcia didn't plan to spend her retirement this way, but, nonetheless, she has become a thorn in the side of the city of Laguna Beach, which she contends is misusing taxpayers' money by running the controversial day labor center. The Laguna Beach resident, who is a well-known anti-illegal immigration activist and member of the controversial Minuteman Project group, recently agreed to an interview with Coastline Pilot Editor Tony Dodero to discuss what is driving her on this crusade and why she believes the press and some members of the public have painted an inaccurate picture of her and those who believe in her cause

First things first, tell us about yourself. Tell us about your family. What is your background? Your career?

My husband and I moved to Laguna Beach three years ago. We have a loving family with three children and one grandchild. I'm a housewife, having retired five years ago after many years in the corporate world. I was employed as marketing director for a large, well-known organization.

Is there a single event or issue that prompted you to get involved in the illegal immigration debate?

The morning of the Bluebird Canyon landslide disaster, I walked over to find my neighbors crying in the street. My heart went out to them. They had lost everything. It affected me greatly. In the months following, I heard many pleas for private donations. My husband and I gave what we could, but it made me wonder why our mayor was begging for donations. Laguna Beach is one of the wealthiest cities in California, and it's prone to natural disasters — surely there must be a fund set up to help our own people during these times. I began to search the city website and stumbled upon the "community assistance" budget. I thought I would find the answer there, but what I learned was that the charity meant to help out Laguna Beach residents, Laguna Relief & Resource, had very little funding, whereas the charity which runs the day labor site, South County Cross Cultural Council, was the highest funded of all. I also learned that each year since the day labor site has been in existence they have received substantial increases, while charities which serve the residents were being cut.

The final blow for me was when the city threatened to sell the Girl Scout camp. The Girl Scouts is an American institution. The camp has been here since the 1930s and has always benefited the youth of Laguna Beach. How could they even think of selling this dearly loved camp while financing and supporting the day labor site for years?

Funding for the Community Assistance budget comes from the Festival of the Arts. Each year they contribute a certain amount and it is to be earmarked for 'the direct benefit of the residents of Laguna Beach'. The workers who come each day do not live in Laguna Beach nor do the contractors who pick them up.

How does this benefit the residents of Laguna Beach? City officials have argued that the day labor site benefits the city by keeping guys off the street, where they engage in questionable and sometimes illegal behavior. Some of the complaints in the past have been workers loitering, peeing in bushes and harassing customers at private businesses. Shouldn't those types of complaints be addressed by the police department? Other cities with similar demographics don't seem to have problems with day workers loitering around. Newport Beach doesn't seem to have the problem, nor does Corona del Mar, but these cities have just as much construction work, restaurants and lawns that need mowing. If we don't invite them and we make it uncomfortable for them if they do come, then eventually they will stop coming. It works in other cities. The reason the day workers are drawn to Laguna Beach is because the city welcomes them with open arms.

How long have you been involved in this issue?

I've been involved for approximately two years, maybe a little less.

How has this issue changed your life? Has it changed it for the better or worse?

This issue has touched me in very personal ways. I feel a stronger love and loyalty to my country. I fear for the future of our country and our children's future. This has become my life's work. Unfortunately, there are a few who have chosen to hurt me. I have had threats sent to me, and there have been "hate messages" that come in the U.S. mail. We no longer do business in town after a local man accused me of being a "racist" while we were standing in line at the post office. I've been assaulted physically by a day laborer supporter. She was arrested, but the police have not contacted me since the first week of the investigation. There have been many letters to our local papers calling my husband and me out by name and accusing us of the worst things, although we've never met any of these writers personally and they know nothing of who we are. I live in fear all the time that someone will harm me or my family. And there is always a concern that my letters will not be published in the Coastline Pilot, since I've had some ignored and some completely rejected for what, in my opinion, are baseless excuses.

What attracted you to the Minuteman group?

The Minutemen come from all races, all cultures, and all income levels, with one thing in common — the undying love of their country. My fellow Minutemen and Minutewomen are the most devoted, loyal, trustworthy and honest people I have ever encountered. They love their families, their country, and we love each other. They are my lifelong friends. I urge everyone to get to know this wonderful group of patriots.

What is your main beef with the way the press has covered this issue?

The greatest injustice the media does is in not telling the complete truth. Many times a writer of news articles will slant the facts or merely just leave out crucial information vital to the truth. For instance, during protests we frequently encounter those who carry Communist flags or poles with the Mexican flag flying above an inverted United States flag. Many times I have seen our flag disrespected by being dragged through the dirt or, in one case, a day labor supporter took the flag and used it to wipe his behind. But, rarely, if ever, do you see those pictures in the news coverage. During protests, we have been assaulted and threatened by those wearing masks to hide their identity. They carry signs with filthy language or statements that this land belongs to Mexico or messages of reconquering Aztlan (a Mexican fairy-tale land that includes the Southwest states of the U.S.). I can't remember a single picture in the Coastline Pilot showing these truths.

What do you believe should be done to stem the tide of illegal immigration?

Enforce our laws; it's that easy. The laws currently on the books are sufficient enough. Every law enforcement officer in this nation takes an oath to uphold all the laws of this country, not just those they agree or disagree with. It's a crime to enter this country illegally, gain employment under false identity, or drive without a license or car insurance. Law enforcement must work in concert with federal immigration and turn over those they find to be illegally in this country. We must cut off all public assistance, except emergency medical care. This means those who do not qualify receive no welfare, no food stamps, and no free medical care. We must also interpret the 14th Amendment as it was meant to be, and stop the practice of granting automatic citizenship to the children of illegal aliens. Fines and jail time should be the penalty for those who hire illegal workers. ICE must continue with the raids they recently started and go after those business owners who are profiting from illegal labor. Once illegal aliens realize they will no longer receive public assistance, and they can't find jobs, they will be forced to go home. When those impoverished countries who fail to care for their own are faced with a revolution from the people, they will have to make changes. My message to those who are here illegally is "Go home and work as hard there as you do here and make your own country a better place. Demand your corrupt government take care of its own people, instead of forcing their poor onto the United States. I would support a revolution in Mexico."

What do you say about the argument that a mass deportation of illegal immigrants would hurt the American and especially the California economy?

I don't know of anyone who is advocating chasing people down in the streets and throwing them on buses. Once we cut off all the public assistance and begin to enforce our laws, those here illegally will choose to go back to their homelands. There is an argument used by the open borders supporters that claim the prices of things will go through the roof without illegal labor, but studies have proven that false. Labor is actually a very small portion of the cost of items. There may be a slight rise in some items, but Americans have shown they roll with the punches on price increases. Look at last year's gasoline increase. We all just go with it. I haven't seen any significant crop fields in Orange County for years. Illegal aliens are not taking jobs picking vegetables here. Most illegal workers are taking jobs in construction and the hospitality industry. Prices of homes are based on the real estate market. Illegal labor does not affect the price of homes, just the amount of profit that goes into the contractor's pocket. The slight rise in prices of some items will be small in comparison to the billions and billions the United States spends in public assistance to illegal aliens.

You have specifically targeted the day labor center in Laguna Beach. Do you believe that center should be shut down and why?

Yes, the center as it currently operates should be shut down. The city of Laguna Beach is using taxpayer's money to fund a center that operates as an employment referral business, but does not check legal eligibility. It's against the law to hire anyone who is not legally eligible to work, and it's against the law to aid illegal aliens. Taxpayers' money should not be used for illegal purposes. The operator of this site is a religious organization. South County Cross Cultural Council is part of St. Mary's Episcopal Church. In my opinion, government should not be funding religious groups. The city pays all the expenses, but the site charges a fee for its use. Where does all the money they earn go? They charge contractors $5 per worker and they charge the workers $1 per day. According to their 2004 tax forms they made $77,000 (since then they have gained more workers, therefore more income). If all their expenses are paid, where is all that money going to? Certainly not back to the residents and taxpayers of Laguna Beach. There are many legitimate and legal temporary work centers, such as Manpower, Inc. and Labor Ready. As long as a work center operates within all the laws and verifies legal eligibility to work, and all employers complete I-9 forms and pay worker's compensation insurance, and as long as there is absolutely no city involvement, then I have no problem with having a work center in Laguna Beach.

Do you think there are ways to operate a center like that? If so, what measures would you take to make sure it runs in accordance with state and federal laws?

The main issue with the Laguna Beach center is that it is city funded. Most residents have no idea just how much of their money goes into this site. Not only does the city fund it to the amount of $22,000 to $28,000 yearly in cash, but they also pay for all other expenses such as trash pick up, port-a-potties, and liability insurance. These expenses can run up to an additional $50,000 yearly. Now that it has been discovered to be on state land, they must begin to pay rent, (which the city has yet to disclose how much). And we the taxpayers are responsible for any injuries or mishaps that happen to the workers. There are other incidentals the city pays. For instance, the city paid to have a water line brought in from across the state highway in order to install a drinking fountain. All this comes out of money that is earmarked to help the residents of Laguna Beach. The city should get out of the business of day labor. The council should begin a search for an established, legitimate and legal temporary help agency and do all they can to encourage them to open an office here.

On the lighter side, if you weren't spending time on this issue, what would you be doing instead? I

I would enjoy working with Ted Hayes, who is the founder of Dome Village, a model homeless city in Los Angeles, which recently had to close their doors. Other than that, I would like to grow old with my loving husband as we watch the sunset from our Laguna Beach balcony.

Is there anything I haven't asked you that you want to make sure is covered in this interview?

It affects me when I'm accused of things that aren't true, because I care so deeply. I feel so much care and compassion for others that it hurts down to my soul. The first time I read a letter in the Coastline Pilot accusing me of this I cried the entire weekend, since what they said was just so untrue. The real truth is those countries that refuse to care for their own people are the ones who lack compassion. Their government has failed them and now forces them from their homes. South American countries are so beautiful, with an abundance of natural resources, but there is a huge gap between the rich and the poor, and corruption is rampant. The people are hard working, but they lack the will to fight. There is no reason why they can't stand up to their corrupt governments and demand a change for the better. As long as the United States allows our borders to remain unsecured, Mexico and other countries will continue to abuse their people. As mentioned above, the name-calling used to send me to bed crying, because it's so untrue. It does not faze me one bit now, as I know exactly who I am and what I believe in. My children are half Mexican. My ex-husband is the child of illegal aliens. My husband I'm now happily married to is a legal immigrant. He came to this country speaking no English at all. He is the most patriotic American I know.

Why can't citizens of these cities who have used tax payers money to build and fund these day labor buildings sue the town for misuse of tax payers money?
    Build the dam fence post haste!