Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

El Paso County sheriff resuming traffic checkpoints

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/50507.html

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - El Paso County Sheriff Leo Samaniego said his office will resume traffic checkpoints that were suspended this summer after critics accused deputies of targeting illegal immigrants.

"This is a public-safety issue, not an immigration issue," Samaniego said Tuesday.

The checkpoints came under fire amid accusations of racial profiling and civil rights violations.

Samaniego halted the program in June, but maintained that the checkpoints were part of a safety program aimed at ensuring that drivers were licensed, insured and driving legally registered and maintained vehicles.

He said Tuesday his staff has reviewed the training for deputies and made some "cosmetic changes" to clarify the checkpoint policy.

"This again, I hope you all write it down and remember, is not aimed at identifying illegal aliens. We are not enforcing immigration laws. We are enforcing the traffic laws of the state of Texas," Samaniego said.

Immigrant advocates charged earlier this summer that Hispanics stopped were often asked for Social Security cards to prove their identity.

Saul Soto, an administrator with the Border Network for Human Rights, said his organization is not against checkpoints as a traffic-safety program.

If motorists "don't have their license or insurance, give them a citation," Soto said. "Don't take it upon yourself to figure out what the federal laws are and start applying them."

Samaniego said earlier criticisms were based on "false information."

Checkpoints are separate from Operation Linebacker, a state-supported effort by the Texas Border Sheriff's Coalition's to reduce border crime and violence, he said.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

If motorists "don't have their license or insurance, give them a citation," Soto said. "Don't take it upon yourself to figure out what the federal laws are and start applying them."
    This is ridiculous..........they are protecting illegal aliens.....unbelievable. It's not to difficult to figure out the laws. This Soto idiot is talking down to the police. What arrogance! I don't believe these organizations care about these people. They are just bodies to recruit for whatever agenda they are promoting.

JAK
    Quote:
    If our federal government has become incompetent the local level should have every right to enforce the law!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Reformation in government follows reformation in opinion." --Thomas Jefferson

MW
    What a crock of B.S. If an individual has nothing on their person that identifies them, you shouldn't just let them go with a simple citation. What do you write on the citation, just any name the driver decides to give you? What if the individual has a warrant out for their arrest, how would you know this if you didn't identify them with certainty? If I were to get stopped without a drivers license and/or insurance, I would expect to be arrested and my car towed to the nearest police impoundment facility.

If during the exploriation phase of questioning it is suspected that the individual is an illegal immigrant, federal immigration officers should be contacted to assist in making a postive identification. It's called corporation between law enforcement agencies. The police should, under no circumstances, release a law breaker without ascertaining his true identity. I'm sorry, but there are just to many nut cases running around to allow for that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I can honestly say that if they aren't sure if they are legal then give them a ticket. Chances are good that they won't pay it or show up in court. Next time they go through a check point they will have a bench warrant which means jail and easier deportation. If you have a check point in a high traffic area you don't have the time to go over everything carefully so unless it very obvious then the next best thing is the citation.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    swatchick wrote:

I can honestly say that if they aren't sure if they are legal then give them a ticket.
    I'm sorry, I don't agree. IMO, this isn't about citizenship, it's about enforcing our laws, removing hazards from our highways, and catching wanted criminals. If a person can not identify themselves, they should be arrested. If they can only provide a consulate card or Mexican driver's license, they should be arrested. If they provide an expired visa, they should be arrested. I'm not talking about not having a license here. Sure, if those folks without a license can provide another type of acceptable identification - just give them the ticket.

Remember this:

Hijacker Mohamed Atta was stopped by police last July in Tamarac, Fla., and ticketed for an invalid license, officials there have said. He ignored the ticket and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest. But, when he was stopped for speeding a few weeks later in a nearby town, the officer, unaware of the bench warrant, let him go with a warning.
    Wasn't this also the guy with an expired visa? Further, I'm sure they guys license was still invalid.

I would like to think, after 9/11, our law enforcement officers are being a little more consciencious in the performance of their duties. There is just to much risk involved in allowing individuals not positively identified go free.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn