Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Emotions run high at hearing in Salem over DL issue

Emotions run high at hearing in Salem over driver's license issue

Immigrant-rights groups rally on the steps of the Oregon State Capitol on Friday, Jan. 11, 2008 in Salem, Ore. to oppose legislation that would require proof of legal presence to get an Oregon driver's license. (AP Photo/Statesman Journal, Thomas Patterson)
    Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com
    Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article
    Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article
    View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site
    YouNewsTV YouNewsTV™

Story Published: Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM PST

Story Updated: Jan 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM PST
    By Associated Press
    Video

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - Emotions rose in Salem on Friday at a joint hearing of the House and Senate Transportation Committees on whether to tighten driver's license access for those who cannot prove legal residence.

More than 150 people signed up to testify on draft legislation and another 2,000 listened or rallied on the Capitol steps.

The hearing was the first of two scheduled before the Legislature meets in February. Opponents of illegal immigration say anything less than a proof of legal presence standard would encourage terrorists and drug traffickers.

But Hispanic activists said the claim was a new low in misleading lobbying efforts.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Friday that if states want their licenses to remain valid for air travel after May 2008, they must comply with new rules or seek a waiver for more time.

Homeland Security wants ID checked against a government database under the REAL ID law.

Oregon is expected to seek a waiver.

In Oregon, after Feb. 4, applicants must prove legal residence to get a license but that is not expected to satisfy federal requirements, because Oregon does not plan to be linked to a national database.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.katu.com/news/13723017.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

drive home, to south america!!!bye..bye!!

Good start Oregon, I commend you!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Hi SOSAD! Yes, well, it's a start. Let's see if our Governor has a backbone.... only after I see his executive order take effect will I begin to believe what I'm hearing and seeing about all this.... ()
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Hi SOSAD! Yes, well, it's a start. Let's see if our Governor has a backbone.... only after I see his executive order take effect will I begin to believe what I'm hearing and seeing about all this.... ()

I hear ya "Phred" I am keeping my finger crossed and saying my prayers for Oregon....thats a double whammy hope it helps
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I C E could have had a field day here ! !

Quote Originally Posted by fmrjarhead
    I C E could have had a field day here ! !
    Darn they missed another perfect opportunity!!

I wonder if the upper management doesn't try to schedule all the worker bee's flex-time/leave time to coincide with big public demonstrations such as these...?