Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Employers face quandry about hiring immigrant workers

Published Sunday, November 19, 2006

Employers face quandry about hiring immigrant workers

By Jan Biles
    The Capital-Journal

The reaction of business owners and community leaders when asked about illegal immigration in Kansas -- and Topeka -- reminds Jaime Gonzalez-Vallejo of the three monkeys that clasp their hands over their ears, eyes and mouths.

"I don't talk. I don't hear. I don't see," he said.

A Pew Hispanic Center report based on a March 2005 population survey indicated from 10.7 million to 11.5 million unauthorized immigrants are in the United States and from 40,000 to 70,000 are in Kansas.

Gonzalez-Vallejo, a family development worker at Community Action in Topeka, estimates as many as 12,000 illegal immigrants call Shawnee County home.

"Eighty percent of the undocumented workers are Latinos," he said.

Gonzalez-Vallejo said Topeka residents know illegals are working in the city, often at lower pay for jobs with no special skills or qualifications, such as cleaning, production lines, manual labor, and dishwashers and salad preparers at restaurants.

"If Americans go to McDonald's (to work), they want to get at least $10 to $12 an hour," he said. "A Latino goes and they just want to be paid because they need the money."

Rick Druse/Dodge City Daily Globe
    Latinos march in Dodge City during an immigration rally in April. Bob Wetmore, of the Dodge City Area Chamber of Commerce, said his city is dependent upon immigrant workers.
    Click here to check for reprint availability.
    Doug Kinsinger, president and chief executive office of the Greater Topeka Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber has no statistics on the number of legal or illegal immigrants working in the city.

"Hiring illegals is not an issue in Topeka," he said, adding that all Topeka companies are hiring Mexican nationals with worker visas and the chamber hasn't received any complaints about illegal workers.

"There's no talk about immigration at the Topeka chamber," he said.

Gonzalez-Vallejo said there should be. And, he has a question for Kinsinger.

"I want to know one thing," he said. "If by any chance, (the government) would take all of the illegal workers in Topeka (away), to you as president of the chamber of commerce, how many businesses in Topeka must close immediately for at least one week or more?"

Gonzalez-Vallejo said Kansans need to stop denying illegal workers are in their communities and start discussing out loud the effect they and legal immigrants have on the economy.

"It's time to talk about what's going on," he said. "We have to be honest if we want to solve the problem (of hiring illegal immigrants). If not, then we will pay the price."

Unauthorized migrant population estimates by state based on the March 2005 Current Population Survey:

U.S. total 10.7 million-11.5 million

California 2.5 million-2.75 million

Texas 1.4 million-1.6 million

Florida 800,000-950,000

New York 550,000-650,000

Arizona 400,000-450,000

Illinois 375,000-425,000

Georgia 350,000-450,000

New Jersey 350,000-425,000

North Carolina 300,000-400,000

Virginia 250,000-300,000

Maryland 225,000-275,000

Colorado 225,00-275,000

Washington 200,000-250,000

Massachusetts 150,000-250,000

Nevada 150,000-200,000

Pennsylvania 125,000-175,000

Oregon 125,000-175,000

Tennessee 100,000-150,000

Michigan 100,000-150,000

Ohio 75,000-150,000

Wisconsin 75,000-115,000

Minnesota 75,000-100,000

Utah 75,000-100,000

Connecticut 70,000-100,000

Indiana 55,000-85,000

Iowa 55,000-85,000

Oklahoma 50,000-75,000

New Mexico 50,000-75,000

Kansas 40,000-70,000

South Carolina 35,000-75,000

Missouri 35,000-65,000

Nebraska 35,000-55,000

Kentucky 30,000-60,000

Alabama 30,000-50,000

Mississippi 30,000-50,000

Arkansas 30,000-50,000

Louisiana 25,000-45,000

Idaho 25,000-45,000

Rhode Island 20,000-40,000

Hawaii 20,000-35,000

Delaware 15,000-35,000

District of Columbia 15,000-30,000

New Hampshire 10,000-30,000

Less than 10,000:

Alaska

Wyoming

South Dakota

Maine

Vermont

North Dakota

Montana

West Virginia

Source: Pew Hispanic Center

WHAT IS A VISA?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Web site, www.uscis.gov, describes a visa and its purpose as follows:

If you're a citizen of a foreign country, in most cases you'll need a visa to enter the United States.

A visa doesn't permit entry to the United States. A visa indicates your application has been reviewed by a U.S. consular officer at an American embassy or consulate, and the officer has determined you're eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose. Consular affairs are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of State.

A visa allows you to travel to the United States as far as the port of entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the immigration officer to allow you to enter the country. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. He or she decides how long you can stay for any particular visit. Immigration matters are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

There are two categories of U.S. visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant.

Immigrant visas are for people who intend to live permanently in the United States. Nonimmigrant visas are for people with permanent residence outside the United States but who wish to be in the United States on a temporary basis -- for tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work or study.

ABOUT THE PROJECT

This is the fourth installment in a series of stories to be published throughout the year examining illegal immigration and its impact on Topeka, Kansas and the nation.

Sept. 3: Some risk everything to cross the border illegally.

Sept. 17: Others navigate the legal waters to become citizens of the United States.

Oct. 22: Local law enforcement agencies say they want a realistic directive from Washington.

Today: Much of the state's economy is dependent on immigrant workers.

More inside: Guest-worker programs keep local companies viable. Page 11A.

Employers say they can't verify identification documents. Page 12A.

Hospitals treat first, seek payment later. Page 13A.

Next month: The business of illigal immigration.

'Dependent on them'

The meatpacking industry in Kansas and elsewhere has historically attracted immigrants, largely because it provides entry-level employment with good wages and benefits, said Gary Mickelson, spokesman for Springdale, Ark.-based Tyson Foods Inc.

Tyson employs 6,200 people in Kansas at processing plants in Emporia, Holcomb, Hutchinson, and South Hutchinson and a distribution center in Olathe.

He said about one-third of the company's work force is Hispanic, about 20 percent black and less than 5 percent Asian. However, Tyson doesn't track how many of its employees are immigrant workers.

"Our jobs pay well above the minimum wage and include comprehensive health care and benefits," he said. "For example, production workers at our Kansas beef plants earn in the range of $11 to more than $13 an hour, while maintenance workers can earn as much as $16 an hour."

He said Tyson has never been fined for hiring undocumented workers.

Jeanine McKenna, president and chief executive officer of the Emporia Area Chamber of Commerce, said Tyson is the largest employer in that city and so it stands to reason it also is the largest employer of documented immigrant workers.

She said she hasn't seen or heard any sign of animosity directed toward immigrant workers there.

"In fact, from our point of view, we're thankful for the workers we have," she said.

Tyson is also one of the largest employers in Garden City, said Eric Depperschmidt, president of the Finney County Economic Development Corp. in Garden City. He estimates about 3,100 people work at the meat-processing plant, including a number of Hispanics.

The other major employer there is the oil and gas industry.

"I would say Garden City is unique because we have a lot of second- and third-generation families who came in as migrant workers and decided to make it their home," Depperschmidt said. "Their commitment to the community is strong, and they want to see growth."

The population of Finney County is 49.8 percent white, 44 percent Hispanic, 3.5 percent Asian, 1.2 percent black and 1.1 percent American Indian.

Depperschmidt said the county's economy would be devastated if immigrant workers returned to Mexico.

"The effect on our community would be a strong decline in population and work force," he said. "There would be a huge loss of jobs. These are hard labor positions."

Depperschmidt said he wasn't certain if any businesses in Finney County have been fined for hiring illegals, but he is sure U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services checks on workers there.

"I don't think there's a strong issue out here," he said, adding most employers are aware of and want to stay within state and federal guidelines.

Rozelle Webb, executive director of the Liberal Chamber of Commerce, said her city would be in "dire need" if local companies couldn't draw from the immigrant population for its work force. Companies hiring "a lot of Hispanics," she said, includes beef packing and pork processing plants and the oil and gas industry.

"They make a big difference," she said. "We would be in dire need if they weren't here."

Liberal is seeing an uptick in its economy and the number of jobs available, so immigrant labor will be even more important in the future, she said. Coming soon to the city are an ethanol plant that will employ about 50 people; a trailer manufacturing company that will hire from 30 to 40 people; and a frozen food distribution company that will need about 40 employees.

But the biggest draw will be a new beef packing plant that will be built 15 miles west of the city that will break ground in January and be completed within 18 months. That plant, she said, will employ from 2,500 to 2,800 people and boost housing construction in Liberal.

Webb said the city's demographics are reflected in student population data collected by the local school district: 62 percent Hispanic, 29 percent white, 5 percent black and 4 percent Asian.

She hasn't heard anyone complaining about legal or illegal immigrant workers taking jobs away from Americans. In Liberal, if someone needed a job, they would have ample opportunity to find one, she said. The unemployment rate there is 2.3 percent.

One concern, however, is the migration of immigrant workers. Webb said a number of workers move back and forth among Dodge City, Garden City and Liberal -- known as the Golden Triangle of the state's meatpacking industry. One reason for the moves is the jobs are often temporary.

"They stay for a year or two and then move to the next city," she said, explaining it is difficult for an employer to maintain a permanent work force as a result.

Bob Wetmore, president of the Dodge City Area Chamber of Commerce, said the economy of his city is dependent upon immigrant workers, too. Wetmore said 50 percent of the Dodge City population are immigrants and 90 percent of the new hires at major employers are immigrants.

"Without immigrant workers, we wouldn't be here," he said. "We are significantly dependent on them."

Decades ago, Wetmore said, Mexican migrant workers -- mostly male -- began coming to Dodge City to work in the beef packing industry. Turnover of workers at those plants was great.

"That has changed significantly," he said. "Far and away, the vast majority are families who are putting down roots" and becoming a part of the community.

And while the workers may be sending money back to family members in Mexico, Wetmore said they also are buying homes, sport utility vehicles and other products in Dodge City.

"The Hispanic community drives a lot of our retail," he said.

Wetmore said the city's two biggest employers, Cargill Meat Solutions and National Beef, employ about 3,000 workers each, many of whom are documented immigrant workers.

"Happily, in Dodge City there has been no company fined for hiring illegals," he said.

But that doesn't mean undocumented workers aren't there or that documents presented to verify a person's eligibility to work in the United States aren't falsified.

'Awful fed up with it'

Five Mexican nationals are facing federal charges related to the production and sale of fraudulent documents to illegal immigrants in western Kansas, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Wichita.

"This case began with an investigation targeting suspected document vendors in Dodge City," U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren said in mid-October, when the Mexicans were indicted. "Investigators from the Social Security Administration, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Garden City Police Department discovered that for $700 they could easily and quickly obtain a fraudulent Social Security card and a birth certificate."

The indictment alleges document fraud, aggravated identity theft, unlawful possession of five or more identification documents and harboring illegal aliens.

In custody are Javier Vazquez, 25; Bertha Vazquez, 42; and a 28-year-old woman whose identity is unknown but is identified in court papers as V. Sanchez. Federal arrest warrants have been issued for Florentino "Tino" Vazquez, 42, and Fernando Vazquez, 22, both who remain at large, according to Jim Cross, public information officer for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

"As far as I know, this is the first case in which we have charged defendants with operating a business involving the production and sale of fraudulent documents to illegal aliens," Cross said.

It is incidents like this that fuel the ire of those who say illegal immigrants are taking jobs away from Americans and increasing crime rates. They want illegal immigrants out of the United States -- now.

"I don't think they should be in the country," said Paul Degener, of Topeka, president of Citizens for Immigration Reform. "My personal view is they should go after employers that hire these people. They ought to be fined."

Degener favors deporting all illegal immigrants and suggested that school buses that stand idle during the summer months be used to "ship them back."

He said he disagrees with those who say illegal immigrants aren't taking jobs from Americans.

"I think that's a bogus statement," he said, adding that some employers hire illegal workers for lower wages -- wages so low that "true Americans" wouldn't be willing to accept for themselves.

"It's not that they won't work jobs," he said. "It's that they won't work for such low pay."

Ed Hayes, director of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps of Kansas, said he had heard from people in the plumbing, roofing, electrical and house framing sectors who said they can't compete against the low bids being made by employers who hire illegal aliens.

One of those people is Jeff Apgar, an Olathe resident who has been in the painting business for 22 years.

Apgar alleges he was turned away from a job painting the interiors of apartments in the Lenexa area when the company that owns the apartments decided to hire illegal Mexicans instead. He said he has had to cut his prices and reduce his crew from two full-time to one part-time worker in order to compete.

"People are talking about how they don't take jobs from (Americans). That's just bull," he said.

"I'm trying to keep my head above water," Apgar said. "I could hire illegal workers, too, at a cheaper wage. But I still don't do that because I think all the money should stay here (instead of being sent to Mexico)."

"It's a growing concern among people like me," he said. "I'm just awful fed up with it."

'An emotional issue'

Carlos Serrano, owner of Elegant Temptations, an upscale bakery in Topeka, came from Puerto Villarta, Mexico, to Phoenix in 1978 at the age of 17. He crossed the U.S.-Mexico border illegally, not because he was impoverished, but because he wanted to be with an American woman with whom he had fallen in love.

"I came here with just my clothes," he said. "I didn't come here seeking fortune or money."

But once here, he realized he had to eat and pay his bills. So, he washed dishes and worked for a bakery and a landscaping business.

"Being illegal never jeopardized me finding a job," he said.

He said employers never asked him if he was "legal," and when application forms requested a visa or green card number, he simply made something up.

Serrano said he became legal when the Reagan administration granted amnesty to about 3 million illegal aliens in 1986. Since then, he has had time to consider illegal immigration from both the Mexican and American viewpoints.

And, he is left with one question, "Can you really please Americans?"

While some Americans say illegal immigrants drive wages down, other Americans are hiring illegals and paying them low wages so they can see bigger profits.

While some Americans complain illegal workers are taking jobs away from them, other Americans are building companies in border towns inside Mexico so they can hire less expensive labor.

"Do you know how many (U.S. residents) became billionaires because of us and because they took advantage of us? These people are not saying to deport us," Serrano said.

Gonzalez-Vallejo, the family development worker with Community Action, said those engaged in the illegal immigration discussion need to leave their emotions and stereotypes behind if any solution is to be achieved.

"Address it in a realistically and rational way," he said. "We must have laws and enforce them, but be realistic about your needs and the needs of the other person."

Gonzalez-Vallejo said he isn't in favor of "opening the doors and letting all the people in," and he doesn't like the attitude behind the granting of amnesty.

"I don't like the word 'amnesty' because it means you did something wrong and because I'm such a good guy I'll forget it," he said. "Amnesty is an emotional issue. Let's recognize that some people have been here five, 10 years. They are honorable citizens, been productive and part of the economy, and let's recognize it through the legal process."

What he doesn't want to happen is the creation of another welfare-like system where a subclass of Latino people become "parasites" and dependent on others.

When immigrants needing employment come to his office, he tells them they have to be more aggressive in hunting for jobs. He tells them not to lie about being illegal and to sell their skills, not themselves. He tells them to be proud of who they are.

"One way or the other, they will stay here," he said, "and we are incubating a real social problem in the community."

Emily Serrano, the wife of Carlos Serrano, said she doesn't know what the right answer is when it comes to solving immigration issues.

"But I think Americans need to remember," she said, "unless you're an Indian, you're an immigrant, too."

Jan Biles can be reached at (785) 295-1292 or jan.biles@cjonline.com

http://cjonline.com/stories/111906/bus_ ... main.shtml
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Unauthorized migrant
    ILLEGAL ALIEN INVADER

There's no talk about immigration at the Topeka chamber," he said.
    Duhhhh! That is because the chamber of commence is part of the problem nimnuts! Of course I know you think we are all stupid!

"I want to know one thing," he said. "If by any chance, (the government) would take all of the illegal workers in Topeka (away), to you as president of the chamber of commerce, how many businesses in Topeka must close immediately for at least one week or more?"
    That sounds like a threat. So you encourage illegal behavior? You encourage law breaking? To you America is nothing but a dollar so who cares about anything else but a buck?

If not, then we will pay the price."
    You traitorous fool we are already paying the price and if we don't stop it we will pay the ultimate price!

He said Tyson has never been fined for hiring undocumented workers.
    Over the last 6 years or so hardly anybody else has either so what is your point?

"The effect on our community would be a strong decline in population and work force," he said. "There would be a huge loss of jobs. These are hard labor positions."
    You've help to create the situation and now to defend it you attempt to threaten and scare people.

Rozelle Webb, executive director of the Liberal Chamber of Commerce, said her city would be in "dire need" if local companies couldn't draw from the immigrant population for its work force.
    The chamber of commerce is one of the big pushers and implementers of this whole mess so what else are you going to say? BTW very appropriate name.

"I don't like the word 'amnesty' because it means you did something wrong
    You did do something wrong and so has every other illegal immigrant!

"One way or the other, they will stay here,"
    Wanna bet?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

What he doesn't want to happen is the creation of another welfare-like system where a subclass of Latino people become "parasites" and dependent on others.

But this is precisely what is happening with illegals, and the same will happen with legal "guest-worker programs" unless they are very strictly regulated. If these people are being exploited for cheap labor, a "welfare" system has to provide the health care, housing other necessary assistance at taxpayer expense. That's tru for any illegal or legal guest worker, whether Latinio, Asian, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlturaCt
    Duhhhh! That is because the chamber of commence is part of the problem nimnuts! Of course I know you think we are all stupid!
    Another lie put forward by local Chambers is that foreign offshoring somehow 'magically' generates jobs. The myth of insourcing (the ridiculous idea that Americans get foreign jobs when American jobs are offshored) had its big boost with the local Chambers. Here is another example of their propaganda. Doesn't suprise me that they support illegal immigration as well...

http://www.uschamber.com/publications/m ... 6_08_1.htm

Outsourcing Creates Jobs Here
    A new report, Jobs, Trade, Sourcing, and the Future of the American Workforce, by the U.S. Chamber found little hard data to support fears about outsourcing and claims of an impending exodus of U.S. jobs overseas. Moreover, the Chamber report says that critics of outsourcing often overlook the benefits, such as the creation of jobs by foreign firms that open operations in the United States.

Distributed to members of Congress and the administration, the report found that direct foreign investment now exceeds $487 billion and supports 6.4 million jobs in the United States. In fact, looking at services trade, insourcing beats outsourcing by nearly $60 billion annually. The McKinsey Global Institute even estimates that every dollar of costs the United States moves offshore brings America a net benefit of $1.12 to $1.14.

[The above report failed to point out that the jobs generated actually go to recent immigrants, foreign temporary laborers such as H1-B's and illegal aliens.]

AlturaCT, Excellent rebuttal and I hope you get to take on the "big guys" on a televised news show debate. Hats off to ya!

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

As always, great job, Altura !

If we've said it once, we've said it a million times:

IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY AN AMERICAN CITIZEN A LIVEABLE WAGE, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS!!

GO GET A JOB WITH A REAL COMPANY LIKE THE REST OF US HAVE TO DO.

It's as simple as that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    As always, great job, Altura !

If we've said it once, we've said it a million times:

IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY AN AMERICAN CITIZEN A LIVEABLE WAGE, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS!!

GO GET A JOB WITH A REAL COMPANY LIKE THE REST OF US HAVE TO DO.

It's as simple as that.
    That's why I havent hired anyone and work 16-20 hours a day. I pay twice as much in taxes then most Americans, but I love what I do. When I do need employees, they will get health care and decent wages.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

millere it is amazing to what lengths (lies) they will go!

Coto & Legal -

United We Stand!

I pay twice as much in taxes then most Americans, but I love what I do. When I do need employees, they will get health care and decent wages.
    Bless you jp! It is sad and actually a slap in the face how some people bastardize the whole idea of capitalism IMO to the detriment of a stable society and sovereign nation. The whole idea is to make money and have a good profit but has never been the only consideration at least to the point of extracting all possible profits without regards to anything else but that. To be a healthy and strong nation we need our businesses to work with we citizens to show concern for and work towards what is good for America and her sovereignty. Turn on the TV today or open any newspaper and it is obvious we are by and large viewed as just consumers. Even the government calls us customers. While consumers we are. We are also neighbors and fellow Americans!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee