Employers face tough EU penalties on illegal immigrants Print Email+ Share+ 19/02/2009 - 18:47:16
Euro-MPs today voted for EU-wide criminal sanctions on employers hiring illegal immigrants.

The plan proposed by the European Commission is seen as one of the toughest pieces of judicial and social legislation yet attempted at EU level.

If approved by EU governments, it would involve financial penalties – criminal sanctions in the worst cases – and a ban on employers bidding for public sector contracts or receiving state aid for five years.

But the UK would not be affected because the Government will trigger its opt-out from EU legislation affecting justice and social policy.

However, the rules would drastically change the balance in the European fight against illegal migrant workers: employers would be criminalised and not the migrant. So, while their bosses would face action, the illegally-employed workers would be granted legal conditions of employment in the firm.

Earlier this month Labour MEP Claude Moraes commented: “Everyone is trying to reduce the ’pull’ factor of illegal immigration by tackling the employers of the illegal workers.

“But in my time as an MEP I don’t think I’ve seen a proposal that goes quite this far, with a move into criminal law in the field of social policy and specifically employment.â€