Enforce immigration laws
6:33 PM Sat, May 08, 2010
Letter to the Editor

President Barack Obama has said that the Arizona illegal immigration law "threatens to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans." I would argue that what is fair is following our country's laws and receiving a visa to come in first.

What is not fair is my immigrant aunt paying thousands of dollars and waiting five years for a visa, while illegal immigrants undermine our national laws and walk in for free.

I have been around other teenagers and adults who say that we have a moral obligation to welcome anyone who wants the American dream.

These people miss the mark completely. Immigration laws laws are not there to deny immigrants a living wage or to deny basic rights or freedom. They are there to prevent crime, drug violence, and terrorists from entering our borders.

They are there to give those who truly worked hard and long for chance to legally come to America. The intention of the new Arizona law was to help the Arizonans.

We can look to Farmers Branch for a true justification for immigration laws: Residents wanted crime and poverty to be eliminated. But threatening cries of racism and "Nazi" have hindered our country from enforcing the very laws that we make.

Christine Brock, 11th grader at Berkner High School, Richardson http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnew ... migra.html