Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

English now required in state driver exams

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2008/Nov ... ews003.asp

A new standard for Missouri driver’s licenses is about to take effect: Speak English or forget about getting a driver’s license.

After the overwhelming passage of Amendment 1, the change to the Missouri Constitution prohibits the state from giving driver’s license tests in any language other than English, according to most interpretations of the new law.

The amendment is the newest of several barriers to people with limited English skills seeking to get a driver’s license. It might also make the roads safer, said some who fear the translated examination has allowed on the road people unable to communicate in the event of an emergency.

The Columbia Drivers Examination Station on Vandiver Drive, however, continues to administer written tests in 13 languages. Seven languages are available on a computer system, and six more are available in a paper version. Administrators said they have not received orders to cease giving the test and will continue to do so until those orders come down from the Missouri State Highway Patrol Driver’s Examination Division in Jefferson City.

"We do get a lot of international students in here, and it’s convenient for them and helpful for them to take the test in their own language," said Janice Anderson, a testing monitor. "Now as far as the road-sign test and the actual skills test, they have to know English and have to recognize signs and have to be able to take instructions from examiners out on the road."

Anderson said Chinese and Korean are the two most commonly requested tests at her office. The test offered in a foreign language is a 25-question exam concerning the rules of the road and safe driving. About half of all test-takers fail it on their first attempt.

The ability to get a Missouri license without speaking English has been seriously curtailed this year:

â—
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

How do you get something like that on the ballot? I would like to start one here in Ca (yeah I know, good luck).

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    How do you get something like that on the ballot? I would like to start one here in Ca (yeah I know, good luck).
    I know, good luck with that.. They will be protesting all day long and calling us biggots and racists!!
    "Ask not what your country can do for you --ask what you can do for your country" John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by agrneydgrl
    I would love that too agreydgrl. I think we should start with the mayor and elect Walter Moore in March of 09. I saw a car with his bumper sticker on it on Monday! I caught up to the car and honked and yelled "Yeah, Walter Moore for mayor"! He gave me the thumbs up. We need to pass the word on about him. Once we have him in place it will be much easier to get initatives like this on the ballots.

Wonderful.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great news!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow, I'm sending that to legislators in Illinois.

Great!!!